Custom Map #5867: Extremely Long Map. By: Proster

Started by AutoPost, May 25, 2018, 04:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #5867: Extremely Long Map

Author: Proster
Size: 128x128

Desc:
You start in a small plate, protected from the sea of creeper that surrounds you. How you are going to get off this plate and expand? Time...

thoma5nator

My response to this map is wholly unpostable to this family-friendly forum. I award you no points and may your deity of choice have mercy on your cold, cold heart. 14 hours. 14 HOURS!

Lightforger

At first i though this was a max size map with 2000 0.03 emitters, luckily not :p

biggest trick to starting is not landing on the island, instead just drop down right in the creep -- gives you 60 seconds uptime, and 30 seconds respawn, and the island gains 9 reactors (3.6 energy). Do make sure there's always 1 CN on the ground.

After that i worked mostly with mortars, shields and terped things up to height 5, changing to a 10-border once i had some more space.

Clearing this map in 20 min seems quite an achievement, slow run with terps took me an hour to reach an edge of the map.

marvinitfox

This is a vile, despicable, *horror* of a map!

I love it!

p.s.
upvoted another 1 point for the very honest title name

Martin Gronsdal

toolforger

Hm. No need for 14 hours.
You have to know how to drive your terped-up terrain forward though.
And you have to keep your energy network out of the red - adding more weapons won't help if there is not enough energy to power them all, you're just diluting the same amount of shots across more weapons.
Oh, and cannons aren't good at pushing that last amount of creep away, you need a Structure unit. Though you'll still need a cannon or two to clear out creep that got stuck in a valley.

Having to cycle your command nodes to keep everything powered is a bit annoying though. I probably lost multiple minutes clearing out enough space for a permanently landed cannon, and had to build a lot of reactors to replace the energy production from the command nodes I wouldn't land anymore.
Well, quality of life and all that, I just didn't want to have to think about that CN cycling anymore :-)