CW3: Will glitchy maps ever be fixed?

Started by ivan, December 03, 2017, 12:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivan

Hi,

I'm slowly grinding through all the extra missions, I feel it will take years to complete but I'm patient and love the game.

However, I've read there are maps that are impossible to complete (and I've experienced it myself with Trains 02), which is going to ruin it all for me if I can't get all the green systems to turn white. I'm not even kidding, if I can't manage to get 100% completion it's gonna irk me to my grave...

I've also read, at least in Trains 02 case, that the original map maker will not fix it. What if somebody steps up? If I go in and try to fix that, would the fix get included in an update? Any hopes of that? And in that case, where could I read about getting into the maps and modifying them?

Thanks!

Karsten75

It is highly unlikely that there will be updates to Creeper World 3. The came is considered "complete and stable" and has been so for a number of years now. Regrettably, those glitched maps in Alpha sector serve as a reminder that alpha testing is a black art. :) You may also encounter maps in Tormented Space that no-one has managed to complete.

So, you will have to resign yourself to a less than completely cleared sector there as well. Just consider it part of the lore - however powerful humans are, the Creeper can never be vanquished.

Also, are you proposing to play all (currently) 5000+ maps in Colonial Space? In that case, you may want to put in your will that your descendants complete the task for you? :)

ivan

Well that sucks... I wasn't planning on playing much of Colonial Space, though my descendants would do well to experience this game :D

Thanks for your reply!

Cavemaniac

My daughter was born just days after CW3 was released.

She's four now.

I look forward to her imminent critique of my CW4 gameplay style.

;)
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

kajacx

Quote from: ivan on December 03, 2017, 12:45:04 PM
And in that case, where could I read about getting into the maps and modifying them?

You can indeed modify the maps. First, start an alpha sector map, then do nothing for 1 second and leave the map. It will create an autosave in c:\Users\[YourName]\Documents\creeperworld3\data\sectors\internal\500\alpha_virgilw\alpha_[MapName]-auto.cw3, I recommend sorting by date in the last folder.

Next, copy the save file into c:\Users\[YourName]\Documents\creeperworld3\WorldEditor\[MapName]\save.cw3, the mapname really doesn't matter that much here, but it's important to rename the file to save.cw3. Next, go to "ProjectS" in CW3 main menu and you should see the map. You can edit it there.

I will not go over how to edit maps, however if the bug is some broken CRPL script, you will need to learn how to program in CRPL in order to fix it, I recommend starting with this or this tutorial. Or you can send them to me if you beleive it's a CRPL bug and I'll take a look at it, but only after chrismas, until then I have my hands full with a special chrismas map for PF.

Lastly, after you fix and save the map in the editor, copy the file back into where you got it from. Then go to alpha sector and load the map with the autosave, and you should be able to play the modified version.

One more note: if you are playing on Linux or Mac, here are the save file locations on those platforms.
Why do work yourself, when you can write a program that will do the work for you.

Karsten75

Quote from: kajacx on December 09, 2017, 09:51:09 AM
then do nothing for 1 second and leave the map.

You can leave it immediately, while still paused and the autosave will be as the map starts. No need for the 1-second wait. :)

GoodMorning

And if you edit it, you will be unable to submit scores visible to everyone else.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Karsten75

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 09, 2017, 05:39:54 PM
And if you edit it, you will be unable to submit scores visible to everyone else.

That is true, but if you fix t and upload it to Colonial Space...

hbarudi

The second trains map has been fixed, but not properly added to the alpha sector. There are comments about that, but the other map where if you send a packet into a totem without building a forge, it will nullify everything on the map and no victory.

ivan

Awesome! I will dive into the maps sometime the next year :D