Blackscreen after starting the game

Started by Zorashad, February 25, 2018, 01:33:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zorashad

After i installed this game for the first time and tried to play it, i hear a single sound effect and i have a black screen. I seem to be able to fix this by going to an older version, but after going back to the most recent version i get the same problem.
No matter how long i wait after that, the blackscreen won't go away and therefore nothing appears. I have attached the output log for those that want to take a look.
Some details about my computer:

Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6300 Six-Core Processor  3.50 GHz
RAM: 4 GB
System type: 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Karsten75

I'm assuming this is Creeper World 3 and not Particle Fleet?

Edit 1: The issue seems to be around your display device (monitor) can you provide some details on the resolution of your monitor, how it's attached to the PC?

Also, please look for this in Appdata: %appdata%\CreeperWorld3\GameSettings.xml and upload that file here as well.  You can copy/paste the blue text directly into Windows File exporer to locate the file.

Karsten75

The error you got in the log is this:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
  at UnityEngine.Display.RecreateDisplayList/

I Googled that and found a post that may have some relevance for you:
https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/1480982971174752598/

The relevant part for you I think is this:

QuoteI went into Nvidia Control Panel. This is where I changed "Aspect ratio" to "No scaling" on the Adjust desktop size and position page (with "perform scaling on Display"). Suddenly everything was okay again.

Let me know.

Zorashad

Thanks for awnsering, here was the requested file.
As for my monitor it has a resolution of 1920x1080, as for how its attached it uses a dvi cable, or how its called.

I also tried to follow the advise in the post you pointed me at but i couldn't find the window they were refering to.

Karsten75

Well, all I can tell you is that it is apparently a knows issue with that specific version of Unity and aspect ratio scaling.

You can look in your Windows Display settings, to see if you have an aspect ratio specified there, or use the NVIDIA quick start guide (https://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/382.33/382.33-nvidia-control-panel-quick-start-guide.pdf) and perhaps that may help you locate the setting in the Nvidia control panel.

Alternatively, this bug does not exists in the older version of Unity that was used to build the older version of Creeper World 3. You can fall back and continue to use that.

knucracker

The previous version of the game was built with an older unity engine, but is basically otherwise the exact same game as the 'later' version of CW3.  So you won't be missing any features in the game by using the 'older' version.

Zorashad

In that case i will probably keep using the older version of cw3, thanks for helping me.
And virgil, good luck with making creeper world 4! Hope it will be just as great as 3.