Author Topic: CW3 Ubuntu 18.04 Gnome via Steam poor performance.  (Read 117 times)

radix_s

CW3 Ubuntu 18.04 Gnome via Steam poor performance.
« on: November 30, 2018, 08:59:44 am »
Hello all,

I was hoping you can help me with a problem I have with my favorite game that I used to play in the background as I work but cannot do that anymore. It runs very slow on my Ubuntu 18.04 via Steam.

What I mean by 'slow' - well it feels like it was being ran on a veeery slow machine - you can see tearing, lagging like it was having problems in keeping up a decent FPS.

Funny thing is every other program runs smoothly up until I turn CW3 on, I can see for example in htop cpu usage jumping from 3-10% to 100%. It also seems to be spawning multiple processes named ./CW3.x86_64 (two high on CPU (150% and 50%) and several other with low CPU usage). I have attached an image with first 4 rows in htop, there are several other processes not displayed with low cpu usage. When CW3 is running everything else slows down because CW3 is eating up all CPU power (and I can hear the laptop fan going into rage mode).

I had this problem when I was using 16.04 but it was rather marginal - it was smooth enough to be playable, under 18.04 it is not playable.

Another funny thing is that when I have tried to download a windows version and launch it using wine it ran smoothly as hell - just like it does when I switch to Windows (I have a dual boot arrangement). So it is not related to my machine being too slow on specs, since it runs far better with windows version via wine than with native linux version... on linux. I would use the wine method but it has another problem there - menu clicks are not working - I can only click on the 'EXIT' button, nothing else seems to be working.

Games like Surviving Mars or Stellaris work just fine on my HD620 via Steam. But they are not built with unity. On the other hand browser based games in unity work smoothly - including 3d heavy games.

My machine setup is:
memory 15,6 GiB
cpu Intel® Core™ i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz × 4
graphics Intel® HD Graphics 620 (Kaby Lake GT2) (plus gtx950 via prime, but I have it turned off at all times)
gnome 3.28.2

Log file is attached, I hope somebody can help.

If it cannot be fixed maybe there is another option - windows only version of the game - then it can be played using steam's proton (steam play) which so far I have discovered to be working extremely well with most of the games (fast and smooth). At the moment one cannot use it because CW3 has linux native version. If it runs well maybe you can then drop linux version altogether and save time on having to support native linux version?

knucracker

• Administrator
Re: CW3 Ubuntu 18.04 Gnome via Steam poor performance.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 12:08:52 pm »
Have you tried disabling the steam overlay?  That might be affecting rendering performance.  Just a total guess....

radix_s

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 04:25:53 pm »
Yes, I have tried that - no effect :(

knucracker

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 10:01:49 am »
You might also try observing the cpu load at different times. 
- Sitting on the main menu.
- Sitting in a very simple and small mission while the game is paused. (like a blank map)
- Sitting in a  very simple and small mission while the game is NOT paused.
- Sitting in a large mission while paused.
- Sitting in a large mission while NOT paused.

Let it sit for a few minutes in each state and note if CPU usage is always high.  The size of the game window (or even fullscreen) can also make a difference.  All of this would be to help identify where the bottleneck is and what the game might be doing when the CPU is high.

I know very little about changed from version to version of any linux distribution, but I have seen a few reports from folks that mention thermal throttling being different in ubuntu 18 (presumably because of the kernel version and some change).  If for some reason thermal throttling is kicking in that effectively makes apparent CPU usage go really high and everything seem to slow down.  Anyway just another thought based on your description and that the problem seemed to be present, just much less noticeable, in ubuntu 16.