Main Menu

energy storage

Started by THIS_IS_SPARTA!, July 16, 2011, 05:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

THIS_IS_SPARTA!

I have learned that in cw1 you can keep adding storage to your energy.
but in cw2 you have limited storage. any body know why?

MadMag

You can use tech points to get more storage :)

THIS_IS_SPARTA!

yes, but what about when you are fully upgraded?
on cw1 you could just keep going!

Grauniad

You rarely need more than one energy upgrade in either CW1 or CW2.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

THIS_IS_SPARTA!

what if you forgot there was a dissolvable tile and creeper was about to gush out.
you would panic and emiditly start building so you would upgrade storage and [unlikely] run out of energy so you would lose because you did not have enough storage, but if it happened in cw1 you would build storage and save the city! yay!!!!

crazyone76

go Dutch
go Netherlands
Holland ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sqaz

Quote from: THIS_IS_SPARTA! on July 16, 2011, 06:02:45 PM
what if you forgot there was a dissolvable tile and creeper was about to gush out.
you would panic and emiditly start building so you would upgrade storage and [unlikely] run out of energy so you would lose because you did not have enough storage, but if it happened in cw1 you would build storage and save the city! yay!!!!

If you needed to build a whole lot of stuff, and don't have enough energy building storage won't help, cause you need energy to build that, and energy to have the energy to place in the storage, but since you're building you don't have energy left to fill your storage. You can only use the storage when building/upgrading it in advance, and if you knew you would have to build it in advance you wouldn't panic and start to build to much to stop the creeper.

Ranakastrasz

Storage, assuming you buy it and let it fill up, allows you more reaction time, so to speak, to something unexpected, as it allows you to rapidly build almost anything you need to survive something you weren't expecting. Having a mere 0 energy in storage when an unexpected "field raid" starts, like the
Spoiler
death skulls in one of the levels(cant remember which)
[close]
you may want to be able to build force fields VERY fast to not lose your entire reactor farm
Spoiler
(happened to me the first time, didn't expect it, although I did have several Launchers and blasters over the pit)
[close]

UpperKEES

To be honest I don't see a reason to not have the option to buy more energy storage either. If people like it, why not let them have it?
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Yinan

Quote from: UpperKEES on July 19, 2011, 04:11:31 PM
To be honest I don't see a reason to not have the option to buy more energy storage either. If people like it, why not let them have it?

second that.
Would be more if if you simply can upgrade most of the things indefinitely, instead for just a limited amount of times. Especially storage of energy and ore would be nice, just instead of stars show the current level and the cost for the next one and let me upgrade them forever ^^ would make most of the overbuilders (like me ^^) very happy :D And also Tech Domes would never be useless that way, because you could always spend some points ^^
And there would be no disadvantage for the speed builders either, since you can technically beat the games pretty fast with just 1 or 2 storage upgrades (or none at all maybe ^^).

Eric

I think more energy storage is a bad idea because it will immediately disappoint those that want it. just think you wasted an hour building up your storage to so ridicules level then right when you go to fight the creeper you get nailed with the energy per sec cap. If you ask me I think any storage over 60 is completely unnecessary.

UpperKEES

Quote from: Eric on October 07, 2011, 08:03:53 PM
I think more energy storage is a bad idea because it will immediately disappoint those that want it. just think you wasted an hour building up your storage to so ridicules level then right when you go to fight the creeper you get nailed with the energy per sec cap. If you ask me I think any storage over 60 is completely unnecessary.

Of course you don't upgrade when you don't need it. They same goes for any other upgrade. How often do you upgrade your beacons till full range? That said there are enough maps that will make you benefit from more energy storage. When you're generating 40+ energy moving a part of your weapons for 3-5 seconds will fill up your entire storage.

It will also allow you to do a quick rush with more weapons than you actually can sustain (or build a few nullifiers quickly while capping some emitters for a short while).

lich98

how often do you even buy 3/4 of the upgrades, only when i'm trying to pone a map, or used complete over build but very rarely have i bought over 3/4 of the upgrades. i would like to see more times to be able to, i'm ok with a cap on range and move and fire rate, but how about 4 instead of 3.
I love Mickey Mouse more than any woman I've ever known.
-Walt Disney
This is like deja vu all over again.
-Yogi Berra

UpperKEES

It never has been Virgil's intention to be able to use all upgrades for each map. It's about making choices within the limitations of available energy and space (for building tech domes), technytes (to buy the upgrades) and time (needed to finished the map).

For easy/medium maps you may only buy some of them and for very hard maps maybe most of them, but the most important thing is finding the right balance between making progress and building up your force. When you really need certain upgrades you probably should concentrate more on building tech domes during the initial phase of gameplay and wait a little longer before you start fighting the Creeper. In the end this will save you time and give you a better score.

Finally, do you really think a 4th range or fire rate upgrade would make a huge difference? Especially when each of these would cost 60 technytes? I don't believe that. I've been fighting 500M+ emitters with regular weapons and I still didn't need them. Upgrading your patience often is the best choice. ;)

thepenguin

why not just allow all of them to be infinite, (maybe not -20% build cost (I don't want to see that reach level 5=free buildings, for 180 technytes)) that way,
We have become the creeper...