Custom Map #628: map 83 SHIP TEST. By: yum234

Started by AutoPost, February 11, 2017, 01:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #628: map 83 SHIP TEST

Author: yum234
Size: 448x252

Desc:
Testing of on-line ships of various designers: GoodMorning, Sir Rail, Sorrontis, Zakhep, Incoherent, Testpilot24, slSpencer, !Crronos!, Particles (Sorrontis) and D.Ambition. Almost all ships are pre-builded. #GoodLuck

GoodMorning

First attempt: insufficient power to run even one of the various shields. Time to practice rushing skills...

After finishing:
Spoiler

With the right timing and without the power drain of the left, Omnis can get a foothold on the right if a few lathe-heavy and pre-powered ships are used correctly. Omni reactors is required. I had flaws in my timing, but it is probably possible to take the entire right with Omnis, and come back for the left at the end.

Playing in the seemingly intended manner, I find a huge deficit, regular attacks (which are largely irrelevant). With the starting force, I was able to take all of the Emitters rebuilding the left body of Struc, as well as the first line of Emitters, mire-spawners and ship-spawners (With the mines from the Emitters falling under my control). Thereafter, I had to wait an irritatingly long time for the fleet to recharge and for a few amp gems to turn up (Omnis, mine dischargers). I was surprised that the Omnis could get a foothold on the main landmass. HQ-dropping took out the Tortoise rammer (I was surprised by how effective it was at ramming, in point of fact).
[close]

One Discharger in the starting fleet was unhelpful. Also, the lag in the final assault became a factor.

Overall, interesting. It certainly forced me to use the (very) unfamiliar tactic of multi-rushing. However, I don't think I had a use for more than half of the fleet. If it didn't have three lathes or an MK7, it was left at the left and forgotten. (One or two port-ships were drained as single-use batteries in the initial assault).

Does anyone else find the Tortoise and the Hvy Miner to be the main workhorses here, with MK7s as defenders?
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Johnny Haywire

Wow, I'm surprised this map didn't trigger more discussion. This is a TOUGH map but definitely do-able.

1) The cool, big ships as well as a good bit of variety.
2) Lots of Omnis. At least, if you can take the mainland
Spoiler
This is actually pretty easy - even easier if you use a bit of rock-cutting to isolate strategic points. Keep a self-powered omni near each mine/gun and they'll be yours for good.
[close]

Dislikes:
1) Not enough dischargers.
2) WAY too many weird, pretty useless ships.
2a) Too much going on right at the start. I hate micromanaging, so I just led a single force to the top, captured it first then attacked the emitters and stuff in the middle.

Like & dislike
1) I thought the lack of initial power was kinda bad, but it forces you to make do with what you have... and as the saying goes, "What you do, do quickly!" I liked that there were a couple ships that had their own reactors though - that leads you to employ them in creative ways.

Really like
1) I really liked how the game doesn't get easier after you take down a few emitters and gain some ground. When the big enemy ships come, they wreak havoc so you need to keep growing your power. Quickly.
Spoiler
I found omni cannons to be really helpful. For minimal effort, they shoot ships which makes the ships usually turn back.
[close]

My strategy involved minimal pausing because I hate that, but I still had to pause several times especially in the beginning. And I saved the game 10 times, which is by far a ridiculous record for me. A great challenge!

Thanks for an epic map, Yum!  ;D ;D
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?