Started by AutoPost, June 10, 2021, 04:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riskbreaker

Quote from: Lappan on June 17, 2021, 07:43:35 PM
Quote from: Riskbreaker on June 13, 2021, 12:29:13 PM
Spoiler
wait, you people actually built beams? i only used the singularity
[close]
You certainly achieved a spectacular time! With the spores relaunching so quickly I couldn't see a way to avoid beams (e.g. build a sacrificial collector to trigger a mass firing, but the next launch will come in 15 seconds so not enough time to build and charge a nullifier, etc) - would you like to explain your approach?

Spoiler
Well, main point was martin's announced mistake in letting the AE tower inside nullifier range within that second island. So i just guppied to the top and nullified the inhibitor. And yes, i used a decoy (or else spores kill guppy bay before reaching landing up there), all while keeping creeper away with singularities.
[close]

Lappan

Quote from: Riskbreaker on June 17, 2021, 09:14:55 PM
Spoiler
[close]
You certainly achieved a spectacular time! With the spores relaunching so quickly I couldn't see a way to avoid beams (e.g. build a sacrificial collector to trigger a mass firing, but the next launch will come in 15 seconds so not enough time to build and charge a nullifier, etc) - would you like to explain your approach?

Spoiler
Well, main point was martin's announced mistake in letting the AE tower inside nullifier range within that second island. So i just guppied to the top and nullified the inhibitor. And yes, i used a decoy (or else spores kill guppy bay before reaching landing up there), all while keeping creeper away with singularities.
[close]
I'm impressed that you had enough energy for enough singularities - is there a way to build collectors or reactors that doesn't attract spores? My approach started with the forge+tokens using almost all energy to generate singularities to keep the southern island creeper corralled in the NW and using spare aether to max out energy production, fire range and build rate, then building a load of beams and accumulating a lot of energy so that finally the island could be "instantly" covered with a grid of collectors backed by a load of reactors and fronted by the beams, such that the beams then stayed powered through the hailstorm. But before the collectors+reactors were created I had very little energy beyond keeping the tokens+forge powered.

Martin Gronsdal

problem with making maps for you guys is that for every decent idea I have, I will make a few mistakes and you will find trillions of ways to walk around it ;)

Lappan

Quote from: Martin Gronsdal on June 18, 2021, 06:05:12 AM
problem with making maps for you guys is that for every decent idea I have, I will make a few mistakes and you will find trillions of ways to walk around it ;)
Heh - it's awesome that you're doing this at all! I had been mourning the apparent departure of stdout from the CW3 making scene (his were sooooo pretty...) so your flood of novelties was most welcome.

But one question - how do you get the timing / quantities so well tuned? Do you work from a calculator (I can imagine some monstrous Excel sheet using the autosolver to tweak creeper flows), or just lots of trials? [although given how many maps you've been making it would be a 24/7 enterprise if you needed more than a few play-throughs]

Riskbreaker

Quote from: Lappan on June 18, 2021, 03:20:53 AM
Quote from: Riskbreaker on June 17, 2021, 09:14:55 PM
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]
I'm impressed that you had enough energy for enough singularities - is there a way to build collectors or reactors that doesn't attract spores? My approach started with the forge+tokens using almost all energy to generate singularities to keep the southern island creeper corralled in the NW and using spare aether to max out energy production, fire range and build rate, then building a load of beams and accumulating a lot of energy so that finally the island could be "instantly" covered with a grid of collectors backed by a load of reactors and fronted by the beams, such that the beams then stayed powered through the hailstorm. But before the collectors+reactors were created I had very little energy beyond keeping the tokens+forge powered.

well, i just upgraded energy production and it was enough to sustain the singularities...the totems were very powerful, so i did not try to use all of them

Martin Gronsdal

Those who built power and beams - where did you keep the CN? Oh, and where did you build the power and beams?

Lappan

Quote from: Martin Gronsdal on June 18, 2021, 10:10:14 AM
Those who built power and beams - where did you keep the CN? Oh, and where did you build the power and beams?
CN cuddled up with the forge, upgraded everything useful, slowly built a wall of beams and finally built the collector grid to keep them fed

Martin Gronsdal

OMG (spoken with TikTok voice)

I thought it was easier to use the middle island and send one guppy to feed the forge.
Plenty of PZ's to house reactors and beams

Lappan

Quote from: Martin Gronsdal on June 18, 2021, 05:31:04 PM
OMG (spoken with TikTok voice)

I thought it was easier to use the middle island and send one guppy to feed the forge.
Plenty of PZ's to house reactors and beams
I tried that, but my problem was that by the time I flew the CN up to the middle island the forge+tokens were just about unpowered, after which I couldn't fire more singularities. So maybe I need to lay down enough singularities at the start of the move, or disable the tokens to stop them becoming unpowered?

Martin Gronsdal

Or shoot large enough amount of aether to make the singularity last 300-400 seconds  (in game)

Johnny Haywire

Ha! Nice map!

Easy solution is to just build the forge and keep the creep at bay with singularities until your totems are around 25x.

Once you set about a 5-minute singularity, shoot a couple more at the second island, send your CN over there, and make a nullifier or two. Sail back to your happy corner, and just keep doing that until the middle island is clear.

At that point, you can destroy the forge and rebuild it in the middle island, and just sail back and forth with your CN charging up the totems. Build a bunch of beams on the PZ's and it's a really cool show.

Thanks for the map!  ;D ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?