Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #4262: what now

Author: Bitje
Size: 168x133

Desc:
another one :)

Johnny Haywire

This is a pretty cool map. The one thing I'd change is sorting out the mess of ore mines in the upper left so that it's easier to see where to build them.

Thanks for the map!  8)
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

Loren Pechtel

The ore mines are a mess, lay them out sanely.

Otherwise, interesting idea with the central divider.  Once I saw how to do it I came back and got the second best time.

Karsten75

If I'm going to play for top times, I'm going to have to pause more, but I hate that and I seem to do fine anyway.

I thought the "messy" ore field was kind of funny, actually.

Not sure I've exactly narrowed down my strategy to the optimal yet, but I'm happy with my time.

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: Karsten75 on February 21, 2017, 09:50:31 AM
If I'm going to play for top times, I'm going to have to pause more, but I hate that and I seem to do fine anyway.

I thought the "messy" ore field was kind of funny, actually.

Not sure I've exactly narrowed down my strategy to the optimal yet, but I'm happy with my time.

I don't go for top times but sometimes when I see a much better option I do a map a second time.

The first time around I didn't realize there was no connection between the sides and prepared defenses for the oncoming creeper wall.

The second time the only defenses on the right were beams, I took much more territory at the start.

Karsten75

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on February 21, 2017, 02:41:21 PM

The second time the only defenses on the right were beams, I took much more territory at the start.

Hmm... the thing slows me down most is getting to the Totems - and for that I (have( to build some weapons on the left side. 

Having said that, I just got an idea... I might give it another shot.

D0m0nik

Yep pausing is essential for top times, I mainly use it in the first two minutes. For Alter/EA times the N key may be needed as well.

Spoiler
On this map by two minutes you can have nullifiers building on top left and bottom left emitters plus 7 nullifiers down for the left spores in the centre. You can also have the entire left side covered in collectors and the forge built. From that point on you can kind of relax a bit with the occasional pause but the first two mins takes about 10 pauses and 5 to 10 mins.
[close]

The collector is the most powerful unit in the game, a fast early carpet is essential for every map.

Karsten75

Quote from: D0m0nik on February 24, 2017, 04:10:11 AM
Yep pausing is essential for top times, I mainly use it in the first two minutes. For Alter/EA times the N key may be needed as well.
Nice time, I may try it again sometime.

On a side note, you have noticed that Alter Old and EA only seem to play on maps with inhibitors? (Eg quick wins or no wins?) :)

Edit: Nice layout, BTW. ;)

D0m0nik

QuoteNice layout, BTW

I showed discipline, I thought you would appreciate that! My original run was a little more chaotic!

QuoteOn a side note, you have noticed that Alter Old and EA only seem to play on maps with inhibitors? (Eg quick wins or no wins?) :)

Just guessing but my take on this is:
Alter is very specific and I think he only really plays maps that can be clinically picked apart and dissected, he is unlikely to play a big long grudge map for example. It is also why probably why we have not seen him much on PF, too many random elements. I think he has an incredibly logical mind. EA is a bit more wide ranging in what he plays and I think is the best all round player. I suspect though that to get the times that they post they must have to put a significant amount of time into each map hence they choose to be selective. I suspect, given the time, they could both post crazy times to every map  on here.

It would be interesting to know how many maps they do play though and if they always post scores.

Karsten75

I did go back to try one more time. My results were disappointing.

My basic layout that approximated yours was about 2 minutes slower... No idea how I mess that up.

Then I miscalculated taking out the first island emitter by about 4 seconds and had forgotten to save. My overall time was then slower by about 30 seconds on my best and still 3+ minutes slower than you.

Alter Old

Karsten75
D0m0nik

OK ; ).

wait...
As usual, forgive for my English.

D0m0nik

Does this mean Alter is about to post a 5 min time?!  :D

Johnny Haywire

Man, he doesn't say much does he? Just pops in, winks, and then does something brilliant. Hmph. I ran his winky-smile through Google translate and it came back as:

"Your early score of nice number is doomed like a 1-legged goat in the river of yellow death piranhas every Tuesday."

Of course, Google translate has been known to make mistakes. From time to time.  ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

D0m0nik

Haha Johnny, almost word for word how I translated it myself!

Nice work as usual Alter! Fancy sharing some tips with us amateurs? How do you approach maps, how many times do you play one to get this score, do you use N key etc? Be interesting to know your stategy/ top tips  :D

Alter Old

Well,

Quote from: D0m0nik on March 01, 2017, 03:45:21 PM
Does this mean Alter is about to post a 5 min time?!  :D
I think, it's unreal. My first time about 7:30. After 2 hours optimizing turned out 6:56.8. Maybe 15-20 seconds will turn out to win, but I certainly won't do it : ).

Quote from: D0m0nik on February 24, 2017, 10:22:06 AM

QuoteOn a side note, you have noticed that Alter Old and EA only seem to play on maps with inhibitors? (Eg quick wins or no wins?) :)

... Alter is very specific ... EA is a bit more wide ranging ...

This is a game, not a job, isn't it? Naturally, I decide what I like. Usually this card involving unusual tactical decision, or calibrated, or specific strategy. And here's the map, for example, was passed by using standard techniques. It is not boring, just to see how it addressed. I think ea3401 is guided by the same considerations.

Karsten75, D0m0nik - thanks for the kind words.
Johnny Haywire - thanks for the good humor.
As usual, forgive for my English.