Custom Map #926: Collective Under Fire. By: Decagon

Started by AutoPost, November 01, 2017, 09:21:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #926: Collective Under Fire

Author: Decagon
Size: 300x400

Desc:
After using a powerful Progenitor Hyperspace Gate to travel across a vast section of Redacted Space, the HDF Forward Assault Fleet is faced with a huge Hydraxil processing facility. This place of horrors is not merely processing raw materials, however, but functions to turn the unfortunate captives from Collective conquests into... more useful materials.

chwooly

Other than severe lag, It wasn't a bad map, Just had to figure out the trick. I hate having to restart maps but only had to restart once so not bad for me.

Also not sure why lag is becoming a problem since this is the only PC I have played this game on. I think the amounts and size of ships plus amount of particles is starting to increase severely from previous maps or maybe my PC is dying, Not sure which  :o
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Keeper Decagon

More often than not, the large ships and miring seem to create more lag issues than large particle numbers, but I don't find it too horribly unbearable. If I did, I'd make sure the map ran better before releasing it. :P

Also, glad you figured it out. I was worried people were going to be caught out. ;)
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

Syth

Quote from: chwooly on November 01, 2017, 12:30:27 PM
wasn't a bad map, Just had to figure out the trick. I hate having to restart maps but only had to restart once so not bad for me.

The map was enjoyable for me my second time through it, but I was wondering if there is any way to
Spoiler
stop the ship once it spawns, or if it's a race from that point?
[close]

GoodMorning

It's definitely possible to crush every ship on the map. One well-placed Omni can stop the big ship when it spawns, too, if you're so inclined. My playthrough was slightly too slow.

For the same of the exercise, I disabled  the last Totem when I claimed the planet, and beat the map the old-fashioned way. Nothing resisted, thought I had lost a HQ and two Scaffolds by the end. I could probably have done better if I had done some judicious ramming.

That last spawner is impossible to destroy without the aid of the Totems, though - one final irritating unit.

Decagon, good map. This is (to boot) the first map where I have enjoyed seeing a stable Pylon used, thank you.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: Syth on November 03, 2017, 01:03:38 AM
Quote from: chwooly on November 01, 2017, 12:30:27 PM
wasn't a bad map, Just had to figure out the trick. I hate having to restart maps but only had to restart once so not bad for me.

The map was enjoyable for me my second time through it, but I was wondering if there is any way to
Spoiler
stop the ship once it spawns, or if it's a race from that point?
[close]
It's much less of a race than an exercise in fleet-wide evasion. The Superdreadnought takes a very particular path that allows you to largely dodge it (there is a reason why I gave the map a lot of wide-open space). :P

That way, facing the Superdreadnought directly is more or less optional.

Quote from: GoodMorning on November 03, 2017, 09:25:26 AM
It's definitely possible to crush every ship on the map. One well-placed Omni can stop the big ship when it spawns, too, if you're so inclined. My playthrough was slightly too slow.

For the same of the exercise, I disabled  the last Totem when I claimed the planet, and beat the map the old-fashioned way. Nothing resisted, thought I had lost a HQ and two Scaffolds by the end. I could probably have done better if I had done some judicious ramming.

That last spawner is impossible to destroy without the aid of the Totems, though - one final irritating unit.

Decagon, good map. This is (to boot) the first map where I have enjoyed seeing a stable Pylon used, thank you.

Thanks! And yeah, I figured that this fleet would be so incredibly terribly boring to build that I turned to the PRPL dark-side and said "screw it, give 'em infinite insta-build credits", and so I did. That way, as well, you never need to worry about losing a large ship anymore, or even your entire fleet, because you can simply rebuild it with absolutely no sweat. No need for a restart either, unless you want that fast time of course. :P
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

GoodMorning

Actually, this map can be lost.

Energy mines don't activate without a completed HQ module around, and you need energy to rebuild that critical blue rectangle. So if you have lost the entire fleet, you have no way to get energy.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: GoodMorning on November 03, 2017, 05:23:29 PM
Actually, this map can be lost.

Energy mines don't activate without a completed HQ module around, and you need energy to rebuild that critical blue rectangle. So if you have lost the entire fleet, you have no way to get energy.

Interesting. Due to the way that jump-capable ships interact with the "LOST FOREVER" setting, as in remove it on jump-out, I assumed the same would happen with non-jump-capable HQ vessels. This appears to not be the case.

I had it planned in my head, you see, where if your fleet goes to hell for some reason, the normal HQ would unlock as a contingency. I'll have to remember this interaction for future maps, or just make the HDF-HQ a jump-capable ship too.

ChaosMaster130

Alright, operation OMNIKRIEG was a success.
But yeah pretty cool map. glad we got to save our other dudes.
Spamming my Up+B Special since 1999!

Johnny Haywire

Cool map! Yeah, you can kill the super-big ship easily enough. One key for ramming:
Spoiler
You can stack ships together if you're careful, and fly them on top of each other. They join together to form a mega-ramming ship. I think I just used the two Heavy Cruisers and 3 destroyers, and maybe one other ship here or there. Never lost the Scaffold.  8)
[close]

I think the one element of the game which I dislike more than any other is the emergent. Friendly or not, it's just too random & annoying to me. But I can overlook that in a cool map like this. Fun battles from start to finish!

Thx for the great map!  ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

El doctor de creatividad

I managed to use this map to test out a 127 by 127 ship I built awhile back (yes, it took some rock burning), and I successfully did so, despite it being too big to fit the bridge in the range with all the ship outside it (There were gaps I could exploit), and it makes me wish that there was a test map that had a stable pylon with enough range to handle any ship.  I tried it on TECHNO 1's Advectorian! map - it had Stickman's (I think) Shipyard, but the game crashed before the ship finished, possibly due to overflow error (The ship is just that huge).  Just thought you might want to know. 

And yes, I did beat the map normally.  It WAS tricky to get the Derelict Carrier close enough to land to get Omnis on there, but I got it done.
Whatever happens, may quantum mechanics - or whatever the true nature of our home universe may be - may such nature have mercy on us all...