Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #4316: Gel Maintenance

Author: martinuzz
Size: 129x129

Desc:
Don't wait too long!

martinuzz

I am really pleased with how this map turned out. It starts with some slow puzzling, to build up intensity quite nicely along with your ability to develop, with lots of stuff going on across the map.
After quite a few losses, and some tweaking of timers and intensities (three times 1000 every 0.03 seconds on such a small map was just a bit over the top haha, although it made for a glorious end to my base when the waves came crashing over my walls), I think it will now offer a serious challenge. Turtling for too long is ill-advised. Have fun!

GoodMorning

A nice map.

I turtled for precisely the right amount of time, with the lesser bases on the main island falling with one Spore in each sitting at 98%.

I enjoy a good tech-collection map.

A light note on the initial tech-grab:
Spoiler

There's no need to terp to the left once you have the relays from the lower-right, and (if feeling like micromanaging) you can borrow from the CW1 book to "bridge" with the terp. It's probably most effective to terp twice, bridge once.
[close]

Good progression, I don't know how the Thor would change the game.

Mountains of Ore, plenty of energy (save, perhaps, for the stage taking the SW corner), and a substantial Aether bonus at every stage it is useful.

I'm guessing that the speedrunners will get single-digit times.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

martinuzz

The Thor is a practical joke. I don't think it's possible to turtle long enough to finish building it (except after killing the two side bases, at which point you won't need it).
I am curious however if people are managing to grab the Bertha's before killing the two side bases. I think it should be tough, but possible to grab them.

GoodMorning

Spoiler

It's trivial to do. Strafers to reduce the Creeper level to clear the side platform, Guppies, a Nullifier, and a PZ Relay. A Bomber or Sprayer could make it ever faster.
[close]

Building them is another question.

At 12500 cost, with fully upgraded build speed and enough power, the Thor builds in around 14 minutes. So it can't help with speedruns, but could potentially take out some of the Spore waves.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

D0m0nik

Very nice map, good use of tech limits and pick ups. The hard to reach nulifier made life very interesting as did the lack of early PZs. Had to think a bit which is always welcome! The energy and AC was very generous to the point of being almost limitless. I guess the aim was to concentrate on tactics and the puzzle rather than worry about resources?

Single digit score will be tricky on this one due to the amount of time it takes to get some of the early pick ups, defo possible though as mentioned above.

martinuzz

Quote from: D0m0nik on March 19, 2017, 10:25:20 AM
Very nice map, good use of tech limits and pick ups. The hard to reach nulifier made life very interesting as did the lack of early PZs. Had to think a bit which is always welcome! The energy and AC was very generous to the point of being almost limitless. I guess the aim was to concentrate on tactics and the puzzle rather than worry about resources?

Single digit score will be tricky on this one due to the amount of time it takes to get some of the early pick ups, defo possible though as mentioned above.

Haha by the time I got to attacking the central base I had run out of ore pickups, and started using the ore mines. Must be said that I set every last sprayer I built to always on, and started building them from the moment I could build them, and never turned them off. To be quite honest though I likely nerfed the emitters (mostly, the initial timers on the 0.03 second emitters)  a bit too much, because I'm a noob and they were killing me.

martinuzz

Don't know if a player named bABA roams these forums. Noticed you got a 1:17h victory on the map, which means you likely got to see the full force of all emitters and spore towers. Curious to hear your experience.

Johnny Haywire

I'm not bABA, but occasionally I do like to take my time and stroll around a bit. I suppose I kinda did what everyone else did, except that I just took one side at a time and then went for the stuff in the middle. I noticed the timers and really didn't feel pushed for time at any point in the map, especially after taking one of the big clusters in the middle.

It's always cool to see 50+ spores launch and then get zapped away by PZ beams. PZ beams are prolly the 2nd coolest PZ weps (next to PZ berthas).

The map was really fun, although I'm not as much a fan of the nimble dancing and prancing that's required to pick up all the stuff. But it's ok b/c I ate two huge BBQ sandwiches so I didn't mind so much.  ;)

Thanks for the very cool map!  ;D  ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?