Custom Map #817: Entrenched. By: Dook

Started by AutoPost, July 09, 2014, 04:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #817: Entrenched

Author: Dook
Size: 200x110

Desc:
Turrets patrol the railways. Beams of creeper await any would-be trespasser. Check forums for tips. Gameplay style = grind. Don't forget to grab the CN tech. Thanks to Flabort [dormant/flip emitter]. And credit where credit is due for the Turret [pulled from pass the map #2] #CustomEnemy #Islands #Spores #Digitalis

Dook

Tips
You can start from the top left or bottom right. Top left will result in a longer game but has an easier start. Bottom right will be a faster game but you'll have to deal with the turret.

Turret Vulnerabilities - #1 is all the information you should need. The rest i consider spoilers.
Snipers will temporarily deactivate them. They can be killed by Nullifiers.
Spoiler
You can terp terrain elevation up for a Nullifier. This will keep it safe while the snipers keep a turret on lock down.
[close]
Spoiler
Use power zones to take out turrets easily.
[close]
Spoiler
Use terp to change the elevation of the railways. The Turrets will only move on level 7 terrain.
[close]

Helper

Whoa Nellie!
Having a ball with this one, but can't quite beat that lower right start.
Might have to go upper left and just suck it up.
Fun stuff.
H

mzimmer74

I really enjoyed that map.  As far as the lower right goes, it's not that bad if you keep away from the rail so you can't be attacked.  Use a Terp to get yourself some breathing room.  Use a mortar to keep the creeper from coming over the wall.  Take out the spore tower quickly and switch between a cannon on digitalis and a beam when needed on the PZ.  It's a bit tough to manage the energy, but definitely possible.
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

stdout

Awesome map. One of the only ones to earn a 10 from me.  ;D It was thrilling from the beginning to the end.

Helper

Game Loser

This was fun.  It took me multiple attempts to finally get a start in the top left - yeah I'm not great.

Spoiler
Use a nullifier on the top left most "paused" emitter.  Then bung a reactor on the PZ - it's the only way I could create enough sustained energy to move forward.  2x Beamer's should be enough until you've terp'd enough land up and nullified the lower (2nd) emitter. By now there should be enough reactors and collectors that you can move the reactor from the PZ, and replace with one beamer to cover that whole area with ease.
[close]

The rest is just a tactical and strategic walk through each part.
AMD Ryzen 1700X / 32GiB DDR4 / Zotac Mini GeForce GTX 1070

stdout

Those turrets were occupying my mind so I had to go back and complete the map again, this time destroying all the turrets and taking the entire map first.

speef

It was a fun start (I don't remember the last map that made me restart so many times). No surprises after that, though, except for figuring out the turrets.

Spoiler
The turrets might be more of a challenge if they started at height 10, or if they could shoot uphill.
[close]

Dook

Thanks for the comments. Glad people are enjoying it.

@speef: Thanks for the feedback. I'll attempt to make the next map more difficult as the player progresses threw it. Though i'll still aim for a difficulty level lower than a moving creeper wall of death.

Alter Old

Very unusual map. I think that found the fastest way of the decision, and it was extremely interesting. Thanks.
As usual, forgive for my English.

ljw1004

It felt like it would be just too easy to use a terp to block the turret paths, and to hide my nullifiers from attack, so I stuck to getting the timing right to take out the turrets with PZ nullifiers to extend their range.

toolforger

Started on a unthreatened mini island, marched through a single island, took out the inhibitor, done.
I needed to figure out how to keep the turret distractions alive and how to best protect the nullifiers against splash, so it still took me about an hour, but it should be possibly to do this fairly quickly.