Tormented space zone

Started by Imposter, October 06, 2013, 05:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imposter

So I tried to do one map in the tormented space zone, and ended up dead rather easily without even having a clue to win it. I get the feeling this zone is for the masochistic players, haha. For now I think I'll stick to the prospector and alpha zones xP

Karsten75

Sure there are a lot of probably unbeatable maps, but once I'm in the Tormented zone, the Prospector zone is kind of boring because it's just too easy.

Imposter

Well, I've only done about 3ish maps in the prospector zone so far, and enjoyed them. Though, what I'm more so looking forward too is what custom scenarios people manage to cook up, when the map sharing becomes more streamlined. It will be cool to see the custom campaigns people come up with.

joshuad156

I too have found more than few maps that feel unbeatable in the Tormented space zone.    I'm sure I can do better, but I've started noticing some very small maps, with some very overpowered emitters, that give you no opportunity to build any defense whatsoever.  One map in particular was able to completely cover all terrain with creeper in under 60 seconds.  I'm totally convinced this map is impossible.

Currently, I'm just trying to unlock all the inhibitor levels so I can at least open all the worlds.  Then I'll go back and start clearing out all the unbeaten zones.  For this, I'm super happy that virgilw gave us an interface that allows us to quickly visualize which systems have unbeaten planets still.

teknotiss

there is no guarantee that a tormented map will be beatable, almost all will but because of the nature of the maps generation (no V didn't make them all by hand, if he had to do that we'd be having this conversation in 2014/15 ::)) some may be impossible.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

joshuad156

I assume these maps are the same from install to install, but at some point were all automagically generated.  Would have been nice to at least have someone play test these to ensure that they were beatable.

Grauniad

Quote from: joshuad156 on October 07, 2013, 12:41:16 PM
I assume these maps are the same from install to install, but at some point were all automagically generated.  Would have been nice to at least have someone play test these to ensure that they were beatable.

"beatable" is a moving definition. :)  What is beatable for you may not be for me. :)   Tormented Space is intended to live up to it's name...

Easier maps are in Prospector and DMD ... :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

orzelek

Anyone else thinks that both Prospector and Tormented zones are missing shields/shield keys.
It's especially visible in Tormented zone when your "score" counts only defeated warp inhibitors and skips all other planets.

teknotiss

you could just play those maps  ::) and pretend they need to be visited to move on from the system  ;)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Imposter

So how were the prospector maps created in comparison to the tormented maps? Were the prospector maps not also randomly generated? Or were they generated using a different method? I can't imagine he created all of those maps personally as well.

teknotiss

they were generated too, but with a "kinder"  ;) set of settings, so less chance of impossible maps in the prospector zone.

steveman0

I'd imagine they were generated with the DMD with variation programmed in and the tormented zone maps simply had the creeper set to the higher ranges in comparison to the the prospector zone.

Lord_Farin

Quote from: Karsten75 on October 06, 2013, 10:02:50 AM
Sure there are a lot of probably unbeatable maps, but once I'm in the Tormented zone, the Prospector zone is kind of boring because it's just too easy.

Second that! 't Was a bit of a shock from Prospector zone to aliancasterer, but these maps are thoroughly enjoyable -- I'm on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Speaking of aliancasterer, the time set by mika is insane! I'd love to see a video on how to attain 12 minutes. I can probably shave off two or three minutes of my 19 minute time by playing more meticulously, but 12 minutes is out of my league for now.
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

NNR_Alex

Quote from: Lord_Farin on October 11, 2013, 05:22:36 PM
Quote from: Karsten75 on October 06, 2013, 10:02:50 AM

Second that! 't Was a bit of a shock from Prospector zone to aliancasterer, but these maps are thoroughly enjoyable -- I'm on the edge of my seat the whole time.

Speaking of aliancasterer, the time set by mika is insane! I'd love to see a video on how to attain 12 minutes. I can probably shave off two or three minutes of my 19 minute time by playing more meticulously, but 12 minutes is out of my league for now.
I'd just like to get to the point that I can beat aliancasterer.  At least I've beaten one or two other tormented sector maps.  Mostly sticking to the alpha sector for now.