Author Topic: Hard or very hard Tormented Space maps  (Read 183 times)

Grabz

• Community Guild
  • Where will you be when the creeper waves hit?
Hard or very hard Tormented Space maps
« on: September 22, 2018, 10:10:04 am »
The original thread was created and is upkept by the user tiba992 on the Steam Community forums. This thread is a direct copy, with some added forum markup.
Visit the original thread on Steam here to give the author of this thread your thoughts and opinions.
This copy was last updated 2018-09-22.

Note to original author: If you would like to take over this copy of your thread for editing purposes, please let me know and it will be transferred to you.

Tormented Space contains a lot of very hard maps that make Farbor or early Arca look like a joke and even some impossible ones.

For those who want to improve at the game, like myself, I think it would be helpful to list them, to discuss whether they can be beaten and how they can be beaten. I'll try to update this thread regularly and to add maps that other players have beaten and for which they posted realistic times, so that we can get a feel for the validity of high score times.

I'll start with Coalve, but I'll add more maps in the future.

List

Impossible
  • S200_185 - Tillyketh - (2018-09-15 reported, upper quarter of right edge of the star map)
Very Hard
  • S200_134 - Sudpir - (2018-09-19 completed, time: 3:14:30, close to the center of the star map)
  • S200_157 - Coalve - (2018-09-08 completed, time: 4:33:16, center of upper half of star map)
  • S200_153 - Sieioanu - (2018-09-09 completed, time: 2:44:46, center of lower left of star map)
  • S200_79 - Greeninverok - (2018-09-12 completed, time: 3:23:30, bottem left corner of star map)
  • S200_107 - Razdon - (2018-09-15 completed, time: 0:55:08, center of the star map)
  • S200_180 - Ioottum - (2018-09-11 completed, time: 1:08:27, center of the bottom edge of the star map)
Hard
  • S200_78 - Auchcardensar - (2018-09-10 completed, time: 2:53:27, center-right of lower quarter of star map)
  • S200_138 - Jupnale - (2018-09-22 completed, time: 1:51:11, close to the left edge of the star map, vertically close to the middle)

More to come.

General advice

After posting a couple of walkthroughs here (8 at the moment of creating these notes), a few patterns emerged so it might be sensible to add some general advice up here.
This advice is definitely incomplete and needs to be complemented with proficiency in Creeper World 3 that is only acquired by trying the guides for oneself. It is only designed to steer attempts at beating hards maps in a direction that worked for me and I'd be happy to read other peoples insights in further comments that help me get better in this game as well and that I can add to this list.

The Basics of Effective Play
  • Pause and save often. This should go without saying when talking about hard maps.
  • Balance your energy and do not build too much in parallel. Build one by one unless you have an overproduction of energy. When expanding your energy production (building collectors and reactors), build your buildings one by one. Building two reactors in parallel that don't build at maximum speed takes longer than finishing one first, then immediately building the second one. Same goes for collectors at the very start, so don't waste time here. Letting your energy production go to waste with 25 in storage is a waste of time as well, of course.
  • Start with collectors. Collectors pay for themselves very quickly (if I've done my tests right, around 20-30 seconds, depending on the area they cover), so it often makes sense to put down collectors even in areas that you do not plan to hold. Switch to reactors when there are no more spots available with good collection area that will not fall in the next 30 seconds.
  • I found that it takes around 3.5-3.8 energy to build two reactors in parallel at maximum speed.
  • Disable Resupply to speed up building reactors, when you can afford to do so. You can always afford to do so when your mortars are fully charged. Be careful when your mortars stop shooting, though, you might not see the flood coming through before it is too late.
  • Do not hesitate to destroy collectors to make more space for reactors in the long run.

Combating Creeper
  • I distinguish between two issues with creeper: The high tide of creeper and the shallow creeper. The former is a mountain of creeper that inevitably forms and expands around the emitter as time goes on and presses against your defenses with increasing pressure. The latter comes with much less pressure and height but it comes much earlier.
  • The first goal is to establish a stable situation. This requires to deal with both threats.
  • The High Tide:
    • The only early viable way to deal with the high tide is the mortar. It keeps the high tide at bay but is not suited to deal with the shallow creeper. If it is supplied with sufficient energy, it can keep a certain width of the front of the high tide a mortar-range away from your base. Depending on the size of your base and how badly it is surrounded, you need a certain amount of well-supplied mortars for that task. A base in the corner of the map needs 4 to 5 mortars. A base in the corner with empty space on one more side might only need two. A base completely surrounded might need more than 5.
    • The pressure of the high tide will keep on growing in the first twenty minutes of the game, so you need to be careful and always check whether your mortars are still up for the task. A way to reduce the general pressure on the whole map in mid-game is the Big Bertha on auto-target, if energy and space permit it.
  • If your mortars deal with the high tide, you still need to deal with the shallow flood. There are a couple of options for that. They are all unsuited to deal with the high tide.
    • The preferred way: Height differences in terrain. These deal with the shallow flood as long as it is at least as shallow as the height difference. Your mortars might be able to arrange that. Use naturally occurring height differences, close gaps with the Terp if necessary.
    • The situational way: If you happen to have an ore mine in your base, then anti-creeper (sprayer should usually be on always on)
    • The somewhat costly way: Cannons.
    • The ridiculously costly way: Shields. They are pretty expensive, but they can also help to expand the base.
  • Digitalis: Experiment with Cannons set to "digitalis" only in a safe setting to get a feeling for dealing with digitalis. This costs a lot of energy and having enough mortars up is usually the bigger issue, so hope that you can establish a stable base that is not too close to the Digitalis.
  • Spores: Not much to say here. You need beams to fight spores and ideally, you have 0.5*[#number of approaching spores] beams in your base.

The Next Level Play
  • Let unused buildings (shields and terps for expansion) fly around the map in circles to gain a building spot for an additional reactor or mortar.
  • Let The Command node permanently fly above your base to gain 9 additional spots for buildings at the cost of the Command Nodes energy production (this sucks and is super micro-intensive, but it was necessary for me to beat Sudpir).

Walkthroughs

Coalve
(click to show/hide)

Sieioanu
(click to show/hide)

Auchcardensar
(click to show/hide)

Ioottum
(click to show/hide)

Greeninverok
(click to show/hide)

Razdon
(click to show/hide)

Sudpir
(click to show/hide)

Jupnale
(click to show/hide)

Comments on probably impossible Maps

Tillyketh
(click to show/hide)

Karsten75

"Any leftover cabbage can and will be mixed with mayo"
   - Cole's Law

Grabz

• Community Guild
  • Where will you be when the creeper waves hit?
Re: Hard or very hard Tormented Space maps
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 07:52:52 pm »
Oh, I suppose I put the thread in the wrong section... Sorry!

GoodMorning

• Community Guild
  • (Pusillanimous)
Re: Hard or very hard Tormented Space maps
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 03:22:50 am »
Well, this one is entitled "Hardest Tormented Space Maps", and has been an interesting one for me before.
https://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14333.0

There are some (generally Inhibitor) maps where a traditional "base" is not viable, and the Creeper must be pre-empted.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.