Mechanic idea: terrain eroded by creeper.

Started by theachevah, November 27, 2017, 04:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theachevah

Creeper, after a certain height, or momentum, can erode (move) higher terrain to lower heights...
Example:
>creeper emitter on mountain
>emits waves of Y amount of creeper per X time
>if creeper reaches Z amount of momentum, the terrain at height (for example) 10, will reach the nearest height 8 terrain to turn it to terrain height 9.
What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, HAVE AT YOU!

harrymcb

i don't really like this idea. aside from the ascetic issues of it there is the fact that it evens out the terrain making strategy almost non existent. thus why there are few flat maps.

ShadowDragon7015

maybe having set areas of land (and depth of that land) that the creeper can erode kind of like the gateways eroding land in creeper world 2. That way it doesn't go completely flat.
Hiding the golden creeper for years to come.

Builder17

Quote from: ShadowDragon7015 on November 30, 2017, 06:51:46 AM
maybe having set areas of land (and depth of that land) that the creeper can erode kind of like the gateways eroding land in creeper world 2. That way it doesn't go completely flat.

Good point, CW2 has two land eroding mechanics. Other one decay-able terrain and other one terrain destroy-able with enemy packets.

Terrain example images attached. (Taken from CW2 editor manual)

ShadowDragon7015

if you were able to send packets from an enemy structure like in cw2 you could cause large floods and other cool effects with the more water like creeper physics in cw4. I know i would use it :P

copperrein

Rocks vs. dirt. Could be cool. *ponders mudslides and other natural disasters*
I'm old and bitter

Introprospector

A special type of terrain that erodes would prove useful to map creators but the predominant type of terrain should be permanent and only controlled by terps tbh

PrincessWendy

you could have areas of sand or softer materials.
it could be cool to have a natural barrier that would break if too much stress was put on it flooding an area.

ShadowDragon7015

Quote from: Introprospector on January 17, 2018, 12:47:15 AM
A special type of terrain that erodes would prove useful to map creators but the predominant type of terrain should be permanent and only controlled by terps tbh
Maybe have the land that terps place be dirt as oppose to rock, or have it take more energy to turn it into rock

Builder17

Quote from: ShadowDragon7015 on January 20, 2018, 08:32:51 PM
Maybe have the land that terps place be dirt as oppose to rock, or have it take more energy to turn it into rock

Hmm, so preplaced terrain would be rock or dirt? First option should maybe prevent terping rocky terrain lower, if terp isn't strong enough to create it either?