Tutorial: Installing CreeperWorld on Linux.

Started by dusted, February 11, 2010, 04:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dusted

Here's a short tutorial to install this innovative little gem on Linux, without having to run it in a windows browser or some hacky solution like that.

First, get and install Adobe AIR for linux, very simple, go here, and press download: http://get.adobe.com/air/
Save the file to your desktop.
Right click on the file "AdobeAirInstallerLinux.bin"  -> properties. Now select the [Permissions] tab, and select that your user should be able to read/write/execute the file. Press OK.
Double click on the file, follow instructions on screen (you're asked for root / sudo password).

Now, we need Wine for just a moment, to extract the .air file from the windows-exe. I won't walk you through installing wine, however, it should be fairly simple to either use a guide online, or install it with your distributions package manager.

[Skip here if you have Wine and Adobe AIR for linux installed allready]
Now, download the demo, or full version of Creeper World, save it on your desktop.
Start a terminal and type:
cd Desktop  #Please note, this can be diffrent depending on your contry if you're using distros like Ubuntu.
wine CreeperWorldDEMO.exe #This is for the demo version, if you have the full version, type the name of that file.
Now, follow instructions on screen, Adobe AIR inside wine will crash before the game is installed, this is okay, we just need it to extract some files for us :)

Cool, now we actuall have the file we need to install the game, it is located inside your home directory, in .wine/drive_c/windows_temp/RarSFX0/ and it is called something like CreeperWorld, and it is ending on .air

In your terminal type:
Adobe\ AIR\ Application\ Installer #Just type Adobe with a big A, and press the TAB key, it will autocomplete.

Adobe AIR might ask for root password, give it.

Now, Adobe AIR is asking for a file.
Type ./wine/drive_c/windows/temp/RarSFX/0/ and press enter.
Only a single .air file is visible, double click on that.
Follow instructions on screen.

[Now the game is installed.]

There should be a shortcut on your desktop.
if there is not, try this:
cd /opt/KnucleCracker/[TAB] #[TAB] means press the TAB key.. and finally, preess enter.
cd bin
./[TAB] #Yes, press the TAB key after typing a period and a slash. Then press enter.

jecowa

Linux: Because for some people, Windows does not provide enough of a challenge to be enjoyable.

JACKL

Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, "You're next." They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.

djcian

do not bump threads unless you are adding to the conversation.
grant me the serenity to accept the things i can not change, the courage to change the things i can, and the wisdom to know the difference