Custom Map #11255: The CROWN of the NOR awarded to Martin in honour of map #10837. By: Oldnewby

Started by AutoPost, August 28, 2024, 03:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #11255: The CROWN of the NOR awarded to Martin in honour of map #10837

Author: Oldnewby
Size: 250x242

Desc:
The CROWN, with its center JEWEL of the NORth POLE STAR... flames into life... filling the NORth skies with NORthern LIGHTS... summoning the ancient Valkyries, NORS Gods, and Heros from their thousand year revels in Valhalla... to speed and guide the flying arms you will need to defeat your evil creeper infestation... The CROWN of the NOR also speeds play of M G's Sprayer, Bomber & Guppy training map #10837 Unfortunately for me... Marin Gronsdal's "NO TRICKS" maps are as precious as they are rare...

oldnewby

The CROWN of the NOR also speeds play of M G's Sprayer & Guppy training map #10837... where some SPRAYERs are set to collect AC and emit Ore for GUPPIES built nearby to collect that Ore and carry the Ore to a Command Ship collector grid.
Unfortunately for me... Marin Gronsdal's "NO TRICKS" maps are as precious as they are rare...

This is a great map for anyone who wants to test their AC handling skills... Or new players who wish to learn all the ins and outs of Sprayer, Bomber and Guppy combined AC arms use...

Hints for new or intermediate CW3 players...
AC Logistics:
Spoiler
AC Logistics can become surprisingly tough in MG's large "No tricks" maps... Forum discussions mentioned that KnuckleCracker limited the number of Ore packets moving in collector/relay lines to a max of some 200 Ore... Note that using the Forge to increase PACKET SPEED helps increase delivery speeds and reduce AC bottlenecks a lot... Some expert players also advise that using the forge to increase the size of the Command Ships' AC storage somehow also increases the mass of Ore packets allowed in transit...    Both techniques appear to be additive...
[close]

Game Play Hints #1 Huge Fleets
Spoiler
Huge fleets of bombers can be sent to fly over a landing zone without wasting ammo provided the "V" hold fire Key is pressed... Visibility of the landing zone is much improved by tapping the SHIFT "F" keys...
Sometimes it pays to play safe by disarming all flying bombers until all of their bases are fully restocked with AC...  It is also possible to send AC loaded Guppies out and back on long flights until their bases are filly restocked with usually limited supplies of AC... Landing back on their bases with a DOUBLE stock of AC does not waste the AC often needed for a fast second delivery....  Suggest doing this before trying the Guppy Glitch below...
[close]

Hints #2 Kamikaze SPRAYERS
Spoiler
... Airborne fleets of Kamikaze SPRAYERS can be filled to 100AC capacity... then flown above the landing zone... Where tapping the SHIFT "X" Keys or the DESTROY button... over the landing zone to drop the load of AC, destroy the Creeper and allow your fleet of Guppies full of energy and AC supplies to land...  AND... your surviving sprayers will be needed to immediately attack the creeper and expand the landing zone...
BEWARE:-  If you land a bunch of 100AC full Kamikaze Sprayers on the main continent... Make sure to click the "C" Keys on all of them...  or else they will send a lot of their stored AC to one of the Command Ships as unneeded Ore...
[close]

Hints #3 GUPPY GLITCH
Spoiler
Landing huge fleets of guppies on a single square is possible if you use the GUPPY GLITCH... 
It is worth learning how to do the glitch because it can be very useful on a lot of tough maps...
How to do the guppy glitch???... is simple... if a bit fiddley... On PAUSE...  SHIFT Key click on each of the guppies you want to land on the single spot... Then click to set each and every one of all those guppy temporary landing symbols anywhere on the map that is convenient for you to find... then click your "N" Key two or three times... to advance the map clock perhaps 1/10thof a second... just long enough for you to see all of those guppies start to move to take off...  THEN... you have to click on any one of those temporary guppy landing symbols and then click the symbol down on your final landing point... Then re-click on that same guppy landing symbol... AND then look in the open Guppy control screen... AND...  Click on the RETURN TO BASE button... whereupon your guppy landing symbol DISAPEARS...  meaning that guppy is going to go there no matter what... AFTER THAT... You just have to repeat that procedure for each and every one of your fleet of guppies... 
NOTE – Once done there is nothing visible on the spot you chose to send all those guppies to...   So depending on the needs of your attack... it sometime is a good place to put a NULLIFIER... or perhaps a relay to speed transmission of the guppy supplies... or just to leave empty... As a landing zone as more guppies are built or auto returns from the battlefield are refilled and must be guppy glitched again to send to the battle zone.... Though REMEMBER you won't be able to see the temporary guppy symbols under your stack of unloading guppies...  So you have to remember which one you just moved in order to push the correct return to base button...
AND... If you have timed how long it takes for your bomber fleet to thin the Creeper... and how long it takes for your heavily laden fleet of kamikaze sprayers to reach the landing spot... Your guppies will likely survive and your battle can be won...
[close]

GOOD LUCK !!!

Martin Gronsdal

Hey Oldnewby! Just wanted to drop a quick note to say I'm truly, deeply, and profoundly impressed by the map you made using my portrait as the land areas. Honestly, I've never seen a more breathtaking and, dare I say, stunningly flattering cartographic masterpiece. The way my forehead becomes a majestic plateau and my chin transforms into a glorious peninsula—pure genius! It's not every day one's visage gets immortalized as geography. Thank you for capturing my essence in such an artistic and, um, unique way. I'm thankful for your creativity and will cherish it forever... or at least until the next contour line wrinkles!

oldnewby

Hi Martin
Thank you for your kind words Martin... Upon rechecking your likeness on my completed map #11255...I must apologize for any and all potential damage done to your self image... Though my lady love did go into raptures over your post... my back is still sore from all the pounding and back slapping I endured due to your fulsome praise...
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3320330737

oldnewby

Quote from: Martin Gronsdal on August 28, 2024, 04:24:46 PMHey Oldnewby! Just wanted to drop a quick note to say I'm truly, deeply, and profoundly impressed by the map you made using my portrait as the land areas. Honestly, I've never seen a more breathtaking and, dare I say, stunningly flattering cartographic masterpiece. The way my forehead becomes a majestic plateau and my chin transforms into a glorious peninsula—pure genius! It's not every day one's visage gets immortalized as geography. Thank you for capturing my essence in such an artistic and, um, unique way. I'm thankful for your creativity and will cherish it forever... or at least until the next contour line wrinkles!
Hi Martin... Guess my reply didn't reach you....
On a new topic...  As you enjoy unusual tricks... Suggest you might enjoy DMD map #3242 Good Fun by Taiga....
Spoiler
So far this is the only DMD map I have ever seen that managed to hide/disappear the 100 Aether Packs of 10,000 Aether... that were promised in the EDIT Resources page... Weird!!!  I've noticed that once in a long while a single packet may be missing on a DMD map... but nothing like this...   
[close]
Let me know if anyone knows how that could happen... Just curious??????

Martin Gronsdal

in honor of your comments I made a DMD map for the first time. It's 15272. I apologize for how bad the map is