Author Topic: The Crystallid Convergence  (Read 600 times)

Keeper Decagon

• Map Maker
  • Going Nuclear.
The Crystallid Convergence
« on: August 05, 2017, 05:08:19 pm »
"We are the scales of the Universe, and we shall not be tipped." - Prismatic Placid Flare, 144th CE.

Welcome to the page I wanted to dedicate to the Crystallids, one of the greatest and most intriguing races I have ever created (in my opinion). What started out as a dream about crystal-shaped ships has blossomed into a constantly developing race in the midst of a galactic war.

Ancient and wise beyond what they let on, the Crystallids have played a minor part in events leading up to the 145th CE, their largest role having been performed alongside the Seloi in the 144th CE as researchers, explorers and steadfast allies. They nearly lost everything when they became the prime target for the Hydraxil Collective, narrowly surviving by activating a Seloi gravitational trap to seal themselves, those that remained, within a forgotten asteroid belt.

This thread is dedicated to explaining not only the history of the Crystallid race, but also showing you what I have imagined them to be as a race. Therefore, I have assembled a basic profile for the Crystallids, helping to (hopefully) answer questions about these mysterious crystal beings.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I will continue to update this page for as long as I continue to develop the Crystallids!

Thank you for reading!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 05:38:04 am by Keeper Decagon »
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

GoodMorning

• Map Maker
  • (Pusillanimous)
Re: The Crystallid Convergence
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 07:44:21 pm »
I have many questions, but I'll start with a strange one: What happened to the cores of the other First Born?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 08:16:53 pm by GoodMorning »
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Keeper Decagon

• Map Maker
  • Going Nuclear.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 08:09:07 pm »
I have many questions, but I'll start with a strange one: What happened to the cores of the other Forst Born?

The core of a First Born is linked with its life force, keeping it stable. When a First Born dies, the core's element is no longer able to sustain its integrity and destroys itself, leaving a lump of inert mineral behind.
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

GoodMorning

• Map Maker
  • (Pusillanimous)
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 08:30:13 pm »
"Ancient interdimensional entity" - Is this the Admiral, his daughter; or yourself?

(click to show/hide)
How well can the Crystallids redistribute energy within themselves?

Do Crystallids continue to grow, if slowly?

Have there been any known instances of Crystallids forming new hive minds? (Say, a stray Starfire)

Keeper Decagon

• Map Maker
  • Going Nuclear.
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 09:09:35 pm »
"Ancient interdimensional entity" - Is this the Admiral, his daughter; or yourself?

(click to show/hide)
How well can the Crystallids redistribute energy within themselves?

Do Crystallids continue to grow, if slowly?

Have there been any known instances of Crystallids forming new hive minds? (Say, a stray Starfire)

The ancient interdimensional entity takes many forms, but the term "Imperator" has been suggested in reference to this entity... :P

(click to show/hide)

Crystallid body matrices are very efficient at directing energy flow to where it's needed, leading to some crackpot engineers once trying to use these crystal matrices in starship conduits. They did fail, however, since it appears that the efficiency is a mixture between the physical matrix and the Crystallid's life force.
They were promptly arrested and jailed when they tried to jam a live Crystallid youngling into a starship conduit.

Crystallids do have the capability to continue to grow as large as they see fit, however, the larger forms generally require a lot more energy to sustain and therefore are not feasible for use. Hence, the Crystallids prefer to keep relatively small bodies.

There have been examples of new hive minds being formed by Crystallids, yes, when separated from the rest for whatever reason (such as Rift Space decoherence) in order to keep the Crystallids and the stations in question safe until the connection can be reestablished. Such hive minds will quickly be dissolved once the lost group is found.

In some cases, Crystallids had opted to live on a planet's surface, becoming the less-well-known "Planet Walker" Crystallids, where they will establish their own little hive mind between themselves to keep the group together and safe. Unfortunately, all of these alternate hive minds were destroyed by the Creeper over the ages.

There is, however, one new hive mind that has yet to be created. And that one will happen very soon...  ;)

GoodMorning

• Map Maker
  • (Pusillanimous)
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 09:40:27 pm »
There seems potential for a Crystallid (in unusual circumstances) to take a more complex shape.

Have they been known to have "inclusions"?

If my undeerstanding of their growth is correct, then each Crystallid now in existence would have the same physical traits as one of the First Born, from which they are distantly descended.

What happened in the case of the Shattered?

Keeper Decagon

• Map Maker
  • Going Nuclear.
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 10:02:59 pm »
There seems potential for a Crystallid (in unusual circumstances) to take a more complex shape.

Have they been known to have "inclusions"?

If my understanding of their growth is correct, then each Crystallid now in existence would have the same physical traits as one of the First Born, from which they are distantly descended.

What happened in the case of the Shattered?

Inclusions? Please elaborate.

Yes, all modern Crystallids share physical traits with one of the 25 First Born Crystallids, though some of the "trait strains" died out during periods of great hardship, since the First Borns from which they came were already gone.

The Shattered was originally a cruiser akin to the Prism that collided with an asteroid, this much is already known. The pilot of the Shattered at the time was able to keep the fragments together using a strong psionic bonding similarly to how the shards that form Crystallid limbs float in a cloud around a Crystallid. However, the bonding had to be maintained by a live Crystallid, meaning that the ship has to be piloted at all times by a psionically-gifted Crystallid in order to keep it together. This can be very draining, however, meaning the Shattered must have its pilot switched out often to keep it running at any sort of efficiency.

GoodMorning

• Map Maker
  • (Pusillanimous)
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 10:05:03 pm »

Spaartan

• If Decagon levels up, will he become an Undecagon?
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 11:21:59 pm »
Can non-first borns still become somewhat close to Titan size? I am breaking ties with the Collective, and I would love to help the victims of their wrath.
At the end of the game, the Queen and the Pawn are put in the same box.

Keeper Decagon

• Map Maker
  • Going Nuclear.
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 05:43:51 am »
Can non-first borns still become somewhat close to Titan size? I am breaking ties with the Collective, and I would love to help the victims of their wrath.

It is possible for a non-First Born to become Titan-sized, but they won't be able to sustain the form for very long. First Born transformation into Titans is made possible by their elemental core, which allows not only rapid growth but also allows the First Born to maintain the Titan-form indefinitely (unless they are in combat, for that will drain their energy).

There have been rumours that there is a way in which a non-First Born can be "modified" to allow them to sustain a Titan-form, not indefinitely, but for a decent enough time. However, this involves some quantum flux mechanics only observed when natural Rift singularities form near ordinary matter, making it very difficult to artificially carry out this modification procedure... unless someone has the capability to reverse-engineer a series of Rift Totems. Hmm.

Keeper Decagon

• Map Maker
  • Going Nuclear.
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 05:51:28 am »
From an ancient database:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inclusion_(mineral)#Gemology

Aha, I see.

When the Crystallids still seeded and grew within asteroids, inclusions will definitely have been one of their physical traits. Since they switched to Starfire-based reproduction, however, they have much more control over the purity of the minerals used to grow a Crystallid, making modern-day Crystallids nearly pristine gemstones with only very minor inclusions.

Keeper Decagon

• Map Maker
  • Going Nuclear.
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 05:59:49 pm »
Update: Added four profiles to the "Notable Individuals" section. Additional characters will be added in due time.

GoodMorning

• Map Maker
  • (Pusillanimous)
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 06:24:59 pm »
... unless someone has the capability to reverse-engineer a series of Rift Totems. Hmm.

You asked? Rising Star is already looking into high-energy Rift interactions to expedite communication with the Vitastrae. There is also a more drastic plan, but...

Keeper Decagon

• Map Maker
  • Going Nuclear.
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 06:50:52 pm »
... unless someone has the capability to reverse-engineer a series of Rift Totems. Hmm.

You asked? Rising Star is already looking into high-energy Rift interactions to expedite communication with the Vitastrae. There is also a more drastic plan, but...

I'm sure the Crystallids would be quite interested in what the Rising Star finds out... once they escape GalCorp's relentless pursuing fleets. Also, a more drastic plan?

GoodMorning

• Map Maker
  • (Pusillanimous)
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 07:30:21 pm »
I've responded to that via PM, Decagon.

How does the Resonator manage resupply?