Reactor ratios for self-powering ships

Started by TECHNO 1, July 25, 2017, 10:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TECHNO 1

For players who like to use reactors on custom ships (me for example) here is a list of reactor to module ratios, use it to know if your ship can fully fuel itself

The Reactor itself
Produces 1.5 energy per second.
AMP Gems do not increase production.
How do i know this?
1 - Go to the Mission editor and make a new map
2 - Enter the editor and make 2 ships with lots of energy tanks (any amount works really, even 0)
3 - Give 1 ship a reactor module, and give the other ship an energy mine with 1.5 production.
4 - (Make sure the energy mine can only fuel the ship without the reactor module)
5 - The two ships should increase energy at almost the exact same rate, so it's proven a reactor produces 1.5 energy per second.

Lathe
1 reactor can power 1 lathe with no excess energy (1:1)
Amp Gem: Same power per second, no excess energy (1:1)

Laser
2 reactors can power 3 lasers with no excess energy (2:3)
AMP Gem: Same power per second, no excess energy (2:3)

Cannon
1 reactor can power 4 cannons with no excess energy (1:4)
AMP Gem: 1 reactor can power 2 cannons with little excess energy (1:2)

Missile Launcher
1 reactor can power 3 missiles with almost no excess energy (1:3)
AMP Gem: 1 reactor can power 2 missiles with almost no excess energy (1:2)

Particle Beam
2 reactors can power 1 particle beam with no excess energy (2:1)
AMP Gem: Same power per second, no excess energy (2:1)

Discharger
4 reactors can power 1 discharger with no excess energy (4:1)
AMP Gem: Same power per second, no excess energy (4:1)
Note: If you can't fit on enough reactors to fully power your dischargers, you can use an energy tank instead. It will slightly decrease your energy regen, but allow you to fire discharger at max damage for longer duration.

Energy Tank
Increases max power by 500. (All ships have a base max power of 50)
AMP Gem: No effect.

Port
Exports energy as if it were a energy mine. Can export any amount of energy per second, but remember whatever is receiving that energy has a max import rate of 1 per frame, or 30 per second.
20 reactors can import into one ship/omni/other at max rate forever.

Guppy
Takes in energy from mines at a rate of 30 per second.
Time to get to the mine and back increases as distance from nearest energy mine increases.
Note: The ship's CM can only take in 1 energy per frame, but if you have several Guppies, you can take energy still at the same rate, but import into multiple sources.

Shield (warning advanced) (Contributed by GoodMorning)
Note: Shields always use up 15 energy per second, even if you have more than 1 shield on the same ship. So you get something like this:
10 reactors can power ∞ shields with no excess energy (10:∞)
AMP Gem: Unknown but most likely same power cost (?:∞)
Damage resistance from each shield module is currently unknown.

Fighter Bay (warning advanced):
With Energy Tank: 4 reactors can power 1 fighter bay without running out, if there is a big enough energy storage (4:1)
Without Tank: If you wanted to be constantly fueling a single fighter, with no break, and never run out of energy, you would need 20 reactors to do so (just use the energy tank)
Note: Fighters can take-in energy fast, which means they have a high energy cost. But they're not always requesting energy, so they have an average energy per second. It's like the MK7, they take energy in short bursts every once in awhile. However these short bursts are bigger than the CM's 50 max energy, but you can just use an energy tank, that spare max energy will keep up with that short burst.

Grabber:
Does not require energy.

MK7:
5 reactors can power 1 MK7 with some excess energy (5:1)
9 reactors can power 2 MK7s with slight excess energy (9:2)
AMP Gem: 6 reactors can power 1 MK7 with slight excess energy (6:1)

And that's it. Builder, I hope you make good use out of this. If you do, you're welcome.
I make CRPL because coding is my newest hobby

GoodMorning

Ports have unlimited throughput, one unit or ship can only request 30eps due to the engine. So a port can give 3000 eps if the reserve is large enough, but it will take at least ten requesters to ask for this much.

Lathes have variable energy drain, use dependent.

An active shield drains 15eps. This is independent of the number of shield modules on the ship, which contribute to the strength.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

rer24

So, 10 reactors for a constant shield then? I suppose same idea as with fighters: cheaper to use storage than raw reactor power.
We shall end the infinite cycle of madness!