Custom Map #4837: Love me, Hate me, Beat me. By: BilboGCL

Started by AutoPost, September 24, 2017, 08:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #4837: Love me, Hate me, Beat me

Author: BilboGCL
Size: 201x101

Desc:
Okay, while I've built this map, I loved it - when I started the first runs I began to hate it and as it is uploaded, it's beaten...

D0m0nik

I loved and hated it as well Bilbo, the top left emitter was a real chore to take! I could have waited for speed of 400 and range to match so a few more mortars could hit but I am impatient. I ended up:

Spoiler
using two shields on the island to the right and landing one sprayer after another onto the emitter island and instantly destroying them to release the AC in one big hit. 5 PZ berthas were staggered and I moved the CN as close as possible.
[close]

Tricky end. Loved it ultimately though, there was a high level of challenge from beginning to end, a real pro map. I was caught out by spores on more than one occasion!

GoodMorning

It's also easy to stabilise, so those who play a slower game can.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

BilboGCL

Less than half an hour... Pretty unbelievable for me! Congratulions!
Your approach to top-left is interesting, didn't even think of such a strategy. Shields, however, aren't my uuu's (usually used units), but here I took one or two, too!
I found myself more than one time in a cloud of creeper...

Greetings from The Shire!
Hey, come to the dark side Discord, we have cookies!

GoodMorning

I did spend a lot of time picking up the pieces after an undeservedly high number of Spores targeted a fresh-extended arm. Good fun, and, as ever, "PZ THE BERTHAS!"
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Karsten75

BilboGCL

Quote from: Karsten75 on September 25, 2017, 07:51:15 PM
I rage-quitted after several failed attempts.

To be honest, if I didn't fell in love with this map while I built it, I probably would have done the same.

pastor.healer

That was a real love hate map
:)   :(
L   H
Good   Bad
Goodness...  I need to take a vacation

D0m0nik
You must be smiling along the way... 

D0m0nik

It was a strange one this PH, the start took several failed attempts to get right as I wanted control of all digitalis on the right side of the map pretty much from the start. The spores caught me out from both sides and the digitalis broke through on a couple of occasions. It was then easy to advance left but the final challenges where a real push. It is unusual to have a chellengin finale and so have to commend that!

Johnny Haywire

First of all - great map, imo. I had no "hate" for this map at all and just took my time with it.

As with all challenging maps, I highly recommend the "popcorn" strategy. This is a highly complicated method, since cooking popcorn too long will burn it, and not cooking it long enough will leave lots of unpopped kernels. But once you have made the perfect popcorn, you're ready to take on this map. (You *can* substitute potato chips or other such yummy snack for popcorn if needed).

Step 1 - Start the map.
Step 2 - Eat your popcorn (or potato chips) while you do nothing but sit & watch what happens in the map. Grab a soda if you want.
Step 3 - After about 5 minutes, you probably will realize what you need to do in the map, so now you're ready to...
Step 4 - Restart the map, land your CN's to grab the goodies in the lower right, then you can just relax & take your time from there.

Granted, this isn't the most noble strategy, but you won't really need to worry about much. Just make slow, calculated progress and don't stress about it. If you can establish a defensible position that can't be overrun, you can't lose a game. Not losing is the first step. After you've made sure you can't lose, all you have to do is win.  ;)

Dom's strategy for tackling this map is far better, but this "lazy man's strategy" should work for players of just about any skill level. (You DO need to know that spores won't target Beams, so build as many as you want once you land your CN's and go from there).

Great map, Bilbo! I've thoroughly enjoyed all your maps so far - I'm only able to do 1 or 2 a week though. Thanks for your creativity and diligence in making these!  ;D ;D

You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

BilboGCL

Thanks a lot for these kind words - you've made a small, old hobbit really happy!

Greetings from The Shire!