Custom Map #443: Strong Particles. By: JoaoPistori

Started by AutoPost, December 15, 2016, 11:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #443: Strong Particles

Author: JoaoPistori
Size: 320x280

Desc:
#PRPL - Custom Modules Ships! This map is more for a training of my next map. In this map particles have increased health and will be hardly destroyed by common ships. You must tactically use the modified ships to achieve victory. There's also a lot of enemy ships and doppels to fight against! This map might not be fun if played with custom fleet.

planetfall

Pro tip good sir!

GetShipEnergy and SetShipEnergy now exist. I really do need to update the custom module thread with scripts that use that instead of SetGlobalStoredEnergy. I've been using them for a while and was a bit confused when the weapons weren't firing but the ships were fully powered.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

JoaoPistori

Thanks for the information! Already checked them on the wiki. I'll change it at my next map.
Spoiler
Set/Get Globalenergy did effect in "The Ultimate Ship Factory", because you really need to make use of them, however this map should have been made with Set/get Shipenergy
[close]

Stickman

@JoaoPistori

Modules with fixed firing arcs are an interesting idea. Would you consider adding Grabber module to ships with forward-firing weapons in future for player to have a targeting mechanism? That's a crude solution.

Completely messed up my first playthrough so far, didn't expect larger treats near the spawn while I was massing my fleet around upper-right side of the map. Would try again.
=====> This is a moderately pointy stick. You need to poke me with it once in three days if you need PRPL from me

JoaoPistori

Not exactly the grabber module, as it changes ship's fighting method (if there's blue particles), size, cost, CM protection (more hull = more hull to absorb damage) and also if grabber is damaged, the "grabber aim" would be temporary lost, but this could be part of the ship micro-management.

What I thought to add in next map was to show lines* like the grabber module limited by its range or like the Sleeper units radius display (I think the name was "CRadiusDisplay.crpl"), cutting off area that doesn't match angle aiming (probably I will have to create new cropped images for each angle limit). This could also be added into all others custom modules.

* = show lines/radius display when mouse cursor is over the ship, or if the ship is selected (I'll check if there's a function for this) or when an on/off hotkey is pressed

Stickman

Quote from: JoaoPistori on December 15, 2016, 03:48:40 PM
Not exactly the grabber module, as it changes ship's fighting method (if there's blue particles), size, cost, CM protection (more hull = more hull to absorb damage) and also if grabber is damaged, the "grabber aim" would be temporary lost, but this could be part of the ship micro-management.

What I thought to add in next map was to show lines* like the grabber module limited by its range or like the Sleeper units radius display (I think the name was "CRadiusDisplay.crpl"), cutting off area that doesn't match angle aiming (probably I will have to create new cropped images for each angle limit). This could also be added into all others custom modules.

* = show lines/radius display when mouse cursor is over the ship, or if the ship is selected (I'll check if there's a function for this) or when an on/off hotkey is pressed

These are good news, thank you
=====> This is a moderately pointy stick. You need to poke me with it once in three days if you need PRPL from me

chozabu

Darn good map! Nice to see so much custom PRPL stuff, and be a good balanced challenge

GoodMorning

One advantage of working my gradual way through the Exchange is that I come to this now. Thank you for it.

Regarding firing arcs, you may find the solution I employed in the Shipyard script useful. Essentially, take a box, stretch it into a line, then add a number (~50 is good on a full circle) of segments to make an approximate circle. It works well enough I wouldn't know the difference.

One tiny change I would make to the custom modules: if they can't find a unit target to fire at for more than (say) double their reloading time, fire at particles. Or perhaps add a manual-fire command (on alt-click?). This would make them somewhat less useless against leftover particles, which take an irritatingly long time to clean up here.

Thanks again (though it seems you haven't been around in more than a month, so who knows when you'll read this...)

Now to quit for the time being, and allocate most of tomorrow to your (the) next map.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

pasqualz

I know its been a long time since anyone discussed this map, but I thought I'd comment. I gave this map a low rating because I've tried multiple times and can't beat it. I've taken over the whole left side of the map but seem to be in a stalemate, as I cannot attack the two multi MK3 ship at the bottom or in the middle. I've tried to send in all my ships, but the extremely tough particles, coupled with the constant and fast firepower from the ships just shreds all my ships. There also does not appear to be any power supplying ships in my inventory so moving my ships into an area that has no power source makes them innefective. Perhaps someone stioll monitors this thread and has some hints for me about starting strategy. I've retried the map by focusing on the middle bottom at the start and can't seem to build up enough firepower to take out that MK3 ship before it gest built. Help.

GoodMorning

From what I can tell, the intended solution is to next capture the top of the map. This will net you some additional ships, and pave the way to firing on the top-right corner with three Siege ships and two Demolishers. If you can do this before the tough Emitter comes online, it is much easier.

After that, capture the ship pickup on the far right by building a lathe in the box. It should be clear from that point.

Johnny Haywire

Hey pasqualz, welcome to the forum!

The key to taking out all the mk3 ships and the heavy particle spawners is to get the ship on the far right side. But beware - it takes a LONG time to build. Once you get that the ones on the middle and bottom are pretty easy to destroy. Just sit there with the big ship and let it hit the ships for a few minutes.

The lower right corner is tough. I only played this through once and didn't do a great job - I ended up having to rebuild my "mini-Thor" once before I took it.

It looks like it's a good idea to warp your HQ over to the right side & take the mine near the Thor blueprint so you can build a lathe in the little niche that's made just for a lathe. Then you can either take the mines north of that & build some omnis on the island with the gem factories to take the island, or warp to the upper left and take that island along with its blueprints... lots of options. But the Thor is the key to this map.

Hope that helps!  ;)
You disagree with this sentence, don't you?

GoodMorning

Further to that - most JoaoPistori maps can be rushed through, at least to some extent. If you can capture an area before the Emitter comes online, then it's much quicker and easier. And that means you have more time for the next area...

The MK7 ships are best handled by pointing every Siege module you have at them, and protecting as best you can with other ships until the energy reserve is drained.