Custom Map #4320: Sporadic. By: st00pid_n00b

Started by AutoPost, March 22, 2017, 03:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #4320: Sporadic

Author: st00pid_n00b
Size: 128x72

Desc:
Lots of spores with limited beams. Can be frustating if you take a bad start! In case you need it, some tips are included in the opening dialog.

darkcloud

Interesting take! Love spores, and its the first map i had to use shield :)

st00pid_n00b

Thank you! For a similar idea check also map #4159 (not mine).

Johnny Haywire

I dislike shields and decided to go with an army of blasters. They serve two roles: 1) To protect the collectors (you'll lose a collector on a direct hit, but that's all you'll lose). And 2) they also serve as targets for the spores to hit, and since they're light payload spores they'll just bounce right off.

You can essentially "turtle up" without shields and without losing anything except collectors.

Interesting map, dude - Thinking of playing this again using an entirely different strategy, just for kicks. Thanks for the map!
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

st00pid_n00b

Thanks for the feedback  :)

I hadn't thought of using blasters as spore baits, I'll have to give it a try. I used shields mostly to protect the reactor farm, did you do it without reactors?

Let me know if you come up with another strategy, it'll be interesting! I was a bit reluctant to include tips because it's better to let players be creative rather than force them towards the creator's intended path, but on the other hand I didn't want them to give up in frustration.

D0m0nik

Yeah nicely executed map.

Micro management approach:
Spoiler

Land on the first step and collect the first beams pick up with 2 collectors. Build one beam, expand collectors, one ore mine and one sprayer set to always active next to your CN. Then build the other 2 beams. You then have enough beams to not need shields however you will need to pause a lot and switch the three beams around on the PZ. Ideally you want one beam to be passing directly over the PZ as the beam on the PZ runs out of power. You can then switch them very quickly. Reactors can then be built to help climb the hill.
[close]

Johnny Haywire

Yeah, I did the entire map without reactors. I had almost 2 cannons for every collector, and had the entire bottom full of collectors. Usually I'd have to replace 1-3 collectors per spore round but that was it.

I really like maps like this, and Dom made a really great point on another map that I think applies to this one - the more approaches a map allows, while still providing a challenge, the better the map is. Some maps can only be won by turtling and then slogging on for 2 hours. Others have to be won in a few minutes or all hope is lost. Maps like this allow a player to use whatever effective tactics he/she wishes. So kudos on a great map!  ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

st00pid_n00b

@D0m0nik: Damn, nice score! Congrats for 'breaking' the map :)

@Johnny Haywire: Good point! I personally like a balance between having options and not being overwhelmed not knowing where to start (especially on big maps). Thanks again for the appreciation!