Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #4319: Spire

Author: martinuzz
Size: 255x255

Desc:
I hope you like spores

martinuzz

This took a bit longer than usual. Mostly spent playtesting, dying horribly about 30 minutes in, and going back to the editor to tweak stuff. As it is now, it took me two tries to beat it. I'd be really impressed if someone manages to do it under an hour.

Hints:
Spoiler

- keep pushing onwards to claim the power and beam artefacts. If you are too slow, spores will overwhelm you.
- There are 4 early aether pickups accessible, the other four become available later.
- use multiple ore guppies to clear the blocked paths faster, and don't clog the pipeline by not using enough AC.
- strafers can help clear the walled off path to the berthas by causing a spill from the digitalis highways.
- You want to get rid of the two emitters next to your base ASAP. Not only will they provide good beam spots, but the longer they keep emitting, the longer it will take to clear the first islands, and the more spillover you will have to deal with (they're pretty strong emitters). Kill them too soon though, and not all the walls might be cleared off the islands, limiting build space.
- packet speed is essential
[close]

D0m0nik

QuoteI'd be really impressed if someone manages to do it under an hour

Challenge accepted!  :D

Won't have time to play this for a few hours, work to do first but it looks great. You've done a good job with the air exclusion, might still be a few cheeky options to speed things up but you've certainly closed a few doors on this one. Can't wait to give a blast!

martinuzz

Technically, there's 4 spots on the central island where you can land your CN. But you'd have a severe shortage of beams and power there. I don't think someone could make that work, but you never know.

D0m0nik

I agree not useful at the start, could be usefull later on though once some upgrades have been put through the forge.

Hatsee

Impossible to beat without letting the creeper eat all the wall pieces?  I can't see any way to get this final bertha. 

D0m0nik

10 out of 10 once again, I loved it so much I considered buying the game again just so I could post a second score of 10!

Hatsee has a fair point though, if you manage the digitalis too well you can get to the end of the map and have pick ups that you cannot collect, would be worth making them collectable from a PZ one the main land.

Also

Spoiler
Do you know that once you build a siphon you can destory the packet underneath, no need to drain it to get rid of it!
[close]

martinuzz

Quote from: D0m0nik on March 21, 2017, 06:37:33 PM
Spoiler
Do you know that once you build a siphon you can destory the packet underneath, no need to drain it to get rid of it!
[close]
Hah. Obviously, I didn't. Good info

Quote from: Hatsee on March 21, 2017, 06:14:50 PM
Impossible to beat without letting the creeper eat all the wall pieces?  I can't see any way to get this final bertha.
Intentionally so, but you can speed it up considerably by hitting the digitalis highways next to it with strafers, so they spill their contents. Got to time it right though, do it too soon, and not enough creeper will have accumulated on the digitalis to remove the walls.

EDIT: 24 minutes. Holy cow, count me impressed. But yeah, being able to insta-pop those ore packs would shave off a lot of time.

Johnny Haywire

Wow Dom. And Wow martinuzz... amazing time there, and yet another amazing map! Most players are probably going to get frustrated and quit this one, just so yanno. You should post a *Warning!* before people download your maps. Your maps are a straight-up legit test of skills. I like that it's not trickery or some kinda puzzle exactly. It's just energy and weapon management.

I tried turtling up, keeping only the lower left base, and you *can* survive for one hour, assuming you cycle guppies like crazy to the totems to keep them going. But that's annoying so I started over. Once I had the left side, I let it run & didn't save or pause it after that.

I knew the trick about killing the ore deposits but I just couldn't bring myself to do it in most cases. I wanted to save all the leeetle ore babies! So cuuuuuute!  ;D

I thought I was doing well to have the left side down at the 24-minute mark, but wow apparently not. Dom is as amazing at playing these maps as the maps themselves are! I can't bring myself to think that hard. Or maybe my brain would just explode if I tried.

Thanks for another outstanding map!  Four thumbs up! ;D ;D ;D ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

D0m0nik

Ha thanks Johnny. This is exactly my kind of map, I love big guppy battles with scope to do a lot of things at once, I don't even notice I'm pausing on these until I post a score and realise 3 hours have passed!

My tip for the start of this one is
Spoiler
Destroy some ore packets  ;)
There are 7 PZs that you have access to early on (as long as you send a guppy to the nulifier and destroy the packet), move the CN quickly and take out the two closest emitters. Spores don't come for a while so use them for reactors, I also put two guppies on them as the key is flying out and securing the top corner and then taking the islands around the map and joining them up building beams as you go. This can be done as quickly as the little wall things disolve but you can get a head start on the top left and bottom right, just don't don't clean up all the creep until the walls are gone. I didn't bother attacking from the top right until I had three PZ bertha and then it was routine.
[close]

I think a lot of people

martinuzz

Did you try give it a run with not destroying, but mining the ore packs, D0m, to get a feel for the intended difficulty curve?

Also, sneak preview. Expect me, toying with AC emitters. Digitalis powered AC shield.
Spoiler

See that nice light blue star? It be getting smaller hahaa!
[close]

D0m0nik

QuoteDid you try give it a run with not destroying, but mining the ore packs, D0m, to get a feel for the intended difficulty curve?

I am sorry but I haven't, I struggle to play a map a long way when I know a quick way, I find it very frustrating and I think watching the ore packs very slowly empty would be send me insane! I thoroughly enjoyed the map the way I played it.

I think I mentioned before but for me (and a good few others here) a map is a lot more enjoyable if there are ways you can get ahead, if every door is shut and you are dictated to play in a certain way or logical order it can become tedious as you just go through the motions.

GoodMorning

I clearly am missing something...

What is the intended method of removing the Ore? I assume it is not to place a Guppy base set to Ore on the far side, and drain it through that...

I underuse AC, and so am generally happy to pop an inconvenient Ore pack. An Aether pickup is a different story (up to a point).

I agree with D0m0nik, knowing there is a better way (within skill level) makes it hard to play otherwise. However, as might be guessed, I am far from good enough to execute some of those strategies.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

martinuzz

Quote from: GoodMorning on March 23, 2017, 06:05:37 PM
What is the intended method of removing the Ore? I assume it is not to place a Guppy base set to Ore on the far side, and drain it through that...
Indeed. If you take care not to place the ore return guppies on the spot that will hold a relay later, and don't destroy them but leave them in place, they will assist with the emptying of packets further down the line once the relay is up. This will prevent losing time from siphons having to wait for the guppies to return.