[Suggestion] Ship Editor changes

Started by Syth, January 11, 2017, 08:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syth

I know about the keep it simple rule but these are several small (I think?) changes that are all related and making several threads seems like a bad idea so without further ado, here: That being said I would think these are pretty low priority.

1) Allow players to change brush size for the square-hull to 2x2 or 3x3. This would save a lot of time on bigger ships.
2) Have an option to allow players to armor all hull squares, and an option to un-armor all armored hull. Again to save time.
3) Have a second option for Command Module, being 4x4. This is more for allowing even-width ships that are symmetrical, but as it's bigger the energy storage could also be increased from the base 50.

Sorrontis

Quote from: Syth on January 11, 2017, 08:23:58 PM
1) Allow players to change brush size for the square-hull to 2x2 or 3x3. This would save a lot of time on bigger ships.
2) Have an option to allow players to armor all hull squares, and an option to un-armor all armored hull. Again to save time.
3) Have a second option for Command Module, being 4x4. This is more for allowing even-width ships that are symmetrical, but as it's bigger the energy storage could also be increased from the base 50.

1) Brush size have been asked for before. Likely will happen, depending on V's mood :)
2) Interesting idea.
3) Where would the center of a 4x4 CM be? The center is used for a few calculations :)
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Syth

Quote from: Sorrontis on January 11, 2017, 08:29:27 PM
3) Where would the center of a 4x4 CM be? The center is used for a few calculations :)

I uh, didn't know this was a thing. Would it be possible to have the center be 2x2? And if not, having one of the four center-most squares doesn't really matter as to which it is I would imagine.

Sorrontis

Quote from: Syth on January 11, 2017, 08:44:09 PM
Quote from: Sorrontis on January 11, 2017, 08:29:27 PM

I uh, didn't know this was a thing. Would it be possible to have the center be 2x2? And if not, having one of the four center-most squares doesn't really matter as to which it is I would imagine.

Well, V would be better at answering the technical point, but having 2 different CMs would require more work than expected I believe.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Relli

He wasn't asking for two Command Nodes, he was trying to work around the issue of a 4x4 node having no center point. Saying that either the center could be a 2x2 block in itself, or that perhaps you can pick one of the four center blocks to serve as the fake "center". Though that last I feel would throw off a few things and cause more problems than it helped.

As a quick way around the problem of symmetry, I've seen a few ships that use another 3x3 block to "balance out" the Command Node, usually a tank, guppy, or port module. And you can expand that out to a 2x2 square of 3x3 modules (difficult to follow, I know) if you had a mind to. Meaning, one Command Node and 3 other modules all in a square. It's not perfect, but it might help you for the time being.

mirror corparation

maybe make it a 2x4 command node without batteries, and add a separate 1x1 battery with 50 storage (also 9 spots for the same functionality, and slightly worse space efficiency than the 3x3 battery with its 500 storage with 9 times the space)

Kharnellius

Quote from: mirror corparation on January 19, 2017, 05:15:00 AM
maybe make it a 2x4 command node without batteries, and add a separate 1x1 battery with 50 storage (also 9 spots for the same functionality, and slightly worse space efficiency than the 3x3 battery with its 500 storage with 9 times the space)
Hah, I literally posted almost the same idea in another thread some time ago.  See?!  It's a good idea.  We should get it implemented!   ;)

Ironbreaker9

So I recommend a small 1x1 module to attach ships. I have made a few mega ships but they are completely impractical due to the fact each piece needs moved individually