Custom Map #753: [DA] P4 Facility Assault. By: Dark Ambition

Started by AutoPost, April 27, 2017, 02:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #753: [DA] P4 Facility Assault

Author: Dark Ambition
Size: 300x300

Desc:
The Crew move onto the base that Daveth mentioned in the last map. Sorry I procrastinated so long on this. Making maps in this game is painfull for me now, but i'm not giving up on this damn story! (Beats chest all manly like) Ships- General Warfield, Keeper Decagon, Dark Ambition PRPL- Stickman

Dark Ambition

Sorry if this map sucks.

But further edits is giving me PTSD.

Also, i'm trying out a thing where after the ten minute mark, a small conversation between the people is shown. Is this a bad idea?

tornado

Quote from: Dark Ambition on April 27, 2017, 02:06:29 AM
Also, i'm trying out a thing where after the ten minute mark, a small conversation between the people is shown. Is this a bad idea?

I don't know, im not lasting longer than five.
not saying that is a bad thing.
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

stdout

This was one of the most enjoyable maps I've played in some time. The timed flip emitters behind enemy lines were really fun to try to rush and flip before they went off. Plenty of action for both omnis and ships, and lots of opportunities for decisions. High replayability. 10/10 from me.

Johnny Haywire

I really liked the gameplay in this map. IMO, the dialogue at the end was a little excessive to have all at one point but it's part of a story I suppose so that's cool. I probably would have preferred to have it spaced out a little throughout the map but it gave me a chuckle at times, which is more than most dialogues do.

I didn't find this difficult to survive at all, but then again all you have to do is find a secure place to build ships and you're good to go.
Spoiler
I sent omnis to both sides of land right away, then cut a fairly large hole in the land to build ships in. If you do this there's no way you can lose, even if your skills are extremely poor. You might not win, but you won't lose.  ;)
[close]

As I don't advance quickly (usually) I found progress difficult, but also steady at the same time. Great planning on the map! Thanks for making & sharing it!  ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

GoodMorning

I didn't rush the map, but Omni assaults and Daveth could take each Emitter individually (the choice being location dependent).

DA, I don't know if you meant this to be the start, but it became easy after one key action:
Spoiler
Starting lathe -> nearest Emitter = high-quality shield.
[close]

Also, the dialogue was enjoyable. Thanks for putting in the effort to write it. I do think that breaking up the final conversation would have worked well.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Dark Ambition

I really should start talking more, i'm way too quiet.

Quote from: tornado on April 27, 2017, 01:08:14 PM
Quote from: Dark Ambition on April 27, 2017, 02:06:29 AM

I don't know, im not lasting longer than five.
not saying that is a bad thing.

I hope you've been able to beat it by now, but if not, here is the way I did it:

- Take Adalar and wait ~3 seconds for him to build the energy mine a bit. Don't wait for him to finish it.
- Move him to the nearest flippable emitter. If you did it right, Adalar should finish building the energy mine right before he gets to the emitter.
- During this at the start, you can actually have Warfield build ships, he has enough energy to do it himself.
- You don't need Warfield if you did it right, but you can still move him up right next to Adalar, as close as possible preferably, to absorb some particles.

Once you flip that emitter, the rest of the map is a breeze.

Quote from: stdout on May 03, 2017, 11:41:08 AM
This was one of the most enjoyable maps I've played in some time. The timed flip emitters behind enemy lines were really fun to try to rush and flip before they went off. Plenty of action for both omnis and ships, and lots of opportunities for decisions. High replayability. 10/10 from me.

It's actually possible to get those emitters before they activate? I just set them on a timer so you wouldn't get overran even moreso at the start XD

Thanks for the kind words, I didn't actually think very highly of this map myself. Other than the dialogue, I was happy with that, but I thought the gameplay was too boring/hard/both...

Quote from: Johnny Haywire on May 13, 2017, 10:39:43 AM
I really liked the gameplay in this map. IMO, the dialogue at the end was a little excessive to have all at one point but it's part of a story I suppose so that's cool. I probably would have preferred to have it spaced out a little throughout the map but it gave me a chuckle at times, which is more than most dialogues do.

Be glad I toned it down :P That last dialogue was far bigger and completely different in the first version, but still gave the same message that Daveth is staying behind, and Corvo and Volya aren't allowed to date on the job. Honestly, I think I could have taken out Warfields little gamepad joke completely, I thought it unnecessary and overdone. I didn't want to space that out because I'm sure having multiple pauses in the gameplay would be pretty annoying, especially if you were getting into it. I'm being more open about that though, and i'll risk that hit later on. I'm glad to hear it made you chuckle a bit :) I like comedy a lot and I wanted to put some of that in my maps, though i'm still trying to keep a serious tone to it as well.

I didn't find this difficult to survive at all, but then again all you have to do is find a secure place to build ships and you're good to go.
Spoiler
I sent omnis to both sides of land right away, then cut a fairly large hole in the land to build ships in. If you do this there's no way you can lose, even if your skills are extremely poor. You might not win, but you won't lose.  ;)
[close]

As I don't advance quickly (usually) I found progress difficult, but also steady at the same time. Great planning on the map! Thanks for making & sharing it!  ;D

Would've been a lot harder to hide in the land in the first version :P The particles were intended to go through mired land, though it made it too difficult IMO.

I'm also a slow mover when it comes to progressing in the map, I may have accidently made that a part of the map itself :/

Quote from: GoodMorning on May 27, 2017, 11:35:43 PM
I didn't rush the map, but Omni assaults and Daveth could take each Emitter individually (the choice being location dependent).

Daveth could totally take them on by himself.

And I quote from map 3.5...
"[Ceo] Adalar Verrater - How did you survive for three days with just yourself and two omni's?

[Merc] Ryan Daveth - Because i'm awesome, that's how."

DA, I don't know if you meant this to be the start, but it became easy after one key action:
Spoiler
Starting lathe -> nearest Emitter = high-quality shield.
[close]

Also, the dialogue was enjoyable. Thanks for putting in the effort to write it. I do think that breaking up the final conversation would have worked well.

As I said to Tornado above, that's how I did it :P

Thanks :) I didn't know at the start of this series whether or not to focus on story or gameplay, but I decided that story is what I would focus on. I'm trying not to skimp out on the gameplay though, I know a lot of people prefer that more than the story :P

GoodMorning

Regarding dialogue timing, I appreciate the staggered conversations. I don't feel that they interrupt gameplay, rather are a good way of distributing story so it's not a wall of text at the end.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.