Invalid Thumbnail Size 543970 Bug

Started by freshbananashea, May 28, 2017, 05:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freshbananashea

Invalid Thumbnail Size 543970 Bug

What does this mean and how can I get it fixed?

GoodMorning

PF takes a screenshot to use as the map thumbnail image. However, if something has happened to the image...

Re-finalising the map will cause the image to be regenerated.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

freshbananashea

I tried to re-finalize. It didn't work. Is there an alternative?

GoodMorning

I lack the knowledge to assist further.

freshbananashea

I took off the vision of the unbuilt struc latice and that seemed to do the trick when I re-finalized it... Funny how that can be glitchy.

Sorrontis

Turn the vision back on for unbuiilt struc lattice. And then, try again. Do you get the error once more? If so, please follow the steps found here:

http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=21384.0

How to get the game log: http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=21330.0

You may have an installation issue. Karsten or Virgil will be able to help better if you follow the procedure found at the link.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

freshbananashea

Yup, the problem came back when I turned back on the unbuilt struc latice viewer.

I have the output log below. Since the problem is outside of a game I didn't bother to include a game file save.

GoodMorning

Do include a copy of the save that won't finalise. It saves a lot of time if V has to go through code.

That said, if your version is recent, the redprint is supposed to be made invisible for the occasion.

freshbananashea

The problem only occurs when I go to upload the map. Not during gameplay. Hence, no saved game file.

GoodMorning

Please, humour me. If the map -> finalize ->upload process is failing, then V can recreate it from the map.

I seem to recall that the thumbnail is generated when the "finalize" button is clicked in the map editor - though a problem with the thumbnail would not manifest until you tried to upload.

Karsten75

As requested, please provide a save file of the map that won't create the thumbnail.

This is Memorial Day weekend and Virgil may be out of pocket until Tuesday. I'm sure he'll look at it then. I'm glad that you found a workaround in the meantime.

knucracker

That number is the file size (if memory serves).  I have a limit on the max thumbnail size allowed in the database.  So my guess is that the thumbnail image being generated is going above that limit for some reason. The complexity of the image might be pushing it over the limit...

freshbananashea

Should I be reducing the over-all amount of objects in my maps? Or is it strictly a "raise the limit" problem? I tend to put a lot of objects in my maps to keep the difficulty interesting.

knucracker

I've just raised the limit from 512000 bytes to 768000 bytes. That should hopefully cover this case.  The change was on the server, so no game update is needed. Future map uploads should work and not experience this problem anymore.  If you do, then send me a PM letting me know, along with the image size (the error message you get).

As for the root cause, it all has to do with the image itself and how jpg compression works.  Lots of variation in the image will make the image have a larger size (byte size). For instance an image of static (random noise) won't compress as well as a solid white image.

freshbananashea