Custom Map: Guantlet

Started by AutoPost, February 03, 2011, 02:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Guantlet

Author: Trevelyan

Desc:
Build a chain of collectors on the spires to escape. However as usual, you'll be quickly overrun by the creeper unless you take action. You'll need to be good with the blaster to complete this.

snowmaker (JM)

Nice map... faster times will come after people figure out the trick  ;)

Trevelyan

To be honest I only learned about bridging after making this map, so I guess I'm lucky the map not totally broken.
(e.g. You can't just fly the city to the survivor and totem).

I'm guessing bridging is what's being used to post the low times. I might have a think about a map that negates bridging, or would removing that option reduce the fun?

I don't find bridging fun, all that pause, move, pause move... just to get a lower time/higher score. What happened to the journey being more rewarding then the goal?

My trick/thought behind this map was the blaster 'splash' damage.

Ebon Heart

one section of crazonium wall between the spires you don't want connected can really screw up people trying to bridge. or turn the spiral part into a crazonium wall...
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Ebon Heart

how's this?

Trevelyan

Thanks, but it doesn't work, you can still bridge. Also another problem is if you don't get to the top emitters they start to flood over the walls. However with Chromium all the way around that will never happen.

1 thick is still bridgable, 2 thick also for those who like rapid pausing, 3 stops bridging; however capped emitters will no longer work as the map intends at that point.

I will probably do a new map sometime and see if I can block bridging* (so you do have to fight it out) but still allow the Creeper to overwhelm you if you take too long.

This is/was my first map and I think its a pretty good start.

*Reading other forum posts, I don't think I'm the only one that is not keen on the use of bridging. To me its too fiddly and not fun.

Ebon Heart

You can still bridge that way?!?!

Michionlion

the best way to stop bridging with craz is to put one layer, leave a layer open then another.

Edit: or hand-edit it with terrain higher then 5.
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Ebon Heart

Good tO know. I didn't realize you could bridge over crazonium walls.

Michionlion

long as you have something with its center over it
"Remember kids, the only difference between science and messing around is writing it down."
                                                                                                                         - Adam Savage

My website
My CW1, and CW2 maps!

Ebon Heart

it at least makes it harder.

fridge

this map could be fun, but if you can bridge, it makes no sense  :-\