Custom Map #5037: Nomad. By: Pusillanimous

Started by AutoPost, November 19, 2017, 08:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodMorning

Why would you need to? There's not a trap in it. (Unless I've made a mistake, or your autosave got lost.)

In fact, since the map starts out coated with as much Creeper as there ever will be, I don't know that it's possible to lose.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Sorrontis

I made a mistake re a bertha and I reloaded to the last autosave, which was 15 minutes prior. :(
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

hbarudi

Finally someone is using the fields feature that existed in cw3, but only in the crpl. Interesting map, I didn't build any reactors, but used the forge energy upgrades to make my CN give a lot of energy enough to power berthas long enough to defeat the creeper.

D0m0nik

QuoteOut of interest, D0m0nik, how much did this alter your tactics? I get the impression that speedruns tend to involve destroying the least amount of Creeper possible, because that takes time. How did it feel to have to destroy as much Creeper as possible?

Yeah some things I did the same and some things were very different. I learnt a few things too late and w may reply later.

Spoiler
The main difference was I normaly upgrade power up to 80 or 100 before I upgrade anything else. This time power to 40 then all in build speed until fully upgraded, then fire rate. I made a mistake of making mortors early on, complete waste of power. I also started in just one circle before realising you need to manage all three spaces, I kept CNs in creeper to free up space. I also only aimed for PZ berthas before realising I could manage a few more, I had an extra 4 but would have preferred an extra 10. Mortors and cannons are not needed until the last seconds for a little clean up. I pit reactors at the edge of the clearings were they would last the longest and then kept collectors covering as much as possible.
[close]

GoodMorning

Interesting to read.

Spoiler

I spent the time until the first PZs became available in building up power. I used Reactors wherever they would last (apart from the standard collector-bootstrap power). Build speed and a little power were my early upgrades. Once I had the PZs, I used Berthas to take the strain off the fields. This increases the area available for building, and let me connect the three circles with a Relay to the Forge. With that done, I picked a spot for a base, and cleared the Creeper there. The next set of Berthas placed, I threw down some cannons to keep the land clear of the thin layers. More land, more Reactors, more Berthas. I used only as many Collectors as I needed to stitch the Reactor grids together. I did keep the CNs landed and Creeper-free (accidents aside).

I had made a few small errors with the scripting/victory conditions, so I played through the map three times to get a score. So I can't recall where exactly I cleared out first on the run that currently has an associated score. I do recall that about half of the map still had Creeper when the map finished - but (due to a bug I had missed) the Creeper doesn't count if it's under 0.5, due to rounding. I decided to leave the bug in (it's a feature now!), because the rest would be cleanup with a completely different mix of weapons.
[close]

D0m0nik

Mt technique is obviously flawed here, just replayed and saved just one minute! It certainly is a very interesting map, good job!

BilboGCL

Quote from: D0m0nik on November 21, 2017, 02:44:11 AM
[...] you need to manage all three spaces [...]

I disagree - I started with cannons and mortars in all three circles but pretty fast I concentrated on on circle and didn't care for small artillery - When a PZ was in range, it had a bertha with auto-target, shortly before reentering the creeper I set the target somewhere next to the bertha itself. When there as no PZ in range, I just built some reactors.
Of course that is pretty slow but it works fine - no need to hurry.

Greetings from The Shire!

Hey, come to the dark side Discord, we have cookies!

yum-forum

Nice FREE COMPETITION (in time score) in this game!  :)
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

Sorrontis

Finally got time to finish this. Not bad... I like it. I might steal some scripts from you :P
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Karsten75

I could not a) determine if there was a way that the fields moved or could be influenced. Nor could I b) accurately determine the winning conditions.

Sorrontis

1) Fields moving in an orbit :)
2) Wipe out all (well, most) of the Creeper

GoodMorning

To be clear: There's a flying CRPL unit which projects each field. They gradually move in a circle about the middle of the map.

Victory is when the Creeper depth is under 0.5 everywhere on the map.

I'll have to remember to be clearer about such things in future.