At long last, the development of CW3 is nearly complete. The story missions are complete, the credits are complete, and I’ve integrated maps created by many talented beta members. So I thought I would give you one final status update prior to the launch and to also set expectations about what is left to do and what will be in the launch.
Currently, I have added over 100 hand crafted custom maps created by alpha/beta members over the course of game development. These maps need review and updates (some do, many are just fine or have already been reviewed). I could have taken the short path and just left many of these missions out of the game, but I want the game to ship with as much content as possible. I’m old school here, but when you buy a game I think you should get hundreds and hundreds of hours of unique game play. I understand that people play in different ways, that’s why I like to have lots of game play spread across different mission types.
Once the ‘Alpha‘ maps are reviewed and updated, the game will just require a final few days of last review. It will be in a release candidate state at that point, and I’ll be looking for last minute polish issues, or any outstanding bugs with the game or the missions.
During this time I will be producing a promo video, screenshots, an updated web site, integration with Fastspring (the secure online payment processor I use), updated documentation, cleaning up the wiki, creating new forum boards, and preparing launch announcements. It is a busy time, and I have to play not only developer but 10 other roles as well. Your patience is most appreciated, and I will do my best to finish these tasks ASAP.
Below you will find a simple screen shot of the title screen at launch.
So, here’s my working list of high level launch features. If you have any features you think would sound good and would like to suggest, post them in the comments. Keep them, short and one liners. I’m looking for compelling statements about the game… and I can be more blind to these things than many of you are.
- Unique game play featuring an enemy that flows over the map.
- Story arc with insane and unique enemies.
- Hundreds and hundreds of hours of unique game play.
- Large maps of variable size and shape.
- Terrain that can be terraformed and altered.
- Dozens of unique units and enemies.
- Support for fields, projectiles, orbital drops, resources, and more.
- Hundreds of hand crafted missions.
- Thousands of worlds spread across star systems to explore.
- DMD (Dial Map Device) to generate your own maps to share.
- Built in map editor for making advanced custom maps.
- CRPL scripting language for making advanced weapons, enemies, and more.