Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #539: map 66 HELPFUL OMNI

Author: yum234
Size: 384x216

Desc:
Useful omni and crazy combination of ships of various designers. #GoodLuck

chwooly

Omni's were basically useless without micromanagement, Which is great for those that like to have to micro manage but for everyone else it just sucks.

I think I have so far built in excess of 60 Omnis just to get 1 of the ships on the right side, Since I need MK7's to get the bottom left cleared. Otherwise everything I build gets destroyed. The random destruction of my HQ no matter where I hide is frustrating. There isn't enough time to get rid of the emmitter that is surrounded by friendly's and then build up the mine and build up a strong enough force to hold in before you are inundated with particle hell. So they are useless except to overwhelm you with destroyed ship messages and explosions.

I know, My opinion doesn't count because I am not 1 of the 10 or so that like to micromanage and are willing to spend 4 hours to get a 5 mins time. But maybe someday those that make low scoring maps will understand that most people don't post on boards and just give 1's for maps that are only for an elite few.

Who am I kidding, Someone will post here and tell me this is rude or not constructive.

Cheers
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

svartmes

Quote from: chwooly on January 15, 2017, 04:34:34 AM
But maybe someday those that make low scoring maps will understand that most people don't post on boards and just give 1's for maps that are only for an elite few.

Wow what a bunch of nonsense. Entitled much? How about we let mapmakers make the maps they want to make and you can go play any of the hundreds of easier maps out there. No one is forcing you to play maps that are obviously above your skill level.

chwooly

Quote from: svartmes on January 15, 2017, 07:36:07 AM
But maybe someday those that make low scoring maps will understand that most people don't post on boards and just give 1's for maps that are only for an elite few.

Wow what a bunch of nonsense. Entitled much? How about we let mapmakers make the maps they want to make and you can go play any of the hundreds of easier maps out there. No one is forcing you to play maps that are obviously above your skill level.

Thanks for proving me correct.   8)
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Exodus Legate

Speaking as someone who is most certainly not in the elite and got nowhere with this mission, svartmes is quite right. Play what you want to, make what you want to, but don't try to control other people who are doing that.

yum-forum

So many rates "1"...  :(
Map more logical than hard (screenshots in attachment).
At the begining of game particles can follow HQ to safety zones !  :)
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

stdout

Fun map that I'm still working through, but I do find the random destruction of my ships to be very frustrating. I prefer an enemy that I can see and plan for. Whatever particle you made that zips around destroying things really detracted from the game. I'd rather not see that mechanic in your future games. But I will complete every yum234 map you make and this one will be completed as well.  ;D

yum-forum

Quote from: stdout on January 15, 2017, 04:36:07 PM
Fun map that I'm still working through, but I do find the random destruction of my ships to be very frustrating. I prefer an enemy that I can see and plan for. Whatever particle you made that zips around destroying things really detracted from the game. I'd rather not see that mechanic in your future games. But I will complete every yum234 map you make and this one will be completed as well.  ;D

Thank You for comment!  :)

What means "random destruction of my ships"? No PRPL and no invisible enemy/particles in any my games!
You are talking about quick particles when You destroy emitters?
It is not special effect but when I played this map I noticed that when I destroy emitter at that time spontaneously was created portion of super quick particles... First time in my experience! Maybe V can explain why...
last

yum-forum

WOW! I checked in editor this map and found that I made mistake: for some emitters instead of "max distance=100" (as I planned) was written "max speed=100"...  :-[
last

stdout

D0m0nik

I know, My opinion doesn't count because I am not 1 of the 10 or so that like to micromanage and are willing to spend 4 hours to get a 5 mins time. But maybe someday those that make low scoring maps will understand that most people don't post on boards and just give 1's for maps that are only for an elite few.

If all map makers concentrate on making maps that are easy enough to be complete by everybody how will anyone ever improve? And if you were to improve where would the enjoyment be in a game where you are never challenged?

Once you do get to a point where every map is easy to beat then your only challenge is in setting very fast scores and yes this does involve micromanagement and pausing/reloading. I can take an hour over a 5 min score but it is the only way to make 95% of maps fun and interesting for me. Nothing wrong with that, play the maps you enjoy and skip the ones you don't. Applaud everyone who attempts to make a map regardless of your enjoyment of the map, at least they tried.

I do wish you would make some maps, it would be great to see what you come up with and we would all offer you a lot of support if you needed it.

stdout

Quote from: D0m0nik on January 16, 2017, 06:13:27 AMIf all map makers concentrate on making maps that are easy enough to be complete by everybody how will anyone ever improve?

This is such an important point!

During the alpha and beta test, there was a limit to how far we could take our play testing. Without a very large community of map makers making maps for the games, the players aren't forced to explore new strategies to win.

In this very map, for example, I was stumped at the end. Every time my ships approached that corner, their aircraft carriers would send waves of little ships to come destroy anything that got near. I finally figured it out that
Spoiler
the blue lasers actually remove the ammo from those little ships!
[close]
I love maps that force me to discover new techniques.

RrR

Without the delay on the emitter in the SE corner, the map is (near) impossible. That emitter is difficult to approach and exploding blue ships send ultra high energy particles clusters all over the map. Unfortunately, no delay on the version of pf I am using...

chwooly

Quote from: D0m0nik on January 16, 2017, 06:13:27 AM

I do wish you would make some maps, it would be great to see what you come up with and we would all offer you a lot of support if you needed it.

I will see how busy I am over the next few weeks and if I can fit in the time I will take a shot at a map or 2, I can't promise anything as my days are currently 12 to 14 hours long with little time to invest in other activities. Maybe that is why I look for simpler maps
― Robert A. Heinlein

GoodMorning

Hmm... This was difficult to solve without those screenshots.

Spoiler

I eventually built the left mine, decided the right was impossible to hold, and micromanaged Omnis to take out what pickups and mines I could. With ten Omnis, it is possible to establish a beachhead of mire on the landmass near the mine, provided that the HQ attracts the particles downward.

Thereafter, the additional pickups which become available make this a relatively straightforward map.

Aside from the particles teleporting onto the ship CMs.
[close]

Yum: The cluster on the right appears to be impossible to hold, because if one starts there, the upper Emitter sends a fountain of hard particles to the HQ. Starting on the left clearly obviates this problem, but it is far from clear that the area can be held.

It is clear that the breathing room at the start can be used to gain an advantage, but I understood that to be the advantage of removing the lower-left corner without needing MK7s.

In other words, this map needed a few more hints. Just for reference on future maps (I hope).
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.