help moving onto land

Started by thrawn, October 04, 2016, 09:27:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrawn

I am having trouble figuring out how to move onto land with omnis that is already covered. I can't seem to kill anything on the land. Is there some place that give a guide of how to use each unit and what each one does? I know some of the ships you can select different targets, but it would be nice to have something to show what each one does. thanks

Tarmandan

What do you mean with already covered? Do you mean covered in red mire, as it blows up your omnis?

Well, your omnis have 2 built in functions and can get 2 more through techs.
First, they have a lathe. When you select an Omni you can see a little circle around it, that is the range of the lathe. Lathes can build energy mines, burn land if the rock burner tech is active, pick up amp gems, build struc if a "blueprint" is available, e. g. through the use of the defensive struc tech. They also can destroy emitters and enemy structures in general as well as burn away enemy struc (though not the "redprint").
The second function is miring land, making it blue. You gain energy from land mired blue and enemy structures die if they are on blue land (just like your omnis do on red mire). A landmass that is not fully mired red will absorb red particles that hit it, so omnis can indirectly destroy enemy particles by miring land. Also red emergent cannot spawn from blue land.

Through techs you can gain 2 more funtions, that are pretty selfexplanatory. First adds a reactor and once that tech is at 100% your omnis never need to be supplied with energy again. Very helpful. The other tech adds cannons. The range is far bigger than the lathe, standard cannon range I think.

Edit: If you can't move onto land because it is mired try moving several omnis on that land at the same time.

thrawn

Thanks for replying. Yes I was talking about land that is covered in red mire. I have 6 omnis and they all blow up before they can change any of the land under them. I have all but 3 of the tech upgrades. not sure which ones those are, but one must be rock burner tech because I don't see it listed.

Relli

Quote from: thrawn on October 04, 2016, 09:58:14 AM
Thanks for replying. Yes I was talking about land that is covered in red mire. I have 6 omnis and they all blow up before they can change any of the land under them.
If that's happening, there are really only two options. 1) Your Omnis simply have no energy. But the more likely one is...
2) Red Mire is fighting back. And by the sound of it, it's doing a pretty good job of it. This can happen a number of ways. There's an enemy structure whose job it is to mire land the same way your Omnis do. Also, if a particle in space hits the land, it will paint a tiny bit of mire. But if 20 particles hit the land, they'll paint 20 mire, so if a lot of particles are hitting it, they can reclaim territory VERY quickly. Look to see if there are a lot of particles pushed up against the land, stuck there. If there are, you need to get rid of those before you can mire the land for yourself.

19chickens

For example, in Daisy Chain there's an emitter surrounded by land.  I mobbed that with Omnis.  I lost the omnis but took out the emitter, letting me take that land.

bugbrain_04

One of the ways I've found to chew away at particles hugging the backside of a piece of land is to set a bunch of nearby cannons to attack land. As the mire gets blasted away, it will get replenished by those particles "landing," and you're essentially taking out particles by attacking the land. (Particularly useful if you can't get ships close enough to attack the particles directly.) Once the crowd's thinned out enough, you can proceed with the omni rush.

PhailRaptor

While it is very situational, it is worth noting that blue "friendly" Particulate will do for you exactly what red Particulate does.  Send a stream of blue particles at a landmass, and each one that makes contact will turn a pixel blue for you.  Depending on the scenario, this can create a pocket of land big enough for you to land an Omni, letting you push back the red Mire.

The "Warp Never Changes" supplemental mission is a great place to practice this, and is very much required in order to win.

mcsper

if you have cleared the red particles behind and your omnis are starting to get a foothold but still end up being destroyed before they can make a square of blue for them to sit on, then you can wait till your omni is almost dead then pause and move the omni just off land into a safe spot, unpause, let it build up health and move it back when its ready. Ideally as soon as the almost dead one lifts up you can place a full strength one in its place, and keep doing this until you have a foothold.

GoodMorning

For those who like numbers, an Omni can mire 4/sec, and with a full cannon tech can additionally shoot 2/sec, I think. Of course, this assumes enough power.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

strigvir

On the maps where particulate doesn't come through the mired land, you have a free reign with omnis. They take damage at fixed rate and only when landing, so with 4-5 omnis you can fly to any mire spawner and destroy it before they blow up, even if said mire spawner has a rate of 999. With generator and speed upgrades they are also perfect struc cleaners, as they are cheap to produce and get rebuilt pretty fast.

ShadeOfRed

I tend to look at the land I want to take, and try to see what is going to be an impediment.

Is there a lot of particles resting on the shoreline, waiting to turn the land red as you mire it?  If so, might need to clear those out by moving ships in to shoot them, ships in to fire cannons at red mire elsewhere, or simply destroy the emitters that are making them, if the emitter is in the middle you will need to do an omni suicide run, I'll talk about that below.

Are there mire spawners?  These are the red structures on land that will have a number on them, that number tells you how much mire they produce, obviously the higher the number the faster the make red mire.  If so, you might need an omni suicide run.

Is there an enemy cannon shooting your omni's down?  Then possibly sacrifice some ships to take the shots while your lathe ships flip/destroy the cannon if possible, if not, land outside the cannons range with the omni's and wait for you to OVERMIRE the cannons, then they can't fire back and you can get your omnis in to lathe the cannon.  Or...get rid of the energy node that is feeding that cannon.  If you get rid of it's power source, it will only have what energy it already has stored to shoot with and you can just bait it with ships or omnis to empty it's magazine.

Suicide runs are basically taking all your omni's, using the SHIFT key to set the yellow waypoints and moving them safely over to what you want to destroy (mire spawner, cannon, energy node, emitter) and landing them close enough around the objective so they can all lathe on it.  In many cases, 3 omni's can take one of these down before they all are destroyed, or at the very least make it so when you do it a second time it won't have healed all it's damage so it will die that time.  You can often move in with waypoints, land, destroy your objective, as soon as you do, take them off and move them with waypoints to another objective and do it again, while the omni's are in the air they will heal some allowing you to hit two or three targets before having to be rebuilt.  With 6 omni's you should be able to take out several things before requiring a rebuild. 

On almost EVERY single map I play with land that can be mired, my first two Amp Gems go to Omni Reactors and Omni Cannons.  The cannons help with clearing mire by allowing the omni's to shoot at it which means that it takes less effort to mire.  A red mired square takes two successive mires to turn blue, one to clear the red mire and one to turn it blue, but if you have already shot the mire once, it only takes the single mire from your omni to turn it blue.  The reactors allow me to take the energy drain off my energy mines once they are built.  This saves me power early on and when Omni Reactors isn't at a 100% yet, I tend to build my omnis and immediately move them out of the energy mines range to allow them to supply their own energy.  And it allows me to send them on missions well out of energy mine or tanker range. 

I hope that helps.  :)