Game crashing when last emitter is defeated...

Started by Braaidude, August 08, 2017, 11:21:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Braaidude

Its happened to me twice today, and its pretty devastating when you've spent hours getting to where you have. Anyways, here is the screenshot; as you can see, I was playing on Kongregate...

I was considering purchasing the full version, but I won't bother if there is an incompatability with my Mac...

Karsten75

Ever heard the phrase "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar"? I don't think the implied threat of one lost sale is enough to spur anyone to a great deal of activity.

It would have been mighty helpful if you had mentioned which game and where you played it. From the screenshot it looks like Kongregate. From the fact that it's a WebGL message, I'd hazard a guess you're playing CW3.

CW3 was ported to WebGL from Unity3D only on Kongregate (maybe Armor games as well? - I don't recall). This was in response to most browsers removing support for the Unity Web Player. 

Storage is an issue with WebGL, the developer has to allocate a huge chunk pre-emptively. I guess Virgil didn't anticipate anyone playing for "hours" on any particular level.

Since you didn't mention the level, I can't try it myself to see if it is a repeatable problem.  Also, it might be an issue with your Mac - how old is it, what level of OS does it have and how much RAM does it have?

I can tell you that the game is played (both on Kongregate and on stand-alone form) many millions of times and this is the first report we've heard. So you can feel free to try the stand-alone version (There's also a free demo) and both Virgil and Steam offers refunds if the game is broken on your particular hardware.

PS. What do you braai? Wors or chops? :P

Braaidude

Hi there, thanks for the timely response.

To be honest, there was no intention of that coming across as a threat, I was just trying to convey my disappointment after having spent hours on those levels just to have the game crash. If my Mac is not compatible, then there really is no point in buying the game. Out of courtesy though, I'd thought I'd convey what had happened and - if it is a recurring problem with other people - why Knuckle Cracker may have lost out on some sales, and as a fairly experienced cook, I can assure you that apple cider vinegar does a very, very good job of catching flies! ;-)

To answer your other questions, the game was CW3 and the level was Interrupt. I've only just started playing, so yeah, the standard may not be what everyone usually comes up with. I have a 2012 Mac running OS 10.12.1. It has 16Gb DDR3 Ram, and 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 processor (quad core I believe)...

I've attached a screenshot to show the exact point at which the game crashed. Feel free to have a giggle at my newbiness!

As for what do I braai? Well, chops, chicken, steak etc, but I make my own Wors, which is a useful skill to have here in the UK!! :P Am I correct in assuming that I am communicating with a fellow Saffa?

Karsten75

OK, with the new information, I replayed the mission on Windows, in Firefox ESR version and managed to recreate the crash.

So I called Virgil and he's looking at fixing it. I'd recommend you get the demo (see my previous post for a link) and test that. If that works, get the full game on Steam - far fewer problems and you'd also get a ton more maps.

As for the "braai" question - no, I've just heard of that method of cremating good meat. :)

Braaidude

Ok, great. Good to know that my report was useful.

I'll check out the demo, and give that a bash.

Cremating?! lol Someone's doing something wrong then! :P

Karsten75

It would appear Virgil uploaded a version with a larger default storage allocation - at least the game isn't crashing when I play it anymore.

Braaidude

Many thanks for letting me know.

i've played through the demo and had absolutely no problems whatsoever. I'll be picking up the full version shortly.

I must say that the response time and resolution of the issues pertaining to my post was very impressive indeed.

knucracker

Yeah, it was a mistake I made a few months ago.  I had rebuilt CW3:Abraxis using unity 5.6 and uploaded the game with a 360MB memory allocation.  It was supposed to be 512MB and it was when I first put the webgl version on Kongregate this past January. I've increased the memory to 640MB as of now (Aug 9, 2017). That is a bit extra to give the game a little breathing room.