Custom Map #482: Infestation. By: Decagon

Started by AutoPost, December 26, 2016, 08:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #482: Infestation

Author: Decagon
Size: 448x252

Desc:
Utilising the Rift portal created by defeating the Grand Menace, the HDF fleet arrive at the second-to-last Progenitor facility, which appears to be very much in peril due to the unwanted addition of a bugs nest to its exterior. The facility's automated defences don't appear to be too happy about that, and see everything else as a threat that needs exterminating too. WARNING: This map contains a ship larger than normally allowed. I have not encountered any issues; play at your own risk.

Keeper Decagon

So, uh, this map is turning out to be getting a bit of a lower rating than most of my other maps, second only to Delving Deeper (which, in all honesty, was an unbalanced mess and was an experiment more than anything else).

I would just like to know what people thought of it, to rate it as low as it is. Was it the Scaffold causing issues? Was the facility too hard to crack? Was it something else?

I'll take any old criticism, since I want to make my maps more enjoyable for people.
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

iwishforpie1

Quote from: Keeper Decagon on December 28, 2016, 04:38:21 PM
So, uh, this map is turning out to be getting a bit of a lower rating than most of my other maps, second only to Delving Deeper (which, in all honesty, was an unbalanced mess and was an experiment more than anything else).

I would just like to know what people thought of it, to rate it as low as it is. Was it the Scaffold causing issues? Was the facility too hard to crack? Was it something else?

I'll take any old criticism, since I want to make my maps more enjoyable for people.

I really liked the map, but the only problem was the end, which seemed like a drag trying to get through the Facility. I used omnis to take out the Northern and middle part of it, but I just couldn't get the southern part, even with ships.

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: iwishforpie1 on December 28, 2016, 09:51:03 PM
Quote from: Keeper Decagon on December 28, 2016, 04:38:21 PM

I really liked the map, but the only problem was the end, which seemed like a drag trying to get through the Facility. I used omnis to take out the Northern and middle part of it, but I just couldn't get the southern part, even with ships.

Ah, I see. I feared that people might have trouble with it.

Spoiler
The way the facility is best beaten (including the southern part) is remotely building Omnis from afar. If you use a Heavy Cruiser to shield an Amped Support Frigate or Carrier, you should be able to build Omnis amidst the enemy turrets, and so should kill them without issue (especially since mire isn't a factor) as well as lathing the Totems, which can also be remotely activated using a Port-bearing ship.  That's the way I beat it, anyway.
[close]

I'll see if I can either make things more apparent as to the tactics required to beat an Omni section, or I'll just dump the idea and focus on normal map mechanics instead.
"For me, there is no honour or glory. No praise to be had for what I do. I fulfill my purpose for the protection of all... neither of us are going to make it out of here alive." - ?? ??, 145th CE

Stickman

Quote from: Keeper Decagon on December 29, 2016, 08:40:24 AM
I'll see if I can either make things more apparent as to the tactics required to beat an Omni section, or I'll just dump the idea and focus on normal map mechanics instead.

Some people on youtube ( as examples)suggest introducing similar stuff (mechanics, tactics, etc) gradually, moving from simple and safe setups to familiarize player with an idea to more complex and dangerous setups later in the level. Thus player still has difficult task to perform at the end, but it's not a sudden wall of difficulty.
So, going with this mentality, a couple of difficulty iterations would look like this:
Spoiler

Flip emitter "cave" should probably be even deeper, maybe to the extent of becoming "channel"
[close]
I don't know if this example or overall concept fits into PF maps, but I'm just tossing an idea. If image above is confusing in terms of "teaching particular omni tactics", then I messed up and this whole idea is not good.
=====> This is a moderately pointy stick. You need to poke me with it once in three days if you need PRPL from me

jcheung

i liked the map. until the end, that is.
i immediately started pushing out remote omni builds, but my port kept getting nailed...
so after 20 minutes i finally smartened up a little and launched all 3 amped carriers that had ports together. too much material for them to punch through. however, as it turned out... the one onmi i snuck into that corner already built the totem... so i ended up spending 20 minutes to power up a totem xD

Dark Ambition

I thought I already responded to this awhile ago DX

I loved this map, the end part was a long and a bit tedious, but the rest was awesome to me!

Keeper Decagon

So yeah, the Omni section was a bit pants. You'll be glad to know, however, that this will be the final map with such a... drastic approach to off-the-wall Omni tactics.

ColonelSandersLite

Skimming the descriptions of your maps, I am under the impression that they are meant to be played in series.  Is this correct?

Also:
Spoiler
Your creatures are getting hungry!
[close]

Dark Ambition

Quote from: ColonelSandersLite on January 07, 2017, 04:14:25 AM
Skimming the descriptions of your maps, I am under the impression that they are meant to be played in series.  Is this correct?

Also:
Spoiler
[close]

Yep.

Keeper Decagon

Quote from: ColonelSandersLite on January 07, 2017, 04:14:25 AM

Yeah, pretty much.

Quote from: ColonelSandersLite on January 07, 2017, 04:14:25 AMAlso:
Spoiler
[close]

:P