CW3 - Mac OSX Unity Issues

Started by DavidTriphon, December 26, 2016, 04:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidTriphon

Hello, long time casual player here,

Creeper World 3 has been working off and on for me the past few weeks. Sometimes it boots up fine and runs like a charm, and others it refuses to start.

I've tried researching the issue that popped up in the unity player log, supposedly it's only a bug on iOS. No idea why it's happening on OSX 10.12.2 then. The crash report also says it's thread 13 "UnityGfxDeviceWorker" that crashed the game. This happens almost instantly during startup while the KC logo is fading in.

The first crash will usually bring up the Mac "Problem Report for CW3" Window with "CW3 quit unexpectedly" message. If I try to boot it up after that, it'll ask me if I want to reopen it from where it crashed. If I reopen from where it was, it just does the same thing but freezes instead of crashes. If I don't reopen it and restart the whole program again, it crashes and tries to ask me to reopen again. Hopefully someone else is more familiar with these messages than I am?

I can play perfectly fine sometimes, but randomly being unable to boot the game is irritating. Neither Steam restarts nor computer restarts seem to affect it.

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Model: MacBookPro11,2, BootROM MBP112.0138.B18, 4 processors, Intel Core i7, 2.3 GHz, 16 GB, SMC 2.18f15
Graphics: Intel Iris Pro, Intel Iris Pro, Built-In

knucracker

Part of the stack track in the player log points to the "overlay".  Try disabling the steam overlay and see if that improves things.  Right click the game in the steam client then select properties.  From there, you can uncheck a checkbox to disable the steam overlay.

DavidTriphon

Wow, that worked. I booted it up once to make sure it wouldn't just randomly work like before, and it didn't work. Then I went in settings and disabled the overlay, and it started up fine. That's nuts. It'll take more playing to see if this is a good permanent fix, but it works! Thanks Virgil! Too bad I can't use the overlay anymore though.

knucracker

You might be able to in the future.  Valve updates the overlay from time to time, so I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't get fixed in the near future so you don't experience a crash with it.