Alpha:Virgil:Brain

Started by TLMike, October 11, 2013, 02:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keldor314

Quote from: asmussen on October 15, 2013, 06:26:49 PM
Quote from: teknotiss on October 11, 2013, 07:00:31 PM
i believe there are some concerns about score hacking on the first mission, so perhaps we have cheater/s already?
oh well so it goes, some people are so sad  ::)

Although it's possible that this was score hacking, for this particular mission, since it's solvable using a predetermined key sequence, I still think that the 0 times may have been done using some sort of keyboard macro or other method to automatically send a sequence of keys to the program faster than anybody could possibly type them.

Let's see.  It should take 256 key presses to finish the puzzle.   How many game ticks per second?  Also, can you activate more than 1 totem per tick?  Probably not, since I think the script is only run from a single CRPL timer (if it were run from more than one, you could potentially press multiple keys and have different scripts picking up on them).  Thus, theoretical best time with a macro would be 256/ticks per second.

TLMike

Quote from: keldor314 on October 15, 2013, 10:05:21 PM
Thus, theoretical best time with a macro would be 256/ticks per second.

This may be the case. And my understanding of Crpl Scripting is that scripts execute every frame. Then the minimum time for this mission should be 1 keystroke per frame, which is 256/30, or 8.533 seconds.

asmussen

Well, if only one totem can be activated per frame, that would definitely shoot a hole in my theory.
Shawn Asmussen

TLMike

Well. Who knows, really. There's some code in the Script that resets the mission timer when you hit Space. So maybe someone has a macro capable of hitting all the keys and space--thereby resetting the timer--before the victory message comes up. Or maybe I'm reading way too much into this and I should let it go :P

iycgtptyarvg

Quote from: TLMike on October 15, 2013, 06:00:54 PM
Quote from: iycgtptyarvg on October 15, 2013, 05:47:34 PM
I don't quite understand this map. So, it's a puzzle instead of a level? Can someone give me an idea/hint what I have to do? It's the only map I haven't finished in the star system.

It is, in fact, a puzzle. Victory conditions are met when you activate all 8 Totems. I recommend using the number keys to activate the totems instead of clicking, as that takes forever.

The solution is:
Spoiler
not here. But, I can tell you that you can only activate a totem if the number just before it is active and the other preceding numbers are not. Example: If you wish to activate Totem 3, you must have Totem 2 active, and Totem 1 offline. To do this, you must type: 1, 2, 1, 3, 1. This will activate Totem 1, which allows you to activate Totem 2. But, you cannot activate Totem 3 until Totem 1 is offline. If you follow this pattern all the way to Totem 8, the solution easily reveals itself.
[close]

Also, Good luck!
Aha, ok. I didn't get that from the description at all. I must have clicked it away before reading the explanation at the start of the level.

Edit:
Ok, I finished it. It reminded me of the Tower of Hanoi (the 3 pegs and the discs you have to move).

thepenguin

I think it has something to do with pressing the space key during the victory sequence.
We have become the creeper...

jsmith45

Quote from: iycgtptyarvg on October 16, 2013, 12:52:09 PM
Quote from: TLMike on October 15, 2013, 06:00:54 PM
Quote from: iycgtptyarvg on October 15, 2013, 05:47:34 PM
I don't quite understand this map. So, it's a puzzle instead of a level? Can someone give me an idea/hint what I have to do? It's the only map I haven't finished in the star system.

It is, in fact, a puzzle. Victory conditions are met when you activate all 8 Totems. I recommend using the number keys to activate the totems instead of clicking, as that takes forever.

The solution is:
Spoiler
not here. But, I can tell you that you can only activate a totem if the number just before it is active and the other preceding numbers are not. Example: If you wish to activate Totem 3, you must have Totem 2 active, and Totem 1 offline. To do this, you must type: 1, 2, 1, 3, 1. This will activate Totem 1, which allows you to activate Totem 2. But, you cannot activate Totem 3 until Totem 1 is offline. If you follow this pattern all the way to Totem 8, the solution easily reveals itself.
[close]

Also, Good luck!
Aha, ok. I didn't get that from the description at all. I must have clicked it away before reading the explanation at the start of the level.

Edit:
Ok, I finished it. It reminded me of the Tower of Hanoi (the 3 pegs and the discs you have to move).

It is indeed related to the Tower Of Hanoi. Details spoilered because this technically gives the solution:
Spoiler
If the smallest disk is numbered 1 and the largest disk is numbered 8, then the optimal solution to this puzzle is to press number of the disk you move in the corresponding step of the optimal solution to the Tower of Hanoi.

See http://oeis.org/A001511 for more about this sequence.
[close]

Jacobkolstad

I am very sure everyone who beats an mission in 00:00 is using cheats.

Grauniad

Quote from: Jacobkolstad on October 31, 2013, 05:19:21 AM
I am very sure everyone who beats an mission in 00:00 is using cheats.
Most likely. :)

If you come across a score like that, please alert Virgil and he'll take care of it.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

TLMike

I think dodgy scores are the smallest thing on V's plate at the moment. With that, I'm letting them lie.

PMouser

Hi, I am a Bible believing christian.
I am a Youngevity distributor.

Relli

Quote from: PMouser on February 10, 2014, 01:45:41 AM
i cant figure this out

This puzzle is all about how the totems relate to each other. Each one has a specific method of turning off and on, and the overall rule is the same for all totems. Once you figure out what that rule is, the rest becomes pretty much easy. If you need it, I'll spoiler a hint for you.
Spoiler
A totem decides whether it can be turned on or not ONLY by the totems to the left of it, never to the right.
[close]

Flabort

Hey, Virgil. You said you used to be able to get under 20 seconds on the puzzle. I assume that's with 8 boxes/totems/whatever... but since the rules of the puzzle are so simple (basically), the puzzle could be extended to even larger versions. What do you think, in your speed-typing prime, your fastest time would have been with 16 keys (1-9, (1)0, and A-F)? 36 (0-Z)? What about now with your (still fast but) slower typing speed?

In theory, would adding one key double the average speed-time for the puzzle, or just add a little fraction of time?

Edit: @Response: Wow, so that's 43690 keystrokes to solve it at 16 totems. That's... a lot. 257 times the number for 8 totems.  :o That would take... 64:25 if 8 totems takes 00:15, not taking getting tired into account.
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

knucracker

1 Totem :   1 Key press to solve
2 Totems :  2 Key presses to solve
3 Totems :  5 Key presses to solve
4 Totems :  10 Key presses to solve
5 Totems :  21 Key presses to solve
6 Totems :  42 Key presses to solve
7 Totem :   85 Key presses to solve
8 Totems :  170 Key presses to solve

So as you can see each extra totem either either doubles, or doubles plus 1 the number of required key presses.
At 16 totems I wouldn't have the stamina to keep up a high rate of key presses.

ZackNAttack

The solution is
Spoiler
A secret
No,seriously!
It will ruin the fun!
Fine... I give up
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler