Custom Map #4625: The Eyes Have It. By: stdout

Started by AutoPost, July 25, 2017, 11:38:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #4625: The Eyes Have It

Author: stdout
Size: 250x139

Desc:
Dual base strategy required! A map made just for D0m0nik.

D0m0nik

Wow! Thank you for the map  :D

I just commented on a thread with you and PH and you appear to have made a map which looks a little PH!

stdout

I was definitely channeling PH a little bit in this map. I love his unique style!

(Can't believe you already posted a sub-10 minute score! Nice.)

D0m0nik

A lot fun this one, just my kind of map.

Spoiler
I missed one of the aether packets for about 5 mins so I am having another go at it.
[close]

stdout

yum-forum

One more excellent map from stdout! Thank You for enjoyment!  :)
Remember me Kalek style of hard terrain...  ;)
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

pastor.healer

I really enjoyed this map
Kudos!
What really upsets me is the < 10 minute time :)

stdout

Thanks both of you!

Really don't know how Dp does it. He must spend a lot of time with the game paused, being extra careful.

D0m0nik

Yeah I play with one finger permanently on the tab key and press it without even thinking about it, it has become habit. This map took about 20 mins to get a 6 min time. That is about normal. Someone did a script that disabled pause a while back and it was like playing a new game for me. I would like to see more of that as it presents a real test of skill and forces difficult choices.

For this one once the right CN landed and the energy siphon was built:
Spoiler

I paused and laid down every single unit I would use on that island except for the two PZ berthas. 5 guppies to support the left island, 4 terps, forge, collectors, about 20 reactors, a few mortors, 2 beams 1 sprayer and a few cannons.

On the left island I used the packet for collectors and two mortors to push back the AC and turned off the totems until the guppies arrived. When they got there first built reactors and fired up the totems. As usual power is key and getting the left island independent as early as poss is important.

Aether - energy and build/packet speed. Later a little fire rate upgrade to get the berthas firing.

Left top both AOO and top right little bit of terp and relayed over bottom left after a blast with a PZ bertha.

Getting berthas on PZs early a major focus.
[close]

GoodMorning

Quote from: D0m0nik on July 26, 2017, 02:41:11 AM
Someone did a script that disabled pause a while back and it was like playing a new game for me. I would like to see more of that as it presents a real test of skill and forces difficult choices.

I don't like the idea of disabling pause entirely, although it can be good for a normally-low-pressure multitasking map.
Blackout during pause can work.
However, it is also possible to cause penalties during pause - perhaps increasing the flow rate thereafter for the duration of the pause?
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Builder17

Sightly off-topic, but how would it work if somebody uses

http://knucklecracker.com/wiki/doku.php?id=crpl:docs:elapsedtime

to count real life time used in map and give score based on that?

Might cause hard map for speedrunners. :)

GoodMorning

Bad idea - that command can penalise players for lag.

I was thinking of something more like this:

IsPaused if
    <-Ticker 1 add ->Ticker
else
    <-Ticker 0 do
        #Something harmful
    loop
endif

It would need bracketing with :awake protection, although this becomes tricky what with save/load.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

willbir

Quote from: D0m0nik on July 26, 2017, 02:41:11 AM
Yeah I play with one finger permanently on the tab key and press it without even thinking about it, it has become habit. This map took about 20 mins to get a 6 min time.

Damn D0m0nik think I'm going to have to accept defeat on this one, I don't know how you pulled 6min off.

D0m0nik

Makes a nice change Willbir, you've been kicking my ass on a lot of maps lately! I could shave about 30 secs on this one, I forgot the top left spore and was late building the nullifier!

BilboGCL

This is once again a map where I try to terp as less as possible just to keep the great artwork intact! Sad enough, I had to enlarge the upper lids and bring the lower end of the eyebrows in a new shape.

Stdout, I'm really impressed by the graphics you can design with this editor.

Have I mentioned that the map was fun to play, too? No? OK, Thanks for this enjoyable map!

Greetings from The Shire
Hey, come to the dark side Discord, we have cookies!