Custom Map #1844: 3 Caves

Started by AutoPost, December 31, 2012, 08:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1844: 3 Caves

Author: Tiuipuv

Desc:
Perhaps a difficult start, then a race to the caves before they get to you. Limited energy, but tons of ore.

Angel

Excelent map dude. Took me a few tries to figure out how to get past the beginning, but really good map!  ;D I loved it.
All of my maps take a few things:
1. Patience.
2. Saving often/trying different things every time.
3. Knowing that the simple is always wrong.
4. Love for your great Angel who spends hours and possibly days on maps that people hate. :D

Tiuipuv

Thanks. I think I may have suffered from "play-test too many times" syndrome. Initially I had made no anti-creeper emitter, but it seemed like the start might be too rushed for fresh players. I think the anti-creeper also adds some new options for completing the map. It really begs to be used in some creative way, but I can't come up with anything unique. The fields between the caves also made for some interesting opportunities. Would anyone care to share their strategy? I suppose I'll post mine, because I currently have the fastest time.  ???

Spoiler

I dug straight for the red gem and rushed the left emitter. Shields bought me time, and the anti-creeper let me ignore the right emitter. I used the gem to build 6-7 reactors underground, and a couple more shields. More reactors, and a launcher (all underground). More shields, and 2 blasters. When the blasters completed, they attacked from above the emitter. Nullifier as soon as possible. In the meantime, I built a launcher and repulsor on the right. The launcher would soften the creeper around the right emitter and the creeper coming from the cave. When the repulsor is placed facing left, it can push the anti-creeper out of its field, flooding the base and helping the launcher. Once the left emitter is nullified, the map was really straightforward. Reactors, makers, blasters, launchers. The next target would be the right surface emitter, and at the same time go for the gem in the middle. I dug out the middle (I saved room for some reactors), and put some launchers on the edges to soften the creeper in the caves. Makers and blasters went in, and quickly destroyed the rest of the map. 1 maker set to vacuum could provide lots of ore for those below.
[close]
What?! Why? How? Just work, you field!

teknotiss

similar strategy from me, but i went for shields on the last part of the lefthand AC so when the c broke it there was a surge of AC to reblock the shield spot for a few more secs. i built as many reactors as pos, with one blaster keeping the C down a bit, then built 2 more and a launcher to get the kill on the left emitter. then i went for vac'ing the AC and makers to support the attack on other emitters.
loved this map, after i worked out how to get going. nice one dude!  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus