Custom Map #6535: Creeper Warship. By: Pendragon

Started by AutoPost, September 21, 2018, 01:11:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #6535: Creeper Warship

Author: Pendragon
Size: 200x200

Desc:
An intimidating Creeper Warship has trapped Lia and Skarsgard in a fiendish trap. Engage in ship-to-ship combat and destroy this oozing purple dreadnought. My first map. I hope you guys like it.

SleutelMan

renelm

I just recently started playing game (thanks, BRINK) and _just_ finished the main story line and saw some of these CT Warship videoes on BRINKs youtube-channel and thought I'd give this series a go... I completed #3, no sweat.. easy peasy.. but this one.. how on earth can I complete this one? I can defend myself against the spores (also after the 11 minute mark), and I've managed to keep a single gun turrent alive with 2 guppies in a very small area on the creeper ship for a few minutes at a time, but never managed to create enough space for an actual foothold..
I can't find any youtubers having done a walkthrough of this map, so I'm at a loss what do with this thing..

Cheers

cornucanis

Quote from: renelm on December 03, 2018, 03:23:32 PM
I just recently started playing game (thanks, BRINK) and _just_ finished the main story line and saw some of these CT Warship videoes on BRINKs youtube-channel and thought I'd give this series a go... I completed #3, no sweat.. easy peasy.. but this one.. how on earth can I complete this one? I can defend myself against the spores (also after the 11 minute mark), and I've managed to keep a single gun turrent alive with 2 guppies in a very small area on the creeper ship for a few minutes at a time, but never managed to create enough space for an actual foothold..
I can't find any youtubers having done a walkthrough of this map, so I'm at a loss what do with this thing..

Cheers

Hi, and welcome to the community! I took a quick peek at the map to see what was going on, and I can give you a few pointers:

Spoiler

note: PZ = power zone

1. Keep in mind you start this map with a lot of energy production. It's not a situation you really encounter in the story missions, but in Colonial space you will often find maps like this where you get a ton of energy/aether/other resources from the beginning. This gives you the power to build a full army from the very beginning

2. You have 4 power zones, be sure you put those to very good use. This post by planetfall has some great tips for filling out power zones. On this map, I would highly recommend using your bertha on one of them, and putting beams on 2 of the others. This will give you a very cheap and effective spore defense. And of course the value of a PZ bertha should never be underestimated, as you probably saw in planetfall's post.

3. The blasters you have at the beginning are enough to protect you from the incoming digitalis for a while, so don't worry about increasing your ship defenses at the beginning. You can easily beef up your defenses by improving your weapons at the forge instead, since you'll be wanting to do that for your front line attackers anyway.

4. Don't be afraid to lose units. Since you have a "safe" home base, you can afford to send a giant army at the enemy with the expectation that half of them will die in the process. You don't need your whole army to survive, only the nullifier.

5. With only the starting blasters and 2 PZ beams being used, you should be using a very small amount of the energy production you begin with. This gives you a lot of energy to build up an army and a few guppies to supply it. On maps like this where you have to establish a foothold on a remote island, brute force is always a tried and true approach. Aiming your PZ bertha directly at the landing zone and letting it fire a few times will make the area a lot safer, then you can land a bunch of blasters and sprayers in that landing zone to quickly clear it. Make sure your guppies land before the blasters run dry, and you should successfully have a foothold. Make sure you get the nullifier built ASAP as well since there's an emitter right by your landing zone and you don't want to completely waste your efforts. As long as you kill that emitter, then you still came out ahead even if you end up losing every single unit used in the attack.

Finally, here's a screenshot of my army when I nullified the first emitter. Keep in mind my army was about twice the size shown when it landed, but many of them died off in the attack.

Note that this also protrays a pretty sloppy attack since I was just trying to quickly get a screenshot to demonstrate for you how to get a foothold. Since I only used packet guppies, there was nothing to resupply the sprayers and they quickly became useless. If you add a few AC guppies your attack will have more staying power.
[close]

Hope this helps, give us a shout if you need any other tips!

BilboGCL

Hi!
In addition to cornucanis post: when you need (more or less) real time help, join the Discord chat!
And don't forget that every user can post a map so there is a great variety in difficulty!

Greetings from The Shire!
Hey, come to the dark side Discord, we have cookies!