Custom Map #4313: Tidal Wave. By: martinuzz

Started by AutoPost, March 17, 2017, 11:10:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #4313: Tidal Wave

Author: martinuzz
Size: 129x255

Desc:
The weather is warm and pleasant, with a slight breeze. Time to hit the beach!

martinuzz

Fooling around with wind and tech artefacts a bit here. Enjoy!

Stave

Very satisfying challenge map. I always like when a Thor isn't an instant-win.

Spoiler
If you drop two CC's at the beginning and a collector, you can grab the Thor immediately.  ;D
[close]

MasterBata

Wow, proper challenge map.
Don't let the low rating fool you, it is probably the result of a few frustrations :)

D0m0nik

I wasn't as keen on this one, bit of a slog towards the end. Not a big fan of the hard kill runners as you can take out the digitalis very easily with a few mortors+ range upgrade but then taking out the runners just slows everything down.

I would also have some spores further up the field firing early as it was easy to get ahead of the build times, by half way up I destroyed all of the beams as I didn't need them.

Tech upgrades and wind are both good but the wind could have been a bit stronger, once range and fire rate were upgraded I forgot there even was wind.

Still a very impressive and challenging map with coll terrain. Sorry for the negatives, just trying to be constructive  :D

martinuzz

No worries mate, I half expected some criticism, as this is a bit of a niche map for those who like longer battles.

Currently working on a small, tactical puzzle map again (129x129). Beating it is proving hard though. Got killed twice about 40 minutes in. Which is why I might be unable to keep up my 1 map a day schedule this time.

Sneak preview
Spoiler
[close]

stdout

Quote from: D0m0nik on March 18, 2017, 04:23:03 PMI would also have some spores further up the field firing early as it was easy to get ahead of the build times, by half way up I destroyed all of the beams as I didn't need them.

Am I missing something? There are 21 spore spawners at the very top of the map, each throwing 25 spores per spawner.

How did you beat this map so fast? I played and it took me way over an hour and I can't imagine getting it done much faster.

D0m0nik

Quote from: stdout on March 19, 2017, 01:40:22 PM

Am I missing something? There are 21 spore spawners at the very top of the map, each throwing 25 spores per spawner.

How did you beat this map so fast? I played and it took me way over an hour and I can't imagine getting it done much faster.

Yeah if you are quick most of the spores never fire. I have attached my save from 2 mins to give you an idea of my starting position.

Spoiler
As usual very fast early building thanks to the energy packets. Used as much of the free energy to create power. You should be able to get to the first line of spores in a few minutes, certainly take the first two hills and get the PZ from the emitter and runner nest.

I should have picked up the top 2 berthas Tech as this would have made things even faster (Thor was not needed and never finished building). At about 3 mins I replaced two PZ reactors with the berthas collected at the first hill.

PZ berthas make this map pretty easy, for most of the map I had 2, you could start with 4. Also many emitters can be taken out with PZ nullifiers.

The tricky emitters in digitalis on the sides can be rendered useless with a few mortors.

I did not use the AOO but this could be used with a PZ relay and a well timed bertha shot to help at the end

[close]

stdout