Direction Convention

Started by chwooly, June 16, 2018, 01:27:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chwooly

I started a map today and the dialog stated that the only safe landing spot was in the north west. Now I have done a lot of orienteering in the past and actually was a Land Nav instructor in another life so when looking at a map without a direction arrow or legend and you aren't in the area so you can't orient the map to land features, the standard is usually up=North, Down=south, right=East and left=West

However on this particular map, when looking at the landing areas east and west were reversed. since the only place to land was in the north east due to land structure and based on the above convention.

So I guess my question is 2 fold, Is the convention in CW different, or is the convention different depending on your country or if you're not from the USA?

Thanks

Cheers
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

GoodMorning

I'd just assume it was an error.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Grabz

Yeah, likely an error on the mapmaker's part.

CW4 is likely going to have a compass considering you will be able to rotate the map.
For quicker response, reply to me directly at Grabz#4707 on Discord. Find me on the KC server: https://discord.gg/knucklecracker

Karsten75

Quote from: Grabz on June 16, 2018, 08:56:55 AM
Yeah, likely an error on the mapmaker's part.

CW4 is likely going to have a compass considering you will be able to rotate the map.

I'm not sure. Sounds like a good idea, but OTOH, one can re-orient the map with one keystroke. If I look at maps on my phone GPS that can rotate, the compass isn't that helpful - it only serves to remind me that north may not be at the top.

My concern would be with cluttering the UI with additional components that may have questionable utility. I realize that there can always be an option to turn it on/off, but that means Virgil has to invest in the ork to implement it, and the work to turn it on/off. So... 

chwooly

I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Nicant

Maybe there could be an indicator off the map that shows the player which way is north? The indicator could only be seen when zoomed out so far and the player can choose to turn it off or on. Having only one cardinal direction, the player can make up what the other directions are. Example pic below.. Actually i should just make this another post on pre-release chatter.
CW4 hype!!