Creeper World 3: Abraxis

Started by knucracker, May 13, 2014, 06:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tjgalon

I guess since most maps lately i play on only have one CN, or when I get three, i normally don't seprate them, till close to the end, lol.

J

I have some problems with CW3:A on kong. If I finish a mission and go to the submit score screen, the game suddenly is a lot slower, my entire web browser just hangs and does nothing (I can easily take up to a minute before the game notices my mouse is hovering over a button). Had to use task manager after the second mission. If I play the game on knucklecracker, I don't have any problems. Any idea what causes it?

knucracker

Very odd...   The binaries on both sites should be identical (I upload the same version to each site).  I will be putting up a new version later today, though, so lets check back and see if that makes an difference.

Now, that said, even though the binaries are exactly the same the version on Kong does more.  This is because the game tries to make calls into javascript to post data into the kong stats tables. It does then when you visit the scores posting dialog in the game. When running at KnuckleCracker, these calls do nothing because there are not such javascript calls on the web page.  When running on Kong, the javascript calls exist and the game makes them.  After that, what happens is dependent on whatever Kong does in those javascript calls.  They really should be little more than making a request back to kong to submit some data, though.

J

Decided to give kong another go. Started the interrupt missions and after some time I couldn't do anything annymore. I had to sit back and watch at x4 speed while my browser didn't react to anything. Luckily Lia interrupted me and the game reacted to input again. After unpausing (speed was still x4) the game went into a sit back and watch state again and I had to use task manager to quit. Is the game constantly contacting kong api or something like that? I've never experienced anything like this before (other kong games and CW3:A on KC).

knucracker

No, the game only makes calls to kong at start and when you finish a mission.  Those calls are made to javascript on the page with the game.

The only thing I can figure is it has something to do with the Unity player and your browser.  If you could try another browser, or uninstall and reinstall the unity player that might make a difference.

Tjgalon

Very sweet on badges, I bet that will make the game jump a bit more in popularity. As a badge hunter my self, I do love easy badges, and since i am good at Creeper world, they were easy to earn, hehe.

GoodMorning

I approve of the Kongregate releases.

I originally found the Creeper world series on Kongregate, but then shifted to knucklecracker.com after finishing everything but Evermore.
(Evermore loaded faster and ad-free)

Following the release of Abraxis, I finally decided to purchase a CW3 (One of exactly two games I have though it worth paying for.)

I would argue that the Creeper Nation (good name) may have grown more due to Kong releases than any other single cause.

May this good fortune continue.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

unagitan

Any info on abraxis coming to steam or anyway to purchasing it? Unable to play it regardless of browser.

GoodMorning

V has uploaded the mission files to the forum some time ago, although I don't recall which board. Probably the Coders Corner. Unity support is fading in-browser, but there are no plans I am aware of to move CW3:A to another medium.

Builder17

https://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=20267.msg141479#msg141479

Probably demo versions as well could have download link to these files in easily playable form somehow, I think?

knucracker

The browser version of CW3:A has been released using Unity's webgl export. It will use asm.js (javascript) and webgl in your browser to run the game and the unity engine. It takes a LOT of memory.  Like close to 1GB of memory.  So if you experience problems running the web version check to see how much free system memory you have and that sort of thing.  If the browser won't allow a giant allocation of memory, the game won't run. 

It's kind of ridiculous how things have ended up.  Plugins are bad these days, so the alternative is to run a virtual environment inside the javascript engine in the browser. That in turn allocations a giant array (chunk of memory) to serve as the main memory for this virtual environment. It 'works', it just makes me laugh when I compare this to what game developers could do with 2K of memory and a few buffers on an atari 2600.

Anyway, I'm working up to an announcement soon and as part of that I will see if I can do something about maybe a stand-alone release of CW3:A.

GoodMorning

Quote from: virgilw on May 09, 2017, 09:05:27 AM
The browser version [...] will use [...] javascript [...] close to 1GB of memory.

It's kind of ridiculous how things have ended up.  Plugins are bad these days, so the alternative is to run a virtual environment inside the javascript engine in the browser.

It 'works', it just makes me laugh when I compare this to what game developers could do with 2K of memory and a few buffers on an atari 2600.

Excuse my heavy editing of that quote, but - really? That's the "solution"?

Then again, Steam also has fullscreen desktop applications that are written in JS running in emulator shells - so perhaps I shouldn't be surprised.

knucracker

Yep, it is actually even crazier.
https://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/04/29/on-the-future-of-web-publishing-in-unity/

That was written back in 2014 when Unity was just starting this initiative.  I'm very impressed that they stuck with it and have basically gotten that stack working. DotNet bytecode to C++ to javascript (asm.js) cross compiling. 

The future seems to be headed towards webassembly ( http://webassembly.org/ ).  That will at least help with the download size of some things.  But yeah, it's still a crazy world where the javascript virtual machine built into browsers has become the replacement execution environment for all 'plugins'