Otterbears CW3 Maps

Started by Otterbear, December 17, 2016, 05:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otterbear

I purchased a new computer, and had all my CW3 data on the old one. I didn't realize this for quite a while. Now that I've re-purchased a second copy, I am wondering if/how I can download my/these maps. They were up-loaded a while ago. Are they still in the library as I cannot find them. Is this a newer version of the game or some such? TIA.

Karsten75

There was no need to buy a new copy. If you had your keys, you could simply download the files and re-install them.  http://knucklecracker.com/particlefleet/redownload.php

If you had lost your key, providing proof of purchase (email, etc.) to Virgil, he would issue new keys.

As for your maps, that is indeed puzzling. We do not have any policy, system or mechanic for removing maps, unless they are offensive.

I looked through the list of removed maps and could find no indication that your maps had been removed either.

I moved this question into the Support forum. Maybe Virgil has additional insight?

Edit:  I looked through your posting history. It would seem that you created some maps before Colonial Space was implemented.  So it's entirely possible that the only two map you shared with the community are those in your  thread:  http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14791.0?

knucracker

Yeah, other than the two maps k75 found perhaps you didn't actually upload some of the maps you are thinking about to Colonial Space.  They might have just been local on your old machine.

Otterbear

Thanks Karsten75, and Virgilw.

All my keys and emails ect...were on the old system. To be fair, getting my old computer back up and running, re-setting everything (e-mail accounts, finding my old keys ect...) would have been more of a pain, than a re-purchase. (I've actually done this twice!) lol.

Question. It sounds like at least two of the maps I made.(I don't actually remember making more than two), are somewhere out there. Is it possible to play them? They don't show in the list of up-loaded maps. I've tried typing in the names into the text space...I don't actually see a "by name" option. Thanks again, for the help.

GoodMorning

To search by name, prefix it with author:NAME
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Relli

Quote from: Otterbear on December 19, 2016, 06:04:39 AM
Question. It sounds like at least two of the maps I made.(I don't actually remember making more than two), are somewhere out there. Is it possible to play them? They don't show in the list of up-loaded maps. I've tried typing in the names into the text space...I don't actually see a "by name" option. Thanks again, for the help.
From what's been said so far, it seems like you never uploaded the maps in the first place. You should be able to tell very quickly whether you did or not by using what GoodMorning said, searching the words "author:Otterbear". If you used a different name back then, you would need to use that instead. But most likely, you will find nothing there. Karsten has already posted a location where you can find and redownload your games. You posted them here on the forums, like many did back in the early days, and you can simply download them from there again.

PS: Emails aren't tied to a computer. You just need its name and its password and you can get into it on any computer. Then if you store your game keys in the email, you can always reach them when you need them, however many years later.

Karsten75

I linked you to your maps, you also posted this in the relevant topic originally.

In the first post here (http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14791.msg108659#msg108659) there are attachments. The .cw3 attachments are the maps you uploaded to the forums.

Here are the specific download links from that topic.

http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=14791.0;attach=16420
http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=14791.0;attach=16423

Builder17

Edit: That Load file thing is too easy to forget it's there and some people don't know it at all , I think.  :-[

Karsten75

Quote from: Builder17 on December 19, 2016, 10:15:06 AM
And to use cw3 files you get from there , you need to create new project from map editor menu of game and copy paste these files to there.

No, you don't. You can simply click on the "Load file" planet circling the DMD and point to the file download location.

Otterbear

Thank you all for your kind help and patience. I have downloaded the maps and will upload them into the database shortly. I'm sorry I didn't catch the download link the first time. I Very much appreciated you pointing that out, and providing the links.

EDIT:I have downloaded the maps. I can now play them...but I'm a little unclear as to where they should be put (folder wise), in order to upload them to the main map database. *I've tried "World Editor", and "Finalized".(The other folders don't seem relevant.) When I place the files into either "World Editor" or "Finalized" and go into projects, nothing shows under current projects or finalized.
Any ideas? TIA.

GoodMorning

To do am editor import, place a map into a folder you create in the /WorldEditor directory. Then rename your map file to save.cw3

This will cause it to show up in the editor under the name of the folder you created.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Otterbear

Thanks for the info GoodMorning. (I'm starting to remember some of this stuff, its been awhile.) Oddly enough, I'm getting scores from previous players, even though I cannot locate the maps in the Main Map Database. I'm fairly certain that I uploaded these maps.

Karsten75

Quote from: Otterbear on December 20, 2016, 02:15:26 AM
Thanks for the info GoodMorning. (I'm starting to remember some of this stuff, its been awhile.) Oddly enough, I'm getting scores from previous players, even though I cannot locate the maps in the Main Map Database. I'm fairly certain that I uploaded these maps.

Anyone that downloaded and played the map could have posted a score and those scores are kept in a database on the server. In theory it should be possible to upload them without going through finalizing and playing, I just don't know exactly what you 'd need to do.
You can try the following:

in creeperworkld3 folder in your Documents, create a Finalized sub-folder.

Within Finalized, create a folder named for each map, eg. Vulcan.

In this folder, put the cw3 map eg. Vulcan.cw3, a screenshot of the map in native state, names screenshot.jpg.

Now see if it shows up in your finalized list of maps and are ready for upload.

Note: if you edit or save the map, then the map GUID will change and this won't work, since the upload process will look to see if there are scores for the UID in the database before permitting an upload.

Otterbear

I did manage to get them to show up in the editor. I finalized them, and now they show up as finalized. However, there is no "upload" option.

I have yet to try your way. I will.

Karsten75

As I said, if you edit them at all, then there is a new UID associated with the map and you have to play that new map and upload the score before the map can be uploaded.