Look at me, sucking some more!

Started by hapes, December 02, 2009, 01:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hapes

I'm having trouble with two Special Ops maps:  DTD and ChopRaider.  I'm not specifically asking for full on solutions (although I won't refuse them). 

For DTD, I can't quite manage to build anything defensive sufficiently rapidly to prevent incipient creeper.  I tend to move Odin City to the lower right corner, which gives me more time, but it inevitably fails.

For ChopRaider, I have tried a drone strategy, I tried a blitz approach, neither of them successful.  Any thoughts?

djcian

chop raider was one of the hardest maps for me.  you really need to get a morter in range of the creeper as a first priority then spam sams to defend from spores as you reach the totems.  getting the creeper early is key as you cant defend from both.  also make sure that there is a lazer near your base defending from the creeper coming from the north.  just refine the strategy until you succeed.  or someone can post an image if you need more help

for DTD i just stayed where i start and put lazers on the blocks near my base, then pushed back
grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change, the courage to change the things i can, and the wisdom to know the difference

Aurzel

i havent even got that far, i'm busy playing and making custom maps between doing other stuff lol

Synreal

DTD was pretty tough for me.  Eventually I pushed my base up as far as it could go against the east wall.  Then I got blasters on each of the pillars on the east wall.  I built energy all the way down to the bottom of the map once I had a plane secured.  Then I made about 15 turrets and flew them on top of the top creeper first and then the west.  There is really no need for mortars in this map because if the creeper level ever gets high enough to justify them, you are dead.  Good luck.

knucracker

Yeah.... DTD requires "deferred conflict" skills.  As in you must delay spending energy to fight the Creeper as long as possible.  Never build mortars and build only a single (or two) blasters at the start.  And don't even build these to start with.  When I play I take advantage of every last second before I spend any energy on weapons or letting weapons fire.

At least until I have a sufficient energy base built.... then I cap the top emitter and end the level as quickly as possible.

Dranar

What does DTD stand for? In a game called Kingdom Hearts 2, DTD stands for Door to Darkness, is that it?
The Reactor - The Reactor of all Reactors

djcian

i just recently put it on Wikipedia but it stands for desktop tower defense.  it and the other games on the casual collective are alot of fun.  check it out.
grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change, the courage to change the things i can, and the wisdom to know the difference

knucracker

Karsten75

DTD was easy, Chopraider was a little more difficult, but I got it in one go. Unfortunately I can't remember how, everything is a haze now (sleeping 3 hours a day to play this can do that to you)  :)

Just won and posted Gump (which was the hardest for me). I may go back and revisit the two you mention and then I'll post them as well.

hapes

Finally got these two, thanks, everyone, for your help!

SPIFFEN

PLZ THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU CALL YOUR TOPIC ! It will make the search work better =)
My maps : http://knucklecracker.com/creeperworld/viewmaps.php?author=SPIFFEN
How to make links

ItsFunToLose

if you build 4-5 collectors then a mortar rush, lift it off to go attack the pool, and build a blaster while attacking with mortar, you can cap the emitter really quickly.

Once the mortar lands in the creep, tell it to move somewhere else.  It will fire one shot immediately.  reland once the cooldown period is over and you can effectively sit in one spot without taking creeper damage.   one shot to the creeper pool and it will be empty for a few seconds.  use this time to move a relay into position over the pool, move your blaster in range, (turn it to off while the mortar keeps the pool in check, once the relay is in place, cap it off by turning the blaster on.) 

If you do this quick enough, you win before the first spores are launched.

Siccles

Another easy way to get a good score on this map:

(note that i did some mistakes, like letting the drone recharge/sending the 2nd drone out too late costing me around 50 points)

Karsten75

Quote from: Siccles on January 07, 2010, 09:00:40 AM
Another easy way to get a good score on this map:

(note that i did some mistakes, like letting the drone recharge/sending the 2nd drone out too late costing me around 50 points)

Nice work.