Custom Map #1018: Tower Defence. By: Vector Defence Inc.

Started by AutoPost, January 01, 2018, 04:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1018: Tower Defence

Author: Vector Defence Inc.
Size: 200x250

Desc:
Tower Defence, Particle Fleet Style.

Grand Teki

I quite liked the idea of tower defense in PF, but I didn't have an idea how to do it. I won't try, balancing it would be hell...
Also, the map could have been a little easier. I mainly had problems after the last power level 10 mine and the miring progress really slowed down because particulate was getting through. The ship was hard to defeat, it regenerated too fast.
All in all, you did a good job getting this into PF, just a bit harder than I imagined :D
TFW quarantie
I'm @Grand Teki#2977 on Discord.

Behind these googly eyes, lies an introvert.

Contego

Quote from: Grand Teki on January 02, 2018, 07:56:13 AM
I quite liked the idea of tower defense in PF, but I didn't have an idea how to do it. I won't try, balancing it would be hell...
Also, the map could have been a little easier. I mainly had problems after the last power level 10 mine and the miring progress really slowed down because particulate was getting through. The ship was hard to defeat, it regenerated too fast.
All in all, you did a good job getting this into PF, just a bit harder than I imagined :D

Hey there, thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed it for the most part. I tried to make it challenging, but fair, but perhaps a bit too far into the challenging towards the end. I know there are a lot of Particle fleet veterans who I suspected would make mince meat of my map, so I wanted them to at least try in beating it xD

Anyway, here are a couple tips for the problems you were facing. Shields are fantastic for stopping small amounts of Particle slipping by and hitting your home, I would build them sometime before the last 10 mine. Ideally at a time your energy is around it's limit as the drain on building it won't drain your bank all the way. In-fact, I always build two around that time to maximize their effectiveness. Two shields stacked up is actually enough to kill the 'normal' big ship, the non-dopple one.

As for those pesky giant ships at the end, the only way to dispatch of them is concentrated firepower, a lot of it. I suggest starting construction on two of the massive turrets at the same time as soon as you hit the 40 mine. By the time they're finished, you'll have enough energy to maintain them. I'd actually go further and start building your third big turret just before hitting the second 40 mine. The best big turret for killing them is also the Bertha, I set mine to only target Dopple and Normal enemy ships.

Then, build the big towers close to each-other, that way they'll bully the final boss ships into submission. I hope this helps ^^

Grand Teki

QuoteHey there, thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed it for the most part. I tried to make it challenging, but fair, but perhaps a bit too far into the challenging towards the end. I know there are a lot of Particle fleet veterans who I suspected would make mince meat of my map, so I wanted them to at least try in beating it xD

Anyway, here are a couple tips for the problems you were facing. Shields are fantastic for stopping small amounts of Particle slipping by and hitting your home, I would build them sometime before the last 10 mine. Ideally at a time your energy is around it's limit as the drain on building it won't drain your bank all the way. In-fact, I always build two around that time to maximize their effectiveness. Two shields stacked up is actually enough to kill the 'normal' big ship, the non-dopple one.

As for those pesky giant ships at the end, the only way to dispatch of them is concentrated firepower, a lot of it. I suggest starting construction on two of the massive turrets at the same time as soon as you hit the 40 mine. By the time they're finished, you'll have enough energy to maintain them. I'd actually go further and start building your third big turret just before hitting the second 40 mine. The best big turret for killing them is also the Bertha, I set mine to only target Dopple and Normal enemy ships.

Then, build the big towers close to each-other, that way they'll bully the final boss ships into submission. I hope this helps ^^
I managed to beat it, figured out that I should start building the station way before i unlock the 40 power mine.
TFW quarantie
I'm @Grand Teki#2977 on Discord.

Behind these googly eyes, lies an introvert.

Keeper Decagon

Let me say, I LOVE this map! As a big fan of TD games in general, and the neat implementation of "towers" into this map, I gave this map a straight 10. Good job!
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

Contego

Quote from: Keeper Decagon on January 02, 2018, 10:52:33 AM
Let me say, I LOVE this map! As a big fan of TD games in general, and the neat implementation of "towers" into this map, I gave this map a straight 10. Good job!

Awesome! I'm glad you enjoyed the map, and the rating is very appreciated ^^

Anonymeus

Probably the best TD map in the knucklecracker universe so far.

It was tower defence that brought me to creeper world in the first place (when my wife asked what I was playing I would reply "it's freeform plants versus zombies") ;D

theachevah

I absolutely love this idea!  ;D
Playing it was fun!
What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!

Dave!

Great map :)

Loved playing it both ways  (speed win ) and following the natural progression of the map.

Extremely well balanced and thought out map  10/10 from me.

Khaesho

So this map has some tasty, TASTY cheese in it. If you build a laser bot in either of the left end positions in the middle prong, then you have enough energy leftover to build a basic canon. You can wedge this basic canon into any corner of the actual path, and if you wedge it into either of the bottom right corners, the canons can clear away the mire, allowing you to build additional energy mines waaaaaaaaay earlier than you should.

My Ez Chzy win guide; begin the map by starting construction of the laser reactor grid in that top slot (CMD node is cheap, and the reactors make it self-sustaining.) Build a Laser thing in the far left position, lower corner (To catch early particulate) And build a basic in any of the lowest squares. After the basic is done, (or close to it) start construction on your build bot, and move the canon outside to a corner (its precise, but it'll fit.) From there, it can clear the mire, and your build bot can zoom over to build additional energy mines as soon as it's complete. With the extra energy, you can build an early kill bot to nuke the emitter by the command ship, and after your laser grid is complete, you can effectively build literally everything without worrying about energy.

Cheerio mate. Hella fun map!

CyberDyneSystems

1. Fantastic Idea! (love T.D. games, and Loved Vector Defense!)

2. Brilliant execution! I don't know if it was my time playing T.D. games like Vector defense or what, but I paid attention to your tutorial and beat it the first time I played. Still it was plenty challenging.

Your use of ship size to limit what could go where really made it feel familiar with the T.D. idea,. the mire count down to unlock power was a good tool to help handle the building difficulty.

One thing that I felt was missing, in Vector TD (and most TD games) there is a "freeze" gun that slows down the incoming units. Well, the bilue particle beams in Particle Fleet would have made a nice addition in that regard.

Awesome! loved it!

pasqualz

Just came upon this map and loved it! Does anyone know of other TD style particle fleet maps??? I'd love to play some more!