Custom Map: Innovations & Inventions 4: Irrigation

Started by AutoPost, January 11, 2011, 06:48:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Innovations & Inventions 4: Irrigation

Author: Fisherck

Desc:
1 1The 4th map to my I&I series. This is a puzzle map. Take out to much creeper and you can't reach the totems. Take out to little, and you can't save the survivors. It is your job to find the middle...

Fisherck

Title:
Innovations & Inventions 4: Irrigation
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land
Remarks:
The 4th map to my I&I series. This is a puzzle map. Take out to much creeper and you can't reach the totems. Take out to little, and you can't save the survivors. It is your job to find the middle...
Description:There is a lot to read, and if you do not want to read it all, go to the bottom paragragh where it explains exactly what needs to be done.)

Irrigation was (and still is) enormously important for mankindkind. When our predecessors decided to settle down into cities, they needed a way to feed themselves. So they grew plants in farms. But they needed a way to water these farms. So they invented irrigation. Around 4000 B.C., the Egyptians were among the (if not the) first to use irrigation. When the Nile flooded, the Egyptians, using a series of dikes and canals, moved the water inland to cover their fields with silt. The only problem, though, is that the floods came with a rather large amount of... uncertanty of whether they would be too big or small. To much water, and the floods killed thousands of people. To little, and the fields did not get enough water, killing the crops and starving the population. And not only that, if the floods are to large, the farmers will also not be able to plant the crops at the right time because of the wet soil. This is where you come in...

Word has just come in from upstream that the flood this year is much larger than expected! If nothing is done, the town to left will be washed away, killing the inhabitants of the town. Luckily, they built a dike, but even that will only hold the water back for a while. So they will need to be saved. Even more luckily, the floods will recede at the very most left part of the river, closest to the town. But the fields pose a problem too. To little, and the crops will not grow. To much and they can not be planted at the right time. It is your job to control the water flow so that neither of these happen. And while doing these things, you will need to protect yourself too.

This is basicly a puzzle map with multiple factors involved. All the fields will need to get enough creeper to erode one layer of wall, so the toems can be reached. But if both layers are eroded, then the survivors will be killed. Also, both the survivors and yourself will need to be protected too. The best way to do that for the survivors is to save them.
NOTE: All emitters in the middle river will be .1 stronger than the one in front of it. The farther the emitter is from you, the stronger it will be. For example, the farthest one will be .6 stronger than the average emitter, and the 2nd farthest one will be .5 stronger than the average, and so on. Just check the emitter in the map editor if you do not understand the confusing thing I just said.
2nd NOTE: All emitters have .1 interval.
Here is a timeline of what will happen:
. .1 seconds, emitter with strength of 2 starts.
. 60 seconds, emitter with strength of 3 is added. The fields at the very top of the map will start getting covered.
. 240 seconds, emitter with strength of 4 is added. All fields can get covered now. The town is now at risk too.
. 240 seconds, emitter strength of 0 added ONLY to the 2 bottom left emitters. This allows you to save the people in the town.
. 360 seconds, emitter strength of 5 is added. Now you are also at risk of being overrun. You better be ready...
. 480 seconds, emitter with stregth of 0 is added to all emitters. All creeper will start receding at this point. If the creeper is gone, but you can not reach a toem, then you lost! No more creeper will cover the map. Good luck.
Download page:
Innovations & Inventions 4: Irrigation
Full size screen shot:

More maps:
See here for all Innovations & Inventions
And here for my non series maps
        Design by the one and only UpperKEES
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

Fisherck

(I will get the advanced description up soon)
(EDIT: Done.)

I find it kind of funny that this map has two firsts for me. It is my first puzzle map. But after 65 custom maps, this is the first one that I used crazonium walls in. ;D Took me long enough...
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

DethbyIT

"It is your job to find the middle..."

My middle keeps getting lost in the muddle.
I've tried 2-3 Mortars spaced out to keep OC safe, plus 2-3 Drones to protect the Survivors, but can't seem to get the right combination.

Fun game though.
Thanks,
dbit