PRPL commands help needed

Started by Stickman, January 09, 2017, 12:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stickman

Hi, I need some help with PRPL commands.
I use Wiki PRPL Reference as my main source of information about the commands. Of you have a better source, please enlighten me.

1) Is there a command to set unit if visible or invisible?
2) Is there a command to change normal emitter to "flip" one?
3) Are there commands for ship spawner atributes? At least ones that sets ship type, as future behavior can be hijacked by PRPL. Same for Doppel Spawner.

Thank you in advance.
=====> This is a moderately pointy stick. You need to poke me with it once in three days if you need PRPL from me

Sorrontis

1) Probably
2) Likely
3) Of course

These are probably all ScriptVars ... and there's a problem that only V knows them right now :) Soon though
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Stickman

Quote from: Sorrontis on January 09, 2017, 12:30:08 AM
1) Probably
2) Likely
3) Of course

These are probably all ScriptVars ... and there's a problem that only V knows them right now :) Soon though

*after a brief introduction to ScriptVars
Awwww. I would like this "soon" to be sooner.
I wonder of Virgil can release something like "GetScriptVarList" command in the meantime for us.
=====> This is a moderately pointy stick. You need to poke me with it once in three days if you need PRPL from me

GoodMorning

The entire PRPL reference is effectively a giant list of ScriptVars for the whole of PRPL. And we're not finished documenting them.

I think I've reported more bugs than I've made wiki pages. How does this sound: When someone asks a question about a command, we do the page for it, or refer them to "V's working on other features, and we don't know". So the most-used commands will be done fast, and the others will be done slightly after they are needed.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Stickman

Quote from: GoodMorning on January 09, 2017, 01:20:07 AM
The entire PRPL reference is effectively a giant list of ScriptVars for the whole of PRPL. And we're not finished documenting them.

I think I've reported more bugs than I've made wiki pages. How does this sound: When someone asks a question about a command, we do the page for it, or refer them to "V's working on other features, and we don't know". So the most-used commands will be done fast, and the others will be done slightly after they are needed.

Correct me if I'm wrong - "The entire PRPL reference is effectively a giant list of ScriptVars for the whole of PRPL" means that anything not mentioned in Wiki PRPL Reference probably doesn't exist? Which probably means that setting unit visible or invisible is impossible via PRPL?

As for work on commands and understanding PRPL as whole, I must thank you personally, GM. I think your tutorial on moving units was a breaking point for me to start understanding how PRPL works and start making my own scripts.

GoodMorning

The wiki is from a snapshot...

Rambling story
I think that K75 got a copy of the relevant source code a while ago. Certainly there was a since-aborted attempt to create the docs in a kind of source format (CRPL was originally documented in XML). V created a compiler from this to basic HTML, and I rewrote it a little to make (bad) DokuWiki code. V fixed that, and now we have a wiki with nested legacy issues, originally based on copy/paste from source.
[close]

Since then, V has added more commands, which can be found in the DONE section of the TODO list (short term edition).

Invisibility is currently NYI, as fas as I know. SetScriptVar was the CRPL catch-almost-all for modifying numbers that V didn't want to give a dedicated command for. Given all the Emitter PRPL commands, I expect that it will prove easier for V to implement the remaining normal unit interaction commands as their own commands.

As for the other part, thank you. I'm glad that it helps, but I think that we need someone who has comparatively recently understood stack commands to write the PRPL 101 tutorial, because stack-based languages take a little time to understand.

It could also be argued that I have a vested interest in you learning to make interesting scripts. (I realised this after writing that how-to)

Stickman

Quote from: GoodMorning on January 09, 2017, 04:28:17 AM
Since then, V has added more commands, which can be found in the DONE section of the TODO list (short term edition).

As for the other part, thank you. I'm glad that it helps, but I think that we need someone who has comparatively recently understood stack commands to write the PRPL 101 tutorial, because stack-based languages take a little time to understand.

It could also be argued that I have a vested interest in you learning to make interesting scripts. (I realised this after writing that how-to)

Oh, yes, I'm browsing that topic regularly. Having struc controls is interesting. But, if I understand correctly, all this beta functionality woudn't work on 1.0.2

As a person who recently started making tiny simplistic scripts, I have no idea how can I explain to my past self all the weirdness of PRPL. It's a strange thing, it feels like a puzzle where you have to push all the misaligned parts together from different directions in one go. Until you do exactly that, some pieces you can kind of hold together, but nothing clicks into place firmly. But once I could break through some knowledge barrier, things clicked together and I acquired some basic understanding of PRPL. Like a framework, with vast gaping holes yet to fill, but it's something I can work with.

My first reaction for one of my first scripts was "OMYGOSH I CAN DO MAGIC" and second was "EVERYONE MUST DO MAGIC". So I might understand a feeling of "vested interest". Or not.

I studied some coding in university and still refer to PRPL as magic
Together, together, together, together. Word quota for "together" complete.

GoodMorning

The trick seems to boil down to "united we stand".