Network connection speed

Started by Grauniad, January 04, 2014, 10:58:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miquelfire

Decided to upgrade my internet (something else on the plan I'm going to remove, so the net result once the special is over is $2 savings)

miquelfire

Work:

And the "baseline":

(BTW, if the result said who hosted the server, it would be the same as the ISP)

Michionlion

Damn, that is fast miquelfire!
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Grauniad

That's what it's like to be a 1-percenter.  :P
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Blaze

Quote from: Grauniad on January 10, 2014, 11:46:23 AM
That's what it's like to be a 1-percenter.  :P

So what would you call this?

I'm so moving to an area with Google Fiber.

miquelfire

Too bad I can only use this speed at work.

lich98

I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

DarthVader12

Control :

Texas:

I have a 15 Mbps down / 1 Mbps up package.
I also do heavy gaming so the download speed is great but wish had better upload.  :)

Grayzzur

Dallas:

Austin:

100MB service, and they cap the upload at 5, and I have a monthly bandwidth cap of 350gb. They claim less than 1% of their customers use this much. I seem to average 400gb+ a month. Yay me. I don't think I'm actually getting 30Mb/s rates when I download games and movies -- seems to be about half that.

Can't wait for Google Fiber to expand a little beyond the borders of Austin. Or even AT&T Gigaverse -- I'd give them a try. Probably be a few years out though.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

knucracker

<annual ISP rant on>
I always love those quotes about less than 1% of their customers using that much.  If that were true, then what's the problem?  Why not raise the cap?  Why not make the cap only cover 0.1% of customers?  Netflix, game downloads, patches, game console firmware updates, smart phone firmware updates, youtube videos, music streaming, cloud drives, skype....  Now imagine a family of 4 with two kids.
350G?  Bah ha ha ha.

And don't get me started on the upload rates.  100mbps service with a 5mbps upload cap.  I deal with that upload cap every day while I wait for CW3 builds to upload to the server.
</annual ISP rant off>

Blaze

Apparently we'll be switching from AT&T to Time Warner.
So I'll update my entry when that happens.

Grauniad

A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Grayzzur

Just went through a few service outages while they upgraded the network. Looks like it might actually be better.

"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

ZackNAttack

edit:
Zack on cw3

allu

I'd consider it pretty decent. Dallas is long way from Finland.