For Virgil: Regarding a Discord bot

Started by Ninja, November 16, 2017, 04:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninja

Disclaimer:
Disclaimer
The following is intended for Virgilw in regards to a request for more information on a bot that I mentioned on the Discord server. Feel free to post your personal opinions below,
but all of the information provided is solely intended to inform Virgil about the bot. I doubt I'll be responding to anyone other than V unless you have a question about the bot or you misunderstand the bot.
[close]

So, beginning information about the bot:
Name: Mee6 (https://mee6.xyz/)
Hosted by a 3rd party, mostly reliable.
My idea with adding this bot is a way to automatically give out the "Citizen of Odin" role after members reach a certain level of activity. I'll list a few pros and cons of this function with Mee6.
Pros:
Automated
Can be set to whatever level you want
All people with the role currently will maintain the role after the bot joins.

Kind of both: In order to prevent people from gaining the role automatically (e.g., people who break the rules) you'll need to make another role that prevents them from gaining experience. This would provide a way for moderators to know who the troublemakers are, but it'd also publicly mark the troublemakers, so this is the thing that I'd imagine would be the make/break decision in whether or not the bot gets added.

Cons:
The role cannot be removed easily. Someone with server manage permissions would have to go into the Mee6 dashboard and reset their experience level manually, then remove the role. The role mentioned above would then have to be added to prevent them from automatically regaining it.
To make sure that this becomes solely a way to add a role automatically and not a "race to the top of the leaderboard" thing, you'd have to make sure that Mee6 is muted manually in each channel so that people cannot use the "rank" or "levels" command to check their rank or the leaderboard.
There's a thing you'd have to disable on the Mee6 dashboard to prevent it from notifying people when they level up.

Some additional information on Mee6:
The main reason I'm bringing up this bot is the role adding thing, however there are other modules in the Mee6 bot that could prove useful that would be easily accessible if you added Mee6 to the server. There's a moderation commands module, which would add the ability to turn on "slowmode", add an automatic language filter (though you'd have to set it up yourself), and also add the ability to clear messages— both everything in a channel (up to the past 1000), and the past 100 messages from a specific user. Custom commands can be added as well, and there could also be an announcement set up for anytime a stream goes live.

None of the additional things are really reasons that I'm saying you should add Mee6, I just wanted to make sure you understood that it isn't a bot solely intended for that one thing. All of these modules can be enabled/disabled at will, so you can use as many or as few of Mee6's features as you'd like.

Last note: Setting this up is slightly complicated, but I do know how to do it. If you want to add it but aren't certain of how to set it up exactly how you want it, I can talk you through it (or do it for you if you give me the right permissions, but I understand that you likely don't trust me enough to give me such dangerous permissions).