Custom Map: Innovations & Inventions 3: The Boat

Started by AutoPost, December 30, 2010, 06:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map: Innovations & Inventions 3: The Boat

Author: Fisherck

Desc:
The third map to my series. While playing this map, your starting position will be assulted not once, but twice in two different areas.

In a boat that is on fire, you retreat to the crows nest to build up strength so you can get down to the coals and put the fire out. Can you take the heat?

Fisherck

Title:
Innovations & Inventions 3: The Boat
Difficulty:
Hard
Creeper type:
Land
Remarks:
The third map to my series. While playing this map, your starting position will be assulted not once, but twice in two different areas.

In a boat that is on fire, you retreat to the crows nest to build up strength so you can get down to the coals and put the fire out. Can you take the heat?
Description:
We do not know who invented the first boat. Though, almost as long as mankind has been civilized, they were sailors. The first boat was likely just a log used by the first sailor to get across a river. Then, real boats started popping up in Egypt, about 4000bc. Here, they lashed bundles of reeds together to make boats with spoonlike shapes. Rows of paddlers were used to power the craft. By 3200bc, they had added sails, and by 3000bc were starting to build wooden plank ships.

There is a fire on the ship! It is quickly growing out of control, so you head up to the crows nest. Up there, you are safe for the moment. But you better be ready to defend yourself. Once you are strong enough, start pushing back the fire so you can reach the coals of the flames at the bottom and put them out.

The main emitters will start at 5 seconds and emit every .6 seconds. Then at 300.3 seconds, a second set of emitters will start exactly the same as the first set. But, the ones you want to watch out for are the ones that start immediately. Only, they emit every 100 seconds. They could ruin your day if your not prepared and they go off while you are trying to put out the coals.
Download page:
Innovations & Inventions 3: The Boat
Full size screen shot:

More maps:
See here for all Innovations & Inventions
And here for my non series maps

Design by the one and only UpperKEES
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

snowmaker (JM)

You have an amazing time. Next time I will try a more direct route. It took a couple times to get a decent start. I did end up with only 14 energy collected.

Fisherck

That is still a pretty good time. A map maker often knows how to play his map best. That is why it is annoying (and I strive to do this myself too ;D) when someone else gets a better time than you on a map you made. As for game play...
Spoiler
The key in the beginning is to build as many energy creating buildings as posible, while still protecting your starting point. But, at a bit after 5 minutes your starting point's safety comes into question again when the creeper on the sail being held by the mast will overflow. For me, I thought of protecting my position with either a mortar or a drone. It was a tough choice (because of the usual advantages and disadvantages of each), but I decided on the drone because of it's range. It could attack key areas before a mortar can. And if I understand you correctly, I would suggest a direct route. The sails are a perfect base of opperations before assulting the emitters behind the oars.
[close]
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps

snowmaker (JM)

And I noticed...

Spoiler
That you only need to go down one side to protect OC
[close]

Fisherck

But... :)
Spoiler
You need both sides to be able to quickly take each row of oars. Still, every time I would take the sails, I would start on the right side. Then build up more energy while taking the left side, build more blasters, and then do the final assult.
[close]
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps

snowmaker (JM)

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Fisherck on December 30, 2010, 11:04:26 PM
That is still a pretty good time. A map maker often knows how to play his map best. That is why it is annoying (and I strive to do this myself too ;D) when someone else gets a better time than you on a map you made. As for game play...
Spoiler
The key in the beginning is to build as many energy creating buildings as posible, while still protecting your starting point. But, at a bit after 5 minutes your starting point's safety comes into question again when the creeper on the sail being held by the mast will overflow. For me, I thought of protecting my position with either a mortar or a drone. It was a tough choice (because of the usual advantages and disadvantages of each), but I decided on the drone because of it's range. It could attack key areas before a mortar can. And if I understand you correctly, I would suggest a direct route. The sails are a perfect base of opperations before assulting the emitters behind the oars.
[close]
I usually have the worst times on my maps, because as I'm playing the final version, I usually test it for bugs and stuff, different ways to solve it, things like that. And, I like to play creeper world at a relaxed pace after I've secured my position.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Fisherck

I always test for quick ways to beat my maps too in the final version. But after doing that, I go for my competitive time. And after spending so much time on it, I know the map pretty well. ;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps

Ebon Heart

I don't usually do competitive times... I get so little free time as I is, why play the same map 5 times for a meaningless score?
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

Fisherck

We see the glass different ways.  :) While I may play a map for fun, why would you put time into a map if you were not going to try your best? ;) Everyone has different goals...
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps

DethbyIT

My "goal" is to not have the worst score!
(So far, so good.)

Fun game and I'll try that run down the right side next time.
Thanks,
dbit