Custom Map #4707: Eight tiles. By: BilboGCL

Started by AutoPost, August 20, 2017, 07:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #4707: Eight tiles

Author: BilboGCL
Size: 160x128

Desc:
A lot of energy, should be no problem - but to be honest, a save when you are safe is not the worst ide

patrickbuit

The reason I do not like this map much is not because it is difficult, but it is because of the way it achieved difficulty. Launching 25 spores at the player so early is imo just a weak excuse for lazy level design. Difficult levels are fun, levels that launch two dozens of spores at you from the very beginning to achieve said difficulty are not.

GoodMorning

A fair point. However, there is a topic around entitled "I absolutely hate the forced rush maps!", which has a good analysis of why they occur. This is from CW1, I seem to recall. I would link to it, but this device doesn't like the search. A stripped-down version of a summary is "taste".

Edit: Two characters out of the title, hopefully it will be searchable now. Thanks ea3401 for the link below. With that said, I had forgotten the tone of the top of the thread, and recalled only the last few lines.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

BilboGCL

I see your point, but did you realize that you can
Spoiler

• get the PZ above the energy with one mortar and two cannons pretty early?
  • build a dozen of beam-protected reactors with the energy supplied?
  • get the whole tech pretty early by the price of building a fast defense
[close]
What time of delay would you consider to be fair?

Greetings from The Shire

Edit: I can't find the topic you mentioned by search...
Hey, come to the dark side Discord, we have cookies!

flaac

The 25 spore don't came that early. You have 9 minutes to prépare yourself.

The first time that I play the map, I notice them after the second wave, and the destruction they did was more annoying than a real treat.

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: patrickbuit on August 21, 2017, 07:38:27 AM
The reason I do not like this map much is not because it is difficult, but it is because of the way it achieved difficulty. Launching 25 spores at the player so early is imo just a weak excuse for lazy level design. Difficult levels are fun, levels that launch two dozens of spores at you from the very beginning to achieve said difficulty are not.

I didn't even realize there were 25 spores until they launched.  They were intercepted anyway.  I had beams on the two PZs to the south that got most of them.

You put that -1000 emitter in the way so we would have to kill it.  Just to spite you I won it without killing that emitter.

BilboGCL

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on August 23, 2017, 11:50:13 AM
You put that -1000 emitter in the way so we would have to kill it.  Just to spite you I won it without killing that emitter.

Oh - didn't even try that... Cool! In fact I wonder if anybody used a nullifier in the PZ left to the -1000, only destroying the antiemitter. You are supposed to (haha) build two nullifiers at the same time to get rid of the emitters ;)
Hey, come to the dark side Discord, we have cookies!

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: BilboGCL on August 23, 2017, 12:07:39 PM
Quote from: Loren Pechtel on August 23, 2017, 11:50:13 AM

Oh - didn't even try that... Cool! In fact I wonder if anybody used a nullifier in the PZ left to the -1000, only destroying the antiemitter. You are supposed to (haha) build two nullifiers at the same time to get rid of the emitters ;)

The corners on the east side of that tile can kill the enemy while sparing the antiemitter.  Put enough firepower on the situation and you can do it.