A mission objective: BEAT ALL "Number" maps 1-1000~

Started by Colin, August 03, 2011, 01:29:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin

To fight back the Creeper all you need is. . . What? Energy.
My maps CW1 are located here try out my MIS series.

DethbyIT

Map set2E 535-542 (Completed)
:)

Back to custom for a bit, then back on the next set.

Colin

Updated, and whatever system works for
you. I don't really care.  ;)

Cavemaniac

Map set1T 421-428 completed, all on med/med.

428 was a b@$t@rd - even on med/med - things were so tight it would have been worthy of an evil map maker! I lost count of how many re-starts it took but I refused to go 'easy'!

Give it a try if you're looking for a challenge!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Cavemaniac

Colin

Kithros

Quote from: Cavemaniac on October 25, 2011, 04:01:13 PM

Map set1T 421-428 completed, all on med/med.

428 was a b@$t@rd - even on med/med - things were so tight it would have been worthy of an evil map maker! I lost count of how many re-starts it took but I refused to go 'easy'!

Give it a try if you're looking for a challenge!

Kind of off topic, but this is how I started 428 on small/high (or medium/high potentially - I think medium/high is a bit easier because of crystal placement though) - I don't think this one on small/high is possible without abusing the LS drone evasion quite significantly.

Spoiler
[close]

For the more interesting one this is how I would start it on large/high (this strategy should work even more easily on medium/medium I think where you don't need to worry about the creeper field):

Spoiler
[close]

From here I build shields as necessary to stall, and whenever the fields turn left and up I can rebuild the shields forward again. Build up reactor farm and such and it's pretty straightforward from there.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: Kithros on October 25, 2011, 05:49:06 PM

Kind of off topic, but this is how I started 428 on small/high (or medium/high potentially - I think medium/high is a bit easier because of crystal placement though) - I don't think this one on small/high is possible without abusing the LS drone evasion quite significantly.

Ah! But did you try med/med?! The constant stream of drones and phantoms was a killer!

Actually, med/med was the only way I tried this level.

It was really interesting to see your screen-shots and I appreciate the effort you went to to bring them to us.

It was good to get someone else's take on how to tackle a problem. I'm kinda playing CW2 in a vacuum here - for all I know I'm the only player in the darn country so I'm kinda making it up as I go along!

428 was a good challenge after a stream of straight-forward code maps.

Hope you enjoyed it.

Oh, and we're probably not too far off topic - this pertains to the challenge Colin set!

lich98

working on map set 2x 715-735 special only medium length
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

Kithros

428 on large/high is pretty much a harder version of the medium/medium one - the build directions are worse (didn't realize that they were all direction until my position was already secure, there are no fields, the max drone count for the gateway was a lot higher and 10 phantoms instead of 4 - in medium/medium I just fly into the left emitter chamber, pick up the green gem, dig the LS in, and pick up the white gem just to build up faster. The creeper will pretty much never threaten the LS (or rather, you should be on the offensive long before that happens). Use shields to block the drones as necessary.

Spoiler
[close]

DethbyIT

RE: 428 -
For Medium/Medium, I found it easier to take out the top right Emitter first and then work my way clock-wise...using the gravity to carry AC across the Creeper fields.

I do like that concept of hiding the LS in a cave though.

Colin

Quote from: Cavemaniac on October 26, 2011, 03:40:36 AM
Oh, and we're probably not too far off topic - this pertains to the challenge Colin set!

Yup, feel free to discuss any code maps you
find that were fun!  ;)

Updated main post.

Cavemaniac

Quote from: DethbyIT on October 26, 2011, 11:41:31 AM
RE: 428 -
For Medium/Medium, I found it easier to take out the top right Emitter first and then work my way clock-wise...using the gravity to carry AC across the Creeper fields.

That's the way I did it - but I found it was a death match against the drones with limited resources and nowhere (safe) to build, and just as you're starting to make progress the phantoms show up!

Quote from: DethbyIT on October 26, 2011, 11:41:31 AM

I do like that concept of hiding the LS in a cave though.

I know! How cool is that? Somewhere safe to call your home where you can raise a little reactor farm...

Glad this map stirred some discussion!

Destroyer333

set3z 743-750
Done: 743,
Not Done: 744, 745, 746, 747, 748, 749, 750

Colin

Sure thing, I'll update the main post!

Good luck.  ;)

EDIT:

Also, looks like were starting to get close
to the 4th map set as this is starting to
pick up again. I'll post a new map set
tomorrow.